Generator Reviews

I thought some of you might like reading this.

Here are some of the top generator brands made in the USA. 

1. Generac 
  2. Craftsman 
  3. Kohler 
  4. Briggs and Stratton 
  5. Cummins 

https://thesavvycampers.com/where-are-champion-generators-made/

While the generator brands mentioned below do not have their headquarters in China, many of them still produce at least a few components overseas.

1. Kohler – Kohler is a very reliable generator brand with its headquarters in Wisconsin, U.S.A. The brand has manufacturing facilities in Wisconsin and other states to account for high demand.
  1. Generac – Generac generators are proudly made in the United States, more specifically Wisconsin at their many manufacturing facilities. 
  1. Onan – Elkhart, Indiana, is the epicenter of production for Onan generators, but in 2010, Onan outsourced the production of engines and other parts to China. Like so many other brands, the sticker will say made in the United States, but certain parts likely get produced in China. 
  1. Honda – Honda is one of the best generator brands you can purchase, and they are made entirely in Japan. Japan has a reputation for producing reliable and excellent small engine products, and their generators are no exception. 
  1. Champion – Champion generators are made and designed in America, but their engines get produced in China. Like many other brands, Champion will say that they undergo production in America, but this isn’t completely true. 
  1. Pulsar – Pulsar generators are great products and get produced in Ontario, Canada. Pulsar generators are comparable to some of the top brands in the U.S. and Japan and have a much-deserved reputation of excellence. Their base of operations isn’t in the United States, but they’re still American-made. 
  1. Westinghouse – Westinghouse is one of the oldest manufacturers of electronics and generators in the world. They are based in the heart of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and produce thousands of products, including generators. 
  1. Craftsman – Craftsman generators, like the parent company Generac, is an American-based brand that produces excellent generators. Craftsman is a more affordable version of Generac, the leading manufacturer of generators in the world. 
  1. Predator – Predator generators are an American product that gets produced by the American tool manufacturing company Harbor Freight Tools. While they have a reputation for producing cheap but decent tools and products, generators are no exception. They come at a lower price and will have a quality and lifespan that reflects that price. 

https://pickgenerators.com/generators-made-in-china/

• Like 4

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

31 minutes ago, HDRider said:

I thought some of you might like reading this.

Here are some of the top generator brands made in the USA. 

1. Generac 
  2. Craftsman 
  3. Kohler 
  4. Briggs and Stratton 
  5. Cummins 

https://thesavvycampers.com/where-are-champion-generators-made/

While the generator brands mentioned below do not have their headquarters in China, many of them still produce at least a few components overseas.

1. Kohler – Kohler is a very reliable generator brand with its headquarters in Wisconsin, U.S.A. The brand has manufacturing facilities in Wisconsin and other states to account for high demand.
  1. Generac – Generac generators are proudly made in the United States, more specifically Wisconsin at their many manufacturing facilities. 
  1. Onan – Elkhart, Indiana, is the epicenter of production for Onan generators, but in 2010, Onan outsourced the production of engines and other parts to China. Like so many other brands, the sticker will say made in the United States, but certain parts likely get produced in China. 
  1. Honda – Honda is one of the best generator brands you can purchase, and they are made entirely in Japan. Japan has a reputation for producing reliable and excellent small engine products, and their generators are no exception. 
  1. Champion – Champion generators are made and designed in America, but their engines get produced in China. Like many other brands, Champion will say that they undergo production in America, but this isn’t completely true. 
  1. Pulsar – Pulsar generators are great products and get produced in Ontario, Canada. Pulsar generators are comparable to some of the top brands in the U.S. and Japan and have a much-deserved reputation of excellence. Their base of operations isn’t in the United States, but they’re still American-made. 
  1. Westinghouse – Westinghouse is one of the oldest manufacturers of electronics and generators in the world. They are based in the heart of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and produce thousands of products, including generators. 
  1. Craftsman – Craftsman generators, like the parent company Generac, is an American-based brand that produces excellent generators. Craftsman is a more affordable version of Generac, the leading manufacturer of generators in the world. 
  1. Predator – Predator generators are an American product that gets produced by the American tool manufacturing company Harbor Freight Tools. While they have a reputation for producing cheap but decent tools and products, generators are no exception. They come at a lower price and will have a quality and lifespan that reflects that price. 

https://pickgenerators.com/generators-made-in-china/

Thanks for the info.   But some of that is either misleading or wrong.  Harbor Freight is an American company but the Predator generators are built in China and imported, like almost all HF products.   Companies will use wording like “designed in USA” (Apple does this a lot) to give a more positive impression.  

image.thumb.jpeg.5e29dc25d7dcaefb1da90fef494c7daa.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, Frank C said:

Thanks for the info.   But some of that is either misleading or wrong.  Harbor Freight is an American company but the Predator generators are built in China and imported, like almost all HF products.   Companies will use wording like “designed in USA” (Apple does this a lot) to give a more positive impression.  

image.thumb.jpeg.5e29dc25d7dcaefb1da90fef494c7daa.jpeg

Thanks for setting the record straight.  I really questioned the accuracy myself.  That is why I posted two articles. 

