January travel - really

We have made reservations at the Palmetto State Park (Texas) for a few days in early January and then travel towards the Big Bend area. Thinking of camping at Fort Davis for 5-6 days and make daily trips to Alpine, Marfa , Balmorhea and ….. ??  On the way back we would like to visit Fredericksburg perhaps. Since this will be our first trip in the area can anyone who has been there recommend anything else we can do or see ?

Thanks in advance 

Nick

• Moderators

Check the weather, it could be nice or it could be really cold west of San Antonio!  We’ve been to Fort Davis in January and the weather was 50s day and 20s night.  We’ve also had reservations there and the weather was 30s and teens, so we just came home!  Are you camping at Davis Mountain State Park?  It’s nice, just outside of Fort Davis.  Go see the old Fort, it’s a National Park monument and interesting to walk around.  In Fort Davis there are some small shops and the old drug store is a must-see.  Nearby is McDonald Observatory.  They have Star Party’s several nights a week, reservations required and very interesting.

Going south from Fort Davis, Marfa and Alpine are interesting.  Once you get down to BIg Bend, there’s much to do and see.  If you hike there are some great hikes.  The State Park is right to the west and is also interesting.

If you go to Fredericksburg I hope you like wine.  There are now about 15 or 16 very nice wineries on US290.  Just north of Fredericksburg is Enchanted Rock State Natural Area.  Luckenbach is just south of Fredericksburg. Also, the LBJ Ranch is just east on US290.  I’m not an LBJ fan but the visit there was very interesting and well worth the time.  Hope this helps.  Mike

• Like 6

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

Go see the old Fort, it’s a National Park monument and interesting to walk around.  In Fort Davis there are some small shops and the old drug store is a must-see.  Nearby is McDonald Observatory.

👍👍👍👍👍

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Mike and all, thanks a lot for your advice and comments. I think I will get a Clam tent for Xmas, if so, I will take it with us on our trip and I think we will enjoy it. I was planning one or two nights in Fredericksburg but basis on your advice we may extend our stay to three days to visit ( mainly wineries for me ) before we return home in E Texas.

Thanks again

Nick

• Moderators

We use our Clam a lot in the winter along with our propane fire pit.  Keeps it toasty warm inside no matter the outside temperature.  There are plenty of wineries in Fredericksburg, we’re club members at Becker Vineyards and go there often.  You can spend a few days just visiting wineries!  Mike

• Like 2

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Cannot confirm yet if we will have a Clam tent for Xmas (it is a well kept secret 🤐). 
 I already bought a gas fire pit/ heater. We will make sure to visit the Becker vineyards, if you recommend it should be good. We were in Greece for 3 months this past summer , visited numerous wineries and really enjoyed doing this. I don’t think you will  meet nicer folks.  Nick

• Like 4

We love Davis Mountains State Park. We're usually there around Labor Day to get a break from the San Antonio summer heat. It's a great birding spot and has a fair amount of trails. If hiking is not your thing or the weather is bad, we also love the old fort, and Alpine has the Museum of the Big Bend at Sul Ross State University and the Reata restaurant. We've been to Big Bend twice, but going there is a commitment. Driving to the Big Bend National Park visitor center from Fort Davis is almost three hours each way.

For Fredericksburg, we enthusiastically support the above suggestions: Enchanted Rock, the war museum, LBJ Ranch, and the wineries.

John and Jodi

San Antonio, TX

2022 Elite II - Hull #1126 being pulled by a 2022 F-150 Powerboost.

Map Legend: Red - Driven Through; Orange - Stopped In; Blue - Explored Parts; Green - Explored Whole

States 20230917.png

Would highly recommend you take time to visit Lost Maples and Garner State Parks as both are excellent parks.

2020 F250 Lariat Supercrew 6.7 Diesel 4x4

2020 Oliver Legacy Elite I  *   Hull #664 (April 2, 2022 Incident)

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II * Hull #293 (Purchased Used April 16, 2022)

Located SE Texas Region

ABBCYTAKAZARCACOIDLAMSMTNVNMORSDTNTXUTWA

We have done all of the areas that you mentioned and as many hove said, a lot to see and do, don't forget the observatory out of Ft. Davis, a very interesting place to visit and much more then you will expect.  https://mcdonaldobservatory.org/visitors  PS, the Ft. Davis State Park does have some sites with cable, try to get one of those as TV reception is not much, if any. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Thanks Trainman for your comments, for sure we are planning to visit the McDonald Observatory. It is going to be one interesting trip for sure, originally planned 2 weeks and now we are extending to 3+ weeks. Ohh by the ay I did get the Clam tent for 🤶.

Cable for me is not a priority, last year I decided to go with Starlink for our home use as the local telephone company is 200 years behind reality ( 5 Mbps up and 1 down) with a cost of $90.00 per month, so Starlink was a no brainer and plan to take it along to West Texas and see how it works out for me.

Merry Christmas to all

Nick

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Nick and Linda Stratigakis said:

for sure we are planning to visit the McDonald Observatory.

Check the McDonald Obs website for dates/hours.  Reservations are required for Star Party’s.  If you are a week or more in advance getting reservations is no problem.