Ceramic Coating Necessary?

Dwain Kitchens

• Moderators

Hopefully the CGI guys didn't use up all of their polish on 135 - I'll be getting Twist done in about 3.5 weeks by these guys back in Murfreesboro, TN.  Can't wait 🙂

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The ceramic coating sure looks great on H-#135!  

"WAX-ON, WAX-OFF"

FYI:  We took a couple days on H-226 to get a baseline wax job done.  

Phase 1:  We start the 3-phase process with a general cleaning using a very diluted Simple Green wash-down.  After the wash-down, I complete the cleaning phase using a "ceramic mitt" which removes any oxidation and generally cleans the gel coat to prepare it for waxing.  The mitt is kept moist by a continuous spraying of the Simple Green solution.  The CGI guys use the ceramic stage as well in their process.  Phase 1 takes about an hour.  Break out the elbow grease.

Phase 2:  Applies a synthetic wax material which is an advanced polish and buffing creme.  It removes any staining and oxidation from the gel coat not removed by the ceramic mitt.  It's very similar to McGuire's RV polish (which I used previously).  I apply this material with a Cyclo Model 5-Pro, a 2-head polisher which saves tons of time.  The buffing creme goes on with the yellow-colored foam pads which are a bit stiffer than the green-color pads used in Phase 3.  Phase 2 takes me about 4 hours.  End of Day-1:  Break out a beer (or 3) and enjoy the Ollie Shine.

Phase 3:  You'll think you're done after Phase 2, but my professional auto detailer buddy insists that the buffing creme should be stabilized and "fixed" with an application of a high-quality carnuba/polymer high gloss creme wax, called, "Banana Creme Wax."  Switch over the pads and away we go...   4 hours later and the beer appears.

I start from the top and work my way down to the LED courtesy lights.  I'm impressed with the final outcome and according to my buddy, the Phase 2 product will last a year provided a couple applications of "Banana Creme" is done.  I can live with a half-day of polishing every 6 months.  It sure makes washing an easier endeavor after this coating is on.

As you see in the pic, both products are made by an outfit called, "Auto Brite."

FULL DISCLOSURE:  As a former vintage AS owner (both a 25 and 31-footer), maintaining the Ollie's gel coat in this manner is ahelluvalot easier than keeping the mirror shine on those babies!   And, oh, that Cyclo in the picture, it's my second one - burned out the first one on the 25-footer, HA!

IMG_7099.thumb.jpeg.c4beb801ce0d159ebc020db99d9ff792.jpeg

• Like 6

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

42 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

The ceramic coating sure looks great on H-#135!  

"WAX-ON, WAX-OFF"

FYI:  We took a couple days on H-226 to get a baseline wax job done.  

Phase 1:  We start the 3-phase process with a general cleaning using a very diluted Simple Green wash-down.  After the wash-down, I complete the cleaning phase using a "ceramic mitt" which removes any oxidation and generally cleans the gel coat to prepare it for waxing.  The mitt is kept moist by a continuous spraying of the Simple Green solution.  The CGI guys use the ceramic stage as well in their process.  Phase 1 takes about an hour.  Break out the elbow grease.

Phase 2:  Applies a synthetic wax material which is an advanced polish and buffing creme.  It removes any staining and oxidation from the gel coat not removed by the ceramic mitt.  It's very similar to McGuire's RV polish (which I used previously).  I apply this material with a Cyclo Model 5-Pro, a 2-head polisher which saves tons of time.  The buffing creme goes on with the yellow-colored foam pads which are a bit stiffer than the green-color pads used in Phase 3.  Phase 2 takes me about 4 hours.  End of Day-1:  Break out a beer (or 3) and enjoy the Ollie Shine.

Phase 3:  You'll think you're done after Phase 2, but my professional auto detailer buddy insists that the buffing creme should be stabilized and "fixed" with an application of a high-quality carnuba/polymer high gloss creme wax, called, "Banana Creme Wax."  Switch over the pads and away we go...   4 hours later and the beer appears.

I start from the top and work my way down to the LED courtesy lights.  I'm impressed with the final outcome and according to my buddy, the Phase 2 product will last a year provided a couple applications of "Banana Creme" is done.  I can live with a half-day of polishing every 6 months.  It sure makes washing an easier endeavor after this coating is on.

