New Truma Eco A/C retrofit

theOrca

When I read the email announcement about the upgrade I thought: "FINALLY!"

I have found it very hard to get restful sleep with the Penguin A/C roaring in my trailer. The Truma Aventa Eco sounds like the solution...

OK, the price is <!!!> but heck, some of the things we do with our trailers is financially nuts anyway. (My heating system upgrade probably cost me a thousand bucks in parts and tools, not even counting the hours of labor.)

I have called Truma, and they confirm that the CP Plus control panel "will/can" control either heat + hot water, or A/C + hot water. They promise to update their website to show that capability. We will still get a remote, but with the CP Plus panel the remote can go into a drawer with all the other ones I don't use.

Before I jump on this and schedule a 5,000 mile trip to Hohenwald, does anyone see a downside that I may have missed?

Thanks, Bill

• Like 3

theOrca,  2020 Legacy Elite II, Twin, Hull 615

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

3 minutes ago, theOrca said:

When I read the email announcement about the upgrade I thought: "FINALLY!"

I have found it very hard to get restful sleep with the Penguin A/C roaring in my trailer. The Truma Aventa Eco sounds like the solution...

OK, the price is <!!!> but heck, some of the things we do with our trailers is financially nuts anyway. (My heating system upgrade probably cost me a thousand bucks in parts and tools, not even counting the hours of labor.)

I have called Truma, and they confirm that the CP Plus control panel "will/can" control either heat + hot water, or A/C + hot water. They promise to update their website to show that capability. We will still get a remote, but with the CP Plus panel the remote can go into a drawer with all the other ones I don't use.

Before I jump on this and schedule a 5,000 mile trip to Hohenwald, does anyone see a downside that I may have missed?

Thanks, Bill

Hey bill I would be interested in what other mods you did to your heating system I plan to run a new return and possibly supply lines after the holidays. I to am considering the Truma AC.

Merry Christmas

Bill

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

A slightly less cost approach.......

2021 Elite 2....just completed replacement of my Dometic jet engine with the Truma Aventa Eco.

It was installed by the Lakeland Florida Truma service center.

So far, it seems to work as advertised...no opinion yet using the remote...seems simple.  Hot weather performance test pending!!!

For the heater....the Truma installer recommended we keep/use the Dometic AC control box and thermostat vs a mechanical or Emerson digital thermostat.

I used the propane heater while camping this last week. Using the Dometic thermostat was no issue.

Cost = $2,705 walk out price....includes Aventa ECO, Aventa Air Distributor, Condensate drain kit and installation labor. (included tax was 7%)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, theOrca said:

I too would like to hear some opinions from anyone who has had the replacement done by Truma. Looking at the Oliver website photos of a 2023 LEII with the Aventa, the unit appears to be noticeably higher than the Penguin II.  Maybe just an illusion but it would be nice to know if the height of the LEII has increased.

There is an article in the latest TruckCamper magazine about the 2023 Lance campers and how they are going all in with a 100% Truma solution. Near the end, when they talk about the Aventa, they specifically address the power requirements vis a vis generator size. Lance is quoted as to how the A/C operates fine with the 2500 watt onboard generator but  that they had to implement an EasyStart for it to be reliable using the 2200 watt Honda portable. Interesting concluding. comment was how they "are working with Truma" for a resolution.

Since Lance is one of Truma's largest OEM partnerships, I interpret this to mean that Truma knows there is a shortcoming with the Aventa and will most likely have to either approve EasyStart installations or offer one of some flavor as their own option.

I'd be looking for more info on the subject from Truma, and/or Oliver, before I jumped in. I won't be though. because my Houghton 3400 is working fab.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SteveCr said:

A slightly less cost approach.......

2021 Elite 2....just completed replacement of my Dometic jet engine with the Truma Aventa Eco.

It was installed by the Lakeland Florida Truma service center.

So far, it seems to work as advertised...no opinion yet using the remote...seems simple.  Hot weather performance test pending!!!

For the heater....the Truma installer recommended we keep/use the Dometic AC control box and thermostat vs a mechanical or Emerson digital thermostat.

I used the propane heater while camping this last week. Using the Dometic thermostat was no issue.

Cost = $2,705 walk out price....includes Aventa ECO, Aventa Air Distributor, Condensate drain kit and installation labor. (included tax was 7%)

Slightly less? That is like OMG less. Thanks for the info Steve.

