Insurance question

Shoobie8

I have Home Owners Ins.company.  $392 per 6 months.  With insurance... the devil is in the details.  We have both comprehensive and collision replacement value w/$1k deductable, Road trouble service- all reasonable costs, Vacation Emergency expense (hotel expenses $250 per day) and liability, Contents $5k and awning replacement (zero deductable).

My replacement value has a limit extending out to 3 years... After that I think we need to determine a new replacement value going forward.

• Thanks 1

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

USAA

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

We have had Amica since we purchased our LEII in 2019.  After the first year, Amica was using the list price less depreciation that didn't include the extensive options or take into consideration of their actual replacement cost.  We had them do a special underwriting using a number we felt represented the actual replacement cost in year 2 and 3.  We will no doubt need to discuss this at our next renewal.

• Like 1

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

My Oliver is/was new but -- I have USAA and they actually work with Progressive for Travel Trailers so I'd follow that advice. USAA rocks. After Hurricane Ian (I'm in the hardest hit area of southwest Florida) I was evacuated by a friend to Jacksonville. USAA worked with me on the phone, and I had my settlement (for a TOTALED new truck) in hand before 3 weeks passed, and was able to replace my truck in Jacksonville. My Oliver had NO damage, because it was stored in a new facility north of me, under cover. 

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• 5 months later...

We’ve noticed that our Progressive RV coverage, (we have USAA auto/home) have increased their rates about 20 percent. Curious what companies other Olie owners are using, and their thoughts on experiences with those companies. Thanks. 
David

Kim and David Thompson Nomads' Nest 2018 LE2 #366 2018 Toyota Tundra, 4x4, 5.7L

1 hour ago, thompsonkd said:

We’ve noticed that our Progressive RV coverage, (we have USAA auto/home) have increased their rates about 20 percent. Curious what companies other Olie owners are using, and their thoughts on experiences with those companies. Thanks. 
David

I used Progressive via USAA/General Agency my first year.  Year two I saw a 20% increase.  After getting on the phone with Progressive it became apparent that first year was discounted and a new policy issue could have three different premiums depending on whether you used USAA/Other Insurance Company/Broker, the web or called and had a rep issue the policy.

I ended up cancelling the USAA renewal and generated a new policy with Progressive. Not sure what I'll do this year, as I think the policy renewed while I was traveling.

Looks like it increased and renewed at $1600 for $65K agreed value coverage in Texas.  Deductible decreases 25% each year you are claims free. Premiums will vary by state/location.

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderators

Our progressive auto insurance shot up 40 per cent this year. No accidents or tickets for decades. 

Needless to say, we are shopping.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Progressive went $450 to $500. I suspect the high increases are in the south and south east (hurricanes).

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We have had USAA for 3 decades for all our ☂️insurance coverage. Yes, we have seen our rates jump without ever having filed any claims. All said it would require a deep discount for us to switch carriers only to see the slow creep price increase of signing up with a new carrier. Sure a local carrier can tailor an insurance policy to your needs but ultimately you will eventually see your costs creep up it’s economics. 

Not a full subscriber to just stormy weather in the south causing rate increases. New construction costs, storms, wildfires, mudslides, and floods naturally do contribute to rate increases across the board. So I believe there is a far bigger picture such as insurance companies are taking on massive losses. 
State Farm and Geico recently made the decision to stop doing new business in job killing California due to over regulation. Also factor in social unrest in many states with businesses being looted and eventually closing their doors.
We live in interesting times. It would come as no surprise to me to see other large insurance companies walk away from other over regulated states. For times such as these!

https://www.foxbusiness.com/small-business/recalifornia-killing-another-industry-families-need

Patriot🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 12/16/2022 at 9:24 PM, Geronimo John said:

USAA

Same here...  Been using them for our TT's since 2008 - had a claim after a double-deer strike, USAA came to the rescue as always!

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 6/20/2023 at 5:51 PM, thompsonkd said:

Curious what companies other Olie owners are using, and their thoughts on experiences with those companies

Working with Farmers Insurance (we were with Met Life, which was purchased recently by Farmers), we got a policy for our Ollie through Foremost Insurance at $1K/yr (we live in VA). No increase yet but we’ve only had it for 1 yr. BTW, our homeowners, auto, & personal liability insurances have all gone up this year, no claims made 🤔.

Do you have to be (or have been) affiliated with the military to get coverage by USAA?

‘22 Ram 1500 4x4 Eco-diesel | ‘22 OTT LE2 hull # 1056 | Eastern VA

As I am still waiting for delivery of the 2023 LE II, I asked my agent if the policy from him offered "replacement value".  

His answer, "Our policies are "actual cash value".  Is that the same as ""replacement value"?

This is what the Shelter website said

image.thumb.png.65e6ae6e49534461f1d13a75c726be2a.png

https://www.shelterinsurance.com/insurance/rvinsurance/coverageoptions/

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

1 hour ago, Paul and Santina said:

Do you have to be (or have been) affiliated with the military to get coverage by USAA?

USAA insurance is only for military members' and veterans' direct family members. Anyone besides a current or former spouse and children will not be eligible for USAA insurance coverage.

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 hours ago, Paul and Santina said:

Working with Farmers Insurance (we were with Met Life, which was purchased recently by Farmers), we got a policy for our Ollie through Foremost Insurance at $1K/yr (we live in VA). No increase yet but we’ve only had it for 1 yr. BTW, our homeowners, auto, & personal liability insurances have all gone up this year, no claims made 🤔.

Progressive writes an Agreed Value policy. It's not replacement cost, but if the trailer was totaled they would pay the policy limit. You don't want an ACV policy on a Oliver...or be prepared to justify your perceived value at the time of loss.

• Like 3

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Patriot said:

USAA insurance is only for military members' and veterans' direct family members. Anyone besides a current or former spouse and children will not be eligible for USAA insurance coverage.

I think they’ve opened it up a little more.  First, if you are a veteran, non-retiree, you must be honorably discharged.  If you have a membership then your children, their spouse and children are eligible even if you got your membership as the child of someone who was eligible.  In other words, grandkids of the originally eligible person.  I believe it can carry on like that through successive generations.  Someone can check me on that….

I’ve been a member for 50 years.  I also worked in their original building just outside of Fort Sam Houston after the army leased it from them when they moved to their new building (which has more office space than the Pentagon, they say).  

I’m not happy that USAA won’t directly insure RVs, but uses Progressive instead.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

I think they’ve opened it up a little more.  First, if you are a veteran, non-retiree, you must be honorably discharged.  If you have a membership then your children, their spouse and children are eligible even if you got your membership as the child of someone who was eligible.  In other words, grandkids of the originally eligible person.  I believe it can carry on like that through successive generations.  Someone can check me on that….

I’ve been a member for 50 years.  I also worked in their original building just outside of Fort Sam Houston after the army leased it from them when they moved to their new building (which has more office space than the Pentagon, they say).  

I’m not happy that USAA won’t directly insure RVs, but uses Progressive instead.  Mike

It has to do with state insurance laws. In Indiana my truck camper and now our Oliver E2 are insured by USAA. 

• Like 1

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY