Another Cold Weather Prep Question

RustyMD

If you are using the Varioheat at 68 