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

4 minutes ago, theOrca said:

Slightly less? That is like OMG less. Thanks for the info Steve.

We are so screwed on the West Coast. Truma has only two service centers, Lakeland Florida and Elkhart, IN.

Bah, humbug!!

We just scheduled with Mike Sharpe at Oliver Service for a May 8th install of the Truma Aventa Eco. May 8th was the next available opening in Service to have the install done. We already have reservations for the 2023 Oliver Rally at LGSP so we took the early May date for install.
Mike said they will need our Ollie for 2-3 days to complete the install. He also said the Truma Aventa Eco also uses the existing internal condensate drain line incase anyone was wondering. We are really looking forward to a clean fit and factory finish. Oliver Service has always truly exceeded our expectations for any work performed in the past. 

If you’re interested you may want to give Mike at Oliver Service a call and get an install quote and hopefully get on the service install calendar.

Patriot 🇺🇸

https://www.truma.net/air-conditioning-systems/truma-aventa-eco

• Like 8

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

12 hours ago, katanapilot said:

Or $1500 for the RecPro/Houghton 13.5k heat pump and maybe 4 hours labor? Cheaper yet and you can use the heat function versus propane if you have 120 volt power. 

From what I understand from your sound tests, the RecPro/Houghton seems to be at least as quiet as the Truma Aventa Eco.

Got Earplugs?

In addition to the much lower price and heat pump function, it will run off of a typical 2000W generator (i.e. Honda EU2200i) or inverter.   I have read that the Truma Aventa Eco requires a 3000W generator or inverter to operate, but not 100% sure about that.  There are pros and cons to either option, no perfect solution.

• Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

We are picking up a 2023 in FEB of this next year with the Truma option.  Whether or not the much lighter and cheaper sub 2500W gensets will work with the "upgraded" AC has been a question for at least 6 months.   Knowing they are now delivering Truma equipped units, I asked our Sales rep specifically about powering the AC off of a Honda 2200 and if anyone at Oliver had actually tested it, or any of the many other sub 2500W  inverter Gensets readily available.  The answer was "No we have not tested it, but we think it probably would work."   He also noted that Truma recommends a 3000W generator as we've all read.   I'm hoping someone actually hooks one up and verifies whether or not it can start it. Barring that, my plan (when I get back to AZ and warmer weather) will be to put my Fluke ammeter to good use and see what the peak inrush looks like on Shore Power. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mike & Marianne Hermann, Scottsdale AZ

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #1337

10 minutes ago, Hokieman said:

From what I understand from your sound tests, the RecPro/Houghton seems to be at least as quiet as the Truma Aventa Eco.

Yes.  RecPro lists the 13.5KBTU unit as 47db on the low setting.  Our Truma Aventa produces 48db on the "low" and "night" settings. 

12 minutes ago, Hokieman said:

I have read that the Truma Aventa Eco requires a 3000W generator or inverter to operate, but not 100% sure about that.

Per Truma and Oliver's specs, a 3kw generator is required to run the Truma Aventa.   But, as MnM notes above, whether a genset somewhat less powerful than 30000W will work is, as yet, unknown.   Truma will not allow the installation of a MicroAir Easy Start unit, which is required to run an AC unit with only a 2kw generator.

One of the tradeoffs for us when we committed to the Truma Aventa install upgrade was the purchase of a second Champion 2kw dual fuel inverter/generator, a Paralink kit and an ACME splitter for the extra propane tank, so the two combined units produce 4Kw starting power, with 3100 running watts on propane.

So yes, there are tradeoffs. 

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Benefits of the Truma include proven German engineering quality and reliability, and if purchased as the new option, an integrated systems approach with water heater and furnace.   I would guess most if not all of the additional cost would be recouped if and when trailer is sold.   

41 minutes ago, Hokieman said:

Benefits of the Truma include proven German engineering quality and reliability, and if purchased as the new option, an integrated systems approach with water heater and furnace.

Although it was hard to swallow the $3800 Truma upgrade cost (versus the $1500 cost of a RecPro, since we believed we would be o.k. with the Suburban water heater and furnace), we are now glad we have the Truma Varioheat furnace, the Truma Aquago water heater and the CP Plus wall control.  The benefits of the Varioheat furnace, which we did not know were part of the package until we took delivery, include more robust ducting and a return air vent in the bathroom. 

Since we had to drive home to Idaho in sub-freezing temps, we were also glad we had the Truma antifreeze kit as part of that package. 

In hindsight, we feel we made the right choice for us, and received good value for the upgrade cost.

• Like 5

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

17 minutes ago, Hokieman said:

Significant Pros of the Truma include proven German engineering quality and reliability, and if purchased as the new option, an integrated systems approach with water heater and furnace.   I would guess most if not all of the additional cost would be recouped if and when trailer is sold.   

On the other hand:

"German engineering quality"  and  "German reliability" are questionable. Over engineering and high build quality don't ensure reliability. I've owned a few.....

Common control integration, is aka potential single point of failure.

Truma protectionist service and parts distribution ensures extended down times and higher repair costs,  when the time comes.

No Aventa heating capability is potential deal breaker to complete showstopper.

What's going on with this no soft starter policy? Don't they understand their target market?

Recouping higher initial costs depends on the lifecycle of the equipment and the purchaser's perceived value.  These could turn into negatives.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just offering a different perspective (opinion). All things considered, for some  RVers, the Truma solutions may be a better choice when compared to the alternatives.  Their appliance performance may be notable,  but be aware of the negatives.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

Although it was hard to swallow the $3800 Truma upgrade cost (versus the $1500 cost of a RecPro, since we believed we would be o.k. with the Suburban water heater and furnace), we are now glad we have the Truma Varioheat furnace, the Truma Aquago water heater and the CP Plus wall control.  The benefits of the Varioheat furnace, which we did not know were part of the package until we took delivery, include more robust ducting and a return air vent in the bathroom. 

Since we had to drive home to Idaho in sub-freezing temps, we were also glad we had the Truma antifreeze kit as part of that package. 

In hindsight, we feel we made the right choice for us, and received good value for the upgrade cost.

Do I read that correctly? Do you have a Truma furnace as well as AC and hot water.

I don't see that offered on any part of Olivers web site. How did you find out about it??

Thanks,Bill

3 hours ago, bhncb said:

"German engineering quality"  and  "German reliability" are questionable.

You make some valid points.  I was being optimistic, not referring to all German equipment, just this machine.   I don’t know anything about it other than what I read in this forum.  Previous comments from knowledgeable folks mentioned  that  the Aventa Eco has been proven to be reliable for several years in EU and Australia.

5 hours ago, theOrca said:

Do I read that correctly? Do you have a Truma furnace as well as AC and hot water.

I don't see that offered on any part of Olivers web site. How did you find out about it??

Thanks,Bill

The Truma Varioheat Furnace is the Standard furnace on the 2023 models.   Look in the 2023 Owners Manuals standard components section to learn all the details. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Mike & Marianne Hermann, Scottsdale AZ

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #1337

7 hours ago, theOrca said:

Do you have a Truma furnace as well as AC and hot water.

Yes, in addition to the Truma Aventa AC, we have the Truma Varioheat furnace and the Truma Aquago water heater.  They comprise the Truma upgrade package now offered by Oliver on 2023 models.  Since the Truma Varioheat furnace is now standard on all Olivers, the "upgrade" part, for which a premium is charged, includes the Aventa AC and Aquago water heater components.

We learned about the potential for the Truma AC upgrade from posts on this forum many months ago, so we asked our Oliver salesperson about it.  We were advised that the AC upgrade came as part of a package, which required the Truma Aquago water heater as well.  When we received our updated Deposit Receipt from Oliver which included the additional premium for the Truma upgrade, we learned that the $3800 upgrade also included the Truma Varioheat furnace.  When we took delivery of the trailer, we saw that the packaging of those three Truma upgrades made sense: they are all centrally controlled by the Truma CP Plus wall control.

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

On 12/19/2022 at 4:41 PM, katanapilot said:

Or $1500 for the RecPro/Houghton 13.5k heat pump and maybe 4 hours labor? Cheaper yet and you can use the heat function versus propane if you have 120 volt power. 

I am editing this post to include two notes associated with the less expensive Houghton:

Please be aware that this less expensive Houghton:

• Is significantly higher (13 11/16" vs 9") than the low profile one ($1500).
  • Is also significantly lighter at 73 pounds than the low profile unit at pounds.

As a result I changed my order to the Low Profile unit.

GJ

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On Black Friday, and maybe still, for $917 we got one without heat (Us Hawaiian Residents are allergic to snow and cold) we got our Houghton, two remotes, tax, and shipping.

Granted we will need to install.  Looks like it requires a new T-stat, butyl tape, caulk and hopefully only four hours.  And if it turns out as good as Katanapilot's did, we will be super happy!  

