Ceramic Coating Necessary?

Dwain Kitchens

I have been reading threads on this topic and I am a little confused.

I thought the Oliver would be fairly easy to maintain, but now I am questioning this assumption.

1. Is a ceramic coating necessary to protect the trailer?

2. If it is done, say 5 years after purchase, will it restore shine?

3. Can simply washing and waxing keep the Oliver looking good.

Thanks for info.

Dwain

From my understanding, it is not necessary at all. It does make the upkeep easier though. And, from my reading of other owner’s post, it can restore the shine to some degree. If you don’t mind periodically waxing your Ollie, it is not needed. Carrie and I are not good at such upkeep, even though we have intentions to do so. We decided to get the ceramic coating for this reason. 

Kirk

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators
20 hours ago, snakeriveridaho said:

Carrie and I are not good at such upkeep, even though we have intentions to do so.

Thank you for displaying the courage to admit your limitations and taking a proactive approach!

Mossey

Edited by mossemi
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Our trailer is 7 years old.  No ceramic.  I wash after each trip and wax 2 or 3 times a years.  Still looks pretty good.

I’m thinking I’ll do the ceramic thing sometime in the near future.  Just have to find a window when we’re not out and about.  Mike

• Like 7

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

4 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Our trailer is 7 years old.  No ceramic.  I wash after each trip and wax 2 or 3 times a years.  Still looks pretty good.

I’m thinking I’ll do the ceramic thing sometime in the near future.  Just have to find a window when we’re not out and about.  Mike

Mike,

What kind of wax do you use?  What do you use to wash it?  Thanks.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

Our TV paint is completely covered with XPEL.com 8 mil paint protection.  It really maintains a nice shine and protects the paint from road rash nicks and dings etc. It’s also completely ceramic coated which does not mean maintenance free. A little easier to wash yes. I use a ceramic fusion spray every third or fourth wash to maintain the ceramic coating glossy shine.
It is highly recommended that a PH neutral car wash soap be used when washing a ceramic coated vehicle to extend the life of the CC. To keep our CC looking it’s best for the long haul there is a little additional elbow work involved to keep it looking great and shedding water at least in my experience. (Link below)

We are going to continue to maintain our Ollie with simple washing and waxing. After long trips we typically give our Ollie a good detail after we arrive back home and so far this has worked really well for us.

We have found all XPEL products work extremely well.

https://www.xpel.com/ceramic-coating-fusion-plus

Patriot 🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Here is the PH neutral soap I use when washing CC TV. This was highly recommended by the tech that did the Ceramic coating. I feel sure any PH neutral soap would be fine. I have been traveling and did not have the photos of this soap available. Here is what I use. 
-Patriot 🇺🇸

9FEC8E21-9FC1-4A29-AFC8-3823FDEC9985.thumb.jpeg.0c510a86d9726c9ef3cc045111b7ad63.jpegFBC96557-A8EF-4595-B7AE-933D4F81D150.thumb.jpeg.e6068a5b8faede28f809e95a1365e7a7.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
17 hours ago, John Welte said:

Mike,

What kind of wax do you use?  What do you use to wash it?  Thanks.

John

I’ve been using Meguiars Wash and Wax (Carnuba), big jug from Costco.  I use Meguiars Marine and RV Quick Wax most of the time and then Meguiars Clean and Wax usually once a year.  Our trailer is still pretty shiny, not like when it was new.  I’ll probably go the ceramic route sometime in the next year or so.  I’ve seen it rejuvenate a couple of older trailers that had lost their shine.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We had our 2022 coated (with two coats - supposed to give 5 yrs of protection). It isn't necessary, but WOW what a shine and no more factory swirls! Also, VERY easy to clean. You can do it anytime, but it shouldn't just be coated. There needs to be a good polishing in prep. I am VERY happy with the result. Also had PPF put ont the bottom 1/2 of the front to protect feom gravel, rocks, etc. 

Waxing is ok, but every 6 months is too much work and not as much protection - in my opinion.

• Like 2

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

So everything I’m going to say here applies to CGI detailing.  When you get your trailer ceramic coated they don’t just wash it and apply the coding. They detail the trailer first They’re going to remove all the old oxidation and really make it shine before they put the ceramic coating on.  If you have an older trailer and really want to bring back to shine and make it a whole lot easier to clean and and keep up I would highly recommend the ceramic coating and I highly recommend CGI. 

• Like 7

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

11 hours ago, Dave Mazone said:

We had our 2022 coated (with two coats - supposed to give 5 yrs of protection). It isn't necessary, but WOW what a shine and no more factory swirls! Also, VERY easy to clean. You can do it anytime, but it shouldn't just be coated. There needs to be a good polishing in prep. I am VERY happy with the result. Also had PPF put ont the bottom 1/2 of the front to protect feom gravel, rocks, etc. 

