The first can I tow question I hate to post it !

efelker

Well, here it is. The first "Can I Tow?" question on the Oliver Forum. Hate to ask it because on most RV forums when you ask a question like this you get flamed by those towing with the 24 cylinder, turbo-diesel, 10 wheeled, Peterbilt Mega Mover.

We are interested in an Oliver and plan to buy a new car shortly. We want comfort, safety, relative fuel efficiency, good tow vehicle (when we need it), good all-around day car, room for 2 grand children at a time. The vehicle will be used for all purposes. We live in an apartment so we are not planning on two vehicles -- one for towing, one for every day.

So here's what we are considering: 2008 Toyota Highlander (non-hybrid) v-6, automatic, with tow prep. The tow capacity is 5000 lb and the tow prep package includes heavy duty radiator, engine oil cooler, 200 watt fan coupling, transmission oil cooler, 150 amp alternator, prewired harness (for 7-pin), and Class III receiver. Rest of the vehicle specs are:

Engine -- V-6, 3.5 liter, 270 HP, 248 Lb Ft torque

Dimensions -- 188 inches long with 109.8 inch wheelbase

What do you think? Handle the Oliver OK?

Ed & Bev

• Moderators

Ed & Bev, my short answer is yes. We tow with a Jeep Wrangler V6 having very similar statistics. The 4 door Jeep gives us room for everything from grand kids to grand dogs ! :lol:

01-03-08_0730.jpg

With a higher horse power and torque than our Jeep, I say that it will do a good job for you. :D

>

By the way that is a very pertinent and timely question !

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

I think it should be perfect. I chatted with a person from Oregon who was going to do exactly that!! He was even going to get other than a fgrv (fiberglass rv), which is larger and heavier than an Oliver. I have 2005 Sienna with the tow package and Jim Oliver indicated that I did not even need to change my class II hitch as I have the capacity: 350/3500 (hitch /towing weights in pounds) and would not need either a wdh (weight distribution hitch) or a sway bar. I also know of another older model Highlander owner that has pulled a fgrv with no problems.

However, I admit to a lack of personal experience at the moment!

;)

I'm glad somebody else started this thread. I am considering buying an oliver

and wonder if i need to buy a new vehicle(additional/exchange).

i would be putting a trailer hitch on 2007 saturn aura 6 cyl 3.5 liter engine.

i did own a pop-up years ago and successfully towed it without problems in

v6 car.

just looking for opinions or someone who has done this with vehicle similiar

to oliver.

thanks

Welcome gerrrym51,

There are quite a number of very knowledgeable people that participate in this forum. The Oliver people also are very informative. I would suggest that you check the manufacturer's specs first and foremost, and go from there. :)

I have been considering doing something even smaller. I am also considering an Oliver and have done the comparison shopping and looking. I have not been able to see an Oliver yet, but just about everything else in its class. I am going to tow with a VW Jetta Wagon with a diesel. I have fabricated a hitch similar to the one sold in Europe for the car and put air assist bags in the rear. I have been "testing" this rig with the neighbors 21 foot boat and trailer. The boat weighs 400 pounds more than the Oliver. I am able to drive at 60 with no problems. The little car pulls the boat up grades without issue at highway speed but no real hills in my area to try.

Mark

• Moderators

Mark, sounds like you have done the homework and are about ready to find an Oliver to look at !

Butcherknife and I went through the aproximate same process, except used our boat to tow to the lake a few times. We couldn't find hardly anyone that was towing with a Jeep Wrangler at the time. We did however find two Jeepers on a couple of other forums, and they were towing the heavier Casita 17's, so we began to feel more and more confident about the lighter Oliver.

The horse power and torque ratings were there so we went for it and havn't looked back yet ! ;)

It seems to me that the higher torque at lower RPM of a diesel engine might be the ticket to smooth merging with the flow of traffic, when entering a busy interstate highway. 8-)

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Ok, perhaps the power to weight ratio isn't optimum, but it made the car happy!

DSC_0049.jpg

For more on this odd-couple, go to:

http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

OK, Pete, if you can pull with the bugeye, we're putting a hitch on the '58 TR3... Wanna race??? I can see it now... 1st Oliver road rally... no tow vehicles from this century allowed, flatland course only... I doubt we can get factory sanction for this kind of rally, though...

(ok, we gotta finish the rebuild on the TR3.... first...) All jokes aside, the car is beautiful ... so is the Oliver... what a great pair!)

Paul & Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Our neighbor's jeep has been a reliable tow vehicle for over 60 years.... Here's how it looks hitched up to our Oliver....

P6220057.jpg

P6220052.jpg

1945 Jeep Willys & 08 Oliver Legacy Elite

No, we didn't even take it around the block... but wouldn't it look nice in the 4th of July parade? Thanks, Jim, it was a lot of fun!

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

:o With your Oliver painted khaki and camo, you'd have the first ever STEALTH Oliver!!

But mountainborn is probably slapping his forehead, saying "Why didn't we think of that, Butcherknife?" !!!!!!!!!!

Chuck n Geri n Midget, Bobbie n Scotty in the 'Dog House'!