As you see in the pic, both products are made by an outfit called, "Auto Brite."

FULL DISCLOSURE:  As a former vintage AS owner (both a 25 and 31-footer), maintaining the Ollie's gel coat in this manner is ahelluvalot easier than keeping the mirror shine on those babies!   And, oh, that Cyclo in the picture, it's my second one - burned out the first one on the 25-footer, HA!

IMG_7099.thumb.jpeg.c4beb801ce0d159ebc020db99d9ff792.jpeg

That is an impressive shine you have on that Ollie! Nice work! 😊

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

54 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

And, oh, that Cyclo in the picture, it's my second one - burned out the first one on the 25-footer, HA!

You burned out a Cyclo?  I didn't think that was possible.  I have one and it seems to be indestructible.  I watched some young guys polish an entire DC-3 with an old Cyclo and they said the same thing.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

The CGI guys worked almost 12 hours straight yesterday to get our 7 year old trailer looking better than the day we picked it up!

F111A74B-6B5B-4D86-A0FC-9640E96FB704.thumb.jpeg.6530effa6574c8eaeef048def162eca2.jpeg

CE6DBE83-C774-45B5-9CDE-A45D7FB404CF.thumb.jpeg.f374d5d55524e300b5a8e5ac72faef89.jpeg

519DE3F6-AE73-4DEE-A766-C0817191CC31.thumb.jpeg.251f11b259c5764385f7d42d8ec27cc8.jpeg

All I can say is WOW!  Maybe I can hold back my IRS payment and get ‘er done!

Mossey

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
1 minute ago, mossemi said:

All I can say is WOW!  Maybe I can hold back my IRS payment and get ‘er done!

THAT sounds like a good plan to me!😇

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 1:35 PM, topgun2 said:

Hopefully the CGI guys didn't use up all of their polish on 135 - I'll be getting Twist done in about 3.5 weeks by these guys back in Murfreesboro, TN.  Can't wait 🙂

We had ours done last June...nice to get rid of the wax :)  CGI did a wonderful job!

John

• Like 4

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

6 hours ago, taylor.coyote said:

Does anyone clean the trailer with clay after washing and before applying wax?  

We used what's called a, "synthetic clay mitt" before applying the base wax.  They work great, just keep them "lubed" with either plain water or very diluted spray cleaner (we use Simple Green).  It's definitely not for everyone, but we've got the time so we knock it out.  The clay mitt removes any small debris and oxidation after the surface has been washed.  We noticed that our "new-to-us" OTT had some oxidation buildup and the mitt cut right through it making the gelcoat look like and feel just like new.  We've done our vehicles with the mitt for quite some time and by the end of the drill, the treated surface really looks great and makes subsequent washing/waxing much easier and quicker.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 9:32 AM, Mike and Carol said:

The CGI guys worked almost 12 hours straight yesterday to get our 7 year old trailer looking better than the day we picked it up!

F111A74B-6B5B-4D86-A0FC-9640E96FB704.thumb.jpeg.6530effa6574c8eaeef048def162eca2.jpeg

CE6DBE83-C774-45B5-9CDE-A45D7FB404CF.thumb.jpeg.f374d5d55524e300b5a8e5ac72faef89.jpeg

519DE3F6-AE73-4DEE-A766-C0817191CC31.thumb.jpeg.251f11b259c5764385f7d42d8ec27cc8.jpeg

Oh my, that is impressive. I would be curious to know if you noticed any difference in mileage. Probably too negligible to tell, but has to improve a little. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, GrumpyChoi said:

Oh my, that is impressive. I would be curious to know if you noticed any difference in mileage. Probably too negligible to tell, but has to improve a little. 

Mileage seems about the same, but it sure does feel slick.  I’m sure washing will be easier too.

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
On 5/10/2023 at 10:10 PM, johnwen said:

ours also looked better than the day we picked it up 🙂

No question about that!

Meeting the 4 guys that are the crew for CGI is a real treat - young (relative to me anyway), energetic, personable, and not afraid of real work!  However, if you get a chance, it is also a treat to meet the parents of Gavin - such nice people.  When you do you will realize just why he has the qualities mentioned above.  

Not only does Twist look better than it did the day I took delivery, but at least some of my faith in the future of our country has been restored by these individuals.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Love 2

We like the Ceramic coating on our truck and it does make a difference. I would strongly encourage a price check on having your Ollie done.

