Title, tax and license

RustyMD

Anyone besides me have a bit of a surprise with regard to the amount of the title, tax and license fee when they went to the courthouse to register their trailer? For me in Texas it was ~$5,000. I’m pretty sure I was informed that I wasn’t paying sales tax in Tennessee, but the amount in Texas was a significant add on to the cost of the trailer. Just feeling kind of ignorant and surprised.

Robert Youens

• Like 1

Robert Youens

2023 LEII Hull #1304

TV 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi e-torque with tow package

Not surprised.   We have a sales tax on everything except food here in Ohio.   We pay 7.25% here... which I thought was high.  I was surprised that in Tennessee it was 8%!  Investigating... I learned that there is typically a state sales tax and then local county taxes added on as voted on by each county.    For example, Ohio starts out at 5.75%... but then local taxes added on... total up to our 7.25%.   

Is it a bite?  No it's HUGE BITE!!!!

• Like 1

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

I expect most of the cost is the Texas use tax.   Use tax is the way states collect tax on vehicles purchased in another state.  Since the "sale" occurs outside the state, Texas cannot collect "sales" tax.  But, if you want to "use" your trailer, you must license it, so states with sales tax normally tax the "use" of the vehicle at the same rate as if it was purchased in the state.

If you lived in a state with no sales tax (like Oregon), you would normally pay no use tax.

When you buy a vehicle in another state (like Tennessee), you are not required to pay Tennessee sales tax.  But, you must pay use tax in the state in which you title and license the vehicle, in your case, Texas.

We were not surprised by our high Idaho title, use tax and licensing fees, because we knew we were bound to pay the use tax when we titled our Oliver.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

We were not surprised.  We expected to pay sales/use tax when we registered.  We were a little used to that because we’ve purchased vehicles in Europe, tax free, and when we came back to the US and registered them (in Texas) we had the state tax to pay.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I saved a few bucks , I told our sales guy to  put the  Oliver cover on the bill of sale.. so I paid 6.50% sale tax in the county I live in Ohio instead of the 8% in Tennessee if I got it separate….  I knew what the hit was going to be when I titled it..

2022 Elite I  # 1179  |  2024 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crewmax. 5.5 ft. Bed. 3.31gears 10 spd.trans

3 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

I expect most of the cost is the Texas use tax.   Use tax is the way states collect tax on vehicles purchased in another state.  Since the "sale" occurs outside the state, Texas cannot collect "sales" tax.  But, if you want to "use" your trailer, you must license it, so states with sales tax normally tax the "use" of the vehicle at the same rate as if it was purchased in the state.

If you lived in a state with no sales tax (like Oregon), you would normally pay no use tax.

When you buy a vehicle in another state (like Tennessee), you are not required to pay Tennessee sales tax.  But, you must pay use tax in the state in which you title and license the vehicle, in your case, Texas.

We were not surprised by our high Idaho title, use tax and licensing fees, because we knew we were bound to pay the use tax when we titled our Oliver.

Oregon has no sales tax, but since January 1, 2018 there is a "use tax" when a vehicle is bought in another state.  Ours is 1/2 of 1% of the sales price.  I didn't know about this tax since we buy vehicles very rarely.  It was a surprise, but not a huge amount.  Ours came to about $430.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

No surprise,  as we'd brought other vehicles in, and looked ahead to the taxes and fees.

It is what it is.  As @Katjo said, what can you do...   not much. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 12/18/2022 at 7:42 AM, RustyMD said:

For me in Texas it was ~$5,000.

True.  At least the $68/year for the registration is super reasonable in TX.  

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Indeed, a lot, but I knew it was coming. I had it built into the financing and Oliver cut me the check back. I'm in CA and mine was over $6k. They (DMV) almost dinged me for another $600 late fee on the registration, but I explained my purchase was in Tennessee and I didn't ENTER Calif. until a week later. That extra day saved me $600!

• Like 2

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing we owed zero sales tax in Tenn on the purchase, we went over to our local DMV and got an estimate on our approximate sales tax, and registration and property tax fees. This allowed us to have our payment to the DMV ready once we returned home to register our Ollie. 

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

In Arizona, it's state, county and city sales taxes (unless buying from a private party aka previous owner), plus the insurance costs AND your Arizona license plate.

The Arizona license plate for our 2020 cost us $825.  You can imagine what a new Class A license plate would cost!

Charlie.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4