Buying real US products is important to me.  I try very hard to avoid products made in China, or products made by Chinese companies if I can.

• Like 4

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

It's getting harder every day deciphering what is domestic, as almost nothing is completely. Fortunately there are web sites for organizations that specifically research products and companies to get the information we seek. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

• 4 weeks later...

This is one that I puchased a couple of years ago. Works great. I think that it's a bit louder than advertised and it's not a lightweight!  I use it with propane fuel.

I am going to build a collapsible box with sound deadening material to fit around it for use on the road.

I bought it on sale at Costco for $599.00

Dual Fuel Inverter Portable Generator 4000W Electric Start with CO ALE – FIRMAN Power Equipment

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Just spend the extra $$$ on more Ah in LiFePO4.
Lots of Ah storage, adequate solar, perhaps a DC-to-DC charger, depends on your lifestyle. I'm a combustion engine guy, more than most, but solar & LiFePO4 have obsoleted the generator for RVing (or TTing)!

Edited by topgun2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

I have a Cummins 4500i and it runs like a scalded dog.  Proudly made in America, it looks good sitting on the tailgate of my Ram 2500 which, by the way, is also powered by the 4500i's big brother.

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

On 3/19/2024 at 10:35 PM, Jason Foster said:

I have a Cummins 4500i and it runs like a scalded dog.  Proudly made in America, it looks good sitting on the tailgate of my Ram 2500 which, by the way, is also powered by the 4500i's big brother.

Looks exactly like my Westinghouse 4500i, other than the dual-fuel feature on my model. Long run time and enough to power the Oliver 24/7 during hurricane evacuations or any other necessary stays of duration. I also carry a smaller DF for overnighting with A/C.

IMG_6754.thumb.png.8255189cf8eab06ca42e04a6c4c258fc.png

IMG_3086.thumb.png.bd456deaa539d231e3283496c35fa337.png

Edited by Ronbrink

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

12 hours ago, Tim and Christie said:

Patriot, have you located a magnetic oil cap for the Honda 3200 yet? I can't find one. 

Tim,

I have not. If I locate one, I will post up!

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 12/26/2022 at 4:20 PM, Patriot said:

Update -
Just spoke with Derek at HM he said they are still working on an LP conversion kit for the 3200i. Maybe 6 months out?
I am on the order list when they have the product ready to go.

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

13 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

Looks exactly like my Westinghouse 4500i, other than the dual-fuel feature on my model. Long run time and enough to power the Oliver 24/7 during hurricane evacuations or any other necessary stays of duration. I also carry a smaller DF for overnighting with AC.

IMG_6754.thumb.png.8255189cf8eab06ca42e04a6c4c258fc.png

IMG_3086.thumb.png.bd456deaa539d231e3283496c35fa337.png

Do you find the DuroMax sufficient for everything or just to get through the night?

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

12 hours ago, Patriot said:

Update -
Just spoke with Derek at HM he said they are still working on an LP conversion kit for the 3200i. Maybe 6 months out?
I am on the order list when they have the product ready to go.

I also have been waiting,  You think  Honda would making  a dual fuel generator.

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull # 867,    Shiloh, IL

2022 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0L Diesel, CarbonPro

IMG_0398.jpeg

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Allen Lee Rohner said:

I also have been waiting,  You think  Honda would making  a dual fuel generator.

They don't have to. So, why should they?

I'd say, 2026 or better, before that happens,  if ever.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

They don't have to. So, why should they?

I'd say, 2026 or better, before that happens,  if ever.

Supply and demand,  Honda supplies us with what they want and demand we buy it.  Since they are "Honda" people will buy it, just like other big big manufactures like Apple.  BTW, I own both Honda and Apple products, and sometime get frustrated with them both. But the quality is there.

• Like 1

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

9 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

Do you find the DuroMax sufficient for everything or just to get through the night?

Prior to upgrading to LFPs and installing a dedicated transfer switch to enable operation of the A/C via the new battery bank, the DuroMax was primarily used for A/C (with Micro-Air Easy Start) during lunch/rest stops and off-grid overnight stays when traveling. Now it is mostly used for A/C, as needed; fueled by a dedicated 30# propane tank carried under cap in the TV. However, as with most small generators the A/C is temporarily turned off to use the microwave, otherwise it is a sufficient power source for all else, including charging the batteries. To date I have not changed the Xantrex’s setting 28 to lower charging amps as many suggest, but may give it a try to see if there is any difference. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

On 3/19/2024 at 5:10 PM, jd1923 said:

I'm a combustion engine guy, more than most, but solar & LiFePO4 have obsoleted the generator for RVing (or TTing)!

I can agree that litho's and solar have SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the need for generators for the vast majority of OTT owners.  But for true boondockers, especially winter boondocking camping, not so.

GJ

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

But for true boondockers, especially winter boondocking camping, not so.

And - 

for those that live in hot/humid climates (i.e. Florida, Georgia, etc.) during as much as 3/4 of the year.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"