From talking, reading, and videos, the install is really straight forward with two exceptions:

• Lifting the units down and up.  For that we have a stout oak tree with plenty of clearance, rope, pulley and cargo net.
  • Understanding the heater re-connect as posted.  (Tough being 4000 miles from our Ollie and planning projects.)

GJ

image.png.c8e082cd15e097219919a6fea2106350.png

Edited by Geronimo John
Added cautions concerning the less costly Houghton that purchasers should take note of.
  • Like 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 12/20/2022 at 5:59 AM, Rivernerd said:

One of the tradeoffs for us when we committed to the Truma Aventa install upgrade was the purchase of a second Champion 2kw dual fuel inverter/generator, a Paralink kit and an ACME splitter for the extra propane tank, so the two combined units produce 4Kw starting power, with 3100 running watts on propane.

The champion generators I am familiar with are hammer mills.  WOW!  They they DO have quiet inverter units out now?   !!!!   If not, you'll be trading inside noise to outside noise .....and will not have to worry about bears, but will have angry neighbors.  

Edited by Geronimo John
Edited per Rivernerd above, and CnC in "Generator Reviews" thread.

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

9 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

I agree.  I didn't know about the Truma Varioheat furnace until almost delivery date.  It's a great furnace that worked well in sub freezing temperatures.  We both got lucky with the Truma package being available for the last few trailers in the 2022 production run.  I believe it was money well spent.

John

• Like 4

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

17 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Yes.  RecPro lists the 13.5KBTU unit as 47db on the low setting.  Our Truma Aventa produces 48db on the "low" and "night" settings. 

Per Truma and Oliver's specs, a 3kw generator is required to run the Truma Aventa.   But, as MnM notes above, whether a genset somewhat less powerful than 30000W will work is, as yet, unknown.   Truma will not allow the installation of a MicroAir Easy Start unit, which is required to run an AC unit with only a 2kw generator.

So yes, there are tradeoffs. 

Rivernerd,
This past summer I installed the Hutch Mountain trifuel conversion kit - LP, LNG, gasoline.https://www.hutchmountain.com The Honda eu3000is runs whisper quiet off LP. We ran our gen in our initial shake down after the LP conversion and were pleased with how quiet it runs even while sitting in the gen basket.
You are right about tradeoffs. The trade off with the Honda is it’s a bit heavy. The upside is no gasoline storage to be concerned with. Due to its size and weight it’s not so portable that a thief can just pick it up and walk away with it. Lifting it in and out of the gen tray takes two people with strong backs. We look forward to seeing how well the Honda runs the Aventa post install in May. I think it will be plenty of clean inverter gen power and run our Ollie fine.

FDDF8F4F-CA00-4853-9B44-EFE5544FCE8B.thumb.jpeg.5c7116cec74a0162b01fb1f2b9821386.jpeg

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

The champion generators I am familiar with are hammer mills.  Do they have quiet inverter units out now?  If not, you'll be trading inside noise to outside noise .....and will not have to worry about bears, but will have angry neighbors.  

Champion inverter generators are pretty quiet.  I’ve had two.  Quiet on propane or gas.

• Like 6

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

11 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

The champion generators I am familiar with are hammer mills.  Do they have quiet inverter units out now?  

Mine are rated at 53db from 23 feet.  I confirmed this with a basic db meter on my phone. The db level reads the same when running both as when running only one.  I can live with that level for the couple of hours it takes to recharge batteries.  Although hauling two inverter/generators takes more space in the bed of our Tundra, it is also easier for this old guy to lift and carry just one at a time.

As a comparison, the new Honda eu3200i is rated at "54 to 58 db(A)". 

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

5 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:
15 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

The champion generators I am familiar with are hammer mills.  Do they have quiet inverter units out now?  If not, you'll be trading inside noise to outside noise .....and will not have to worry about bears, but will have angry neighbors.  

Champion inverter generators are pretty quiet.  I’ve had two.  Quiet on propane or gas.

Rivernerd/Mike& Carrol:

That's great news.  I had not heard their inverter line.   Guess that's the point!   This RoF (Retired Ole Fart) needs to get up to date!  Glad to hear, or in this case, not hear their hammer mill non-inverter line.  BTW, the Predator inverter line works quite well also.  At about half the price of a Honda.  Last I heard, the Yamaha one had issues for our AC's.  

• Like 1