An Ollie owner on FB recently had his LE2 completely done in Arizona for $1900.00. This also included all of his windows with a 5 year warranty. 

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Patriot said:

An Ollie owner on FB recently had his LE2 completely done in Arizona for $1900.00. This also included all of his windows with a 5 year warranty. 

I found it interesting that the guys from CGI brought this subject up.  Simply put - they believe that there is no way that the warranty can work in that it will either eventually force that company out of business due to cost of claims or because the "job" will simply not hold up.  They asked me if I knew any if information about it - I don't.  They also wondered if this price included the polishing and prep work and a coating made for fiberglass rather than for regular clearcoat - I didn't know that either.

Having said this - I was aware of this Facebook post prior to writing the check to CGI.  In a rough calculation - not including the cost of the materials used in the process - what I paid calculates to just under $45 per hour of work for each of the 4 guys and this doesn't include something for the company -- i.e. costs for advertising, accounting, washing Twist at the Rally, etc.

Bottom line - I'd need to know a lot more about what I'd get for the $1900.00 before I'd make the trip to AZ.  And, I'm satisfied with the job that CGI did.

Bill

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

And, I'm satisfied with the job that CGI did.

I am i complete agreement Bill!

Kirk

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I found it interesting that the guys from CGI brought this subject up.  Simply put - they believe that there is no way that the warranty can work in that it will either eventually force that company out of business due to cost of claims or because the "job" will simply not hold up.  They asked me if I knew any if information about it - I don't.  They also wondered if this price included the polishing and prep work and a coating made for fiberglass rather than for regular clearcoat - I didn't know that either.

Having said this - I was aware of this Facebook post prior to writing the check to CGI.  In a rough calculation - not including the cost of the materials used in the process - what I paid calculates to just under $45 per hour of work for each of the 4 guys and this doesn't include something for the company -- i.e. costs for advertising, accounting, washing Twist at the Rally, etc.

Bottom line - I'd need to know a lot more about what I'd get for the $1900.00 before I'd make the trip to AZ.  And, I'm satisfied with the job that CGI did.

Bill

Bill,
Yes, I sent you the FB post before you went to have the CC done by CGI. The bottom line… heck it’s only a $1200 difference. If you’re happy that’s all that counts! 😊 

Shine On!!

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 3

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Patriot said:

The bottom line… heck it’s only a $1200 difference.

As you know - I don't spend very much money without taking a look at what I get for that hard earned money.

AS you said above - certainly check the prices for these services.  But, my point is that one should also check what they are getting for the price. 🙂

Bill

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

As you know - I don't spend very much money without taking a look at what I get for that hard earned money.

AS you said above - certainly check the prices for these services.  But, my point is that one should also check what they are getting for the price. 🙂

Bill

Well that’s right! For now we will continue to wash and wax and keep her polished up and in the shade of the Ollie hangar. 👍🏻😊

• Like 3

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderator+

Twelve hundred extra dollars is about what Tali and I spend eating out every month. Big Whoop.

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

2 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Twelve hundred extra dollars is about what Tali and I spend eating out every month. Big Whoop.

You cannot take it with you, that is for sure. 👍🏻

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

It is a big decision. 

We've maintained our Oliver with two coats annually of good quality marine wax, and even though it's a 2008, it looks great. (,(I also wax the interior,  annually. )

It sits outside, 24/7/365. 

It is undoubtedly not as showroom shiny as ceramic coated, but it beads water, and cleans up shiny.

It is, however, a lot of work, to wash and wax, and the ceramic alleviates that work for several years.

Many of us are not so inclined to crawl around (and especially above) the trailer, in our "retired"  years. 

It's kind of a "pick your poison" situation. 

We hired a guy to wax the trailer this spring. He did a good job, used our products,  and, it will be fine. It wasn't terribly expensive.  It also wasn't "clay bar" prep.

C'est la vie. Works for me. 

Ps, any kind of trailer requires work  (wash and wax) to maintain the exterior. Molded fiberglass, with marine gelcoat, like our Ollie, is good for decades, instead of years. Our 40+ year old fiberglass sailboat still looks like it's pretty new. Our 25 year old power boat, ditto.

Take care of your stuff. It takes care of you. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.