Waxing is ok, but every 6 months is too much work and not as much protection - in my opinion.

Dave, did CGI do it?

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

7 hours ago, John Welte said:

Dave, did CGI do it?

John

Hi John,

No, I had a local detailer here in Bakersfield, CA do it for us. I googled "ceramic auto coating" and received about 5 detailers in our area that professed to do it. After checking all the reviews, especially companies with lots of reviews, I choose my company. FYI: I paid $500 per coat (which I think was a very good deal - and the detailer confirmed it was far more work than he had anticipated). With the PPF film I paid $1300 for the entire job.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

5 hours ago, Dave Mazone said:

Hi John,

No, I had a local detailer here in Bakersfield, CA do it for us. I googled "ceramic auto coating" and received about 5 detailers in our area that professed to do it. After checking all the reviews, especially companies with lots of reviews, I choose my company. FYI: I paid $500 per coat (which I think was a very good deal - and the detailer confirmed it was far more work than he had anticipated). With the PPF film I paid $1300 for the entire job.

Good price.  I bet the next Ollie they do will be higher.  😂🤣.  I wrote back and forth to CGI and I thought since our trailer is #1290 that the prep would be very minimal.  They said that they still have to prep new trailers so the cost wasn't decreased.  I did put Rock Tamer mup flaps on and towing back to Oregon, it looked good.  

John

• Like 4

spacer.png

Everything oxidizes when left outside and in the sun, so not doing anything will defiantly speed up the oxidation process. On ours I buffed in once a year with a good marine fiberglass compound and our trailer after four years looks just like new, yes it does require getting up on some scuffling (ladder not recommended)  with a buffer and buffing it, not a fun job. Like I have said many times, being a retired body shop manger for some 30 plus years there is no miracle product that will stop oxidation, but removing it is possible and that's buff it off. The ceramic coatings my be the best way to go for some, but for myself, it's just a coverup and in time your will still have to have it buffed to get down to the original gel coat finish to get the original luster of the trailer back to where it all started. I realize this process may not be able to be done by many, so I would do what works for you, a nice metal building would also work, plus it does bring value to your property. 

trainman

• Like 8

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators
On 12/20/2022 at 7:26 AM, ScottyGS said:

So everything I’m going to say here applies to CGI detailing.  When you get your trailer ceramic coated they don’t just wash it and apply the coding. They detail the trailer first They’re going to remove all the old oxidation and really make it shine before they put the ceramic coating on.  If you have an older trailer and really want to bring back to shine and make it a whole lot easier to clean and and keep up I would highly recommend the ceramic coating and I highly recommend CGI. 

I concur!  CGI is currently in Texas and yesterday they applied 2 ceramic coatings to The Wonder Egg after a very impressive prep.  I've maintained #14 rather well over the last 15 years, with a semiannual wash and wax / polish.  It stays in its protective barn when not out traveling.  Seeing the CGI 4 man crew work over the exterior for 5 hours with their professional detailing tools was a sight to behold.  And all of that was simply to prepare The Wonder Egg for meticulously applying 2 complete coatings of Glidecoat Marine Ceramic Coating specifically formulated for gelcoat surfaces.  CGI members have a passion for creating a perfect mirror finish and the results are phenomenal. A high quality work and product for a high quality trailer is a great way to go.

CGI Detailing will be at the 2023 Oliver rally.  I recommend you stop by and check them out and take a look at all attending Olivers which have received their services. My 15 year old "Wonder Egg" looks better than its first day out of the factory and into the wild.  Thanks, guys!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Twist will be subjected to the CGI treatment at their home base in TN the week before the Rally.

While Twist isn't as old as the Wonder Egg I'm sure that it will look just as good.

See ya soon!

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Twist will be subjected to the CGI treatment at their home base in TN the week before the Rally.

While Twist isn't as old as the Wonder Egg I'm sure that it will look just as good.

See ya soon!

You'll be very pleased with the outcome. The Wonder Egg's owner isn't nearly as old as Twist's owner, and he looks much better.  🙂

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

I imagine it is too late now, but I'm going to call tomorrow to see if they have any available slots following the rally. I'm terrible about washing and waxing vehicles, and having owned several boats, I know how quickly fiberglass oxidizes.

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bugeyedriver said:

I concur!  CGI is currently in Texas and yesterday they applied 2 ceramic coatings to The Wonder Egg after a very impressive prep.

Pete, glad it went well!  They will be here Friday and Saturday to make ours look new…. Mike

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, bugeyedriver said:

The Wonder Egg's owner isn't nearly as old as Twist's owner, and he looks much better. 

Certainly just one of the many reason that I have to work harder to make anything near me look good.😁  Besides - someone has Bosker's cuteness to draw attention away from a lack of altitude.😇

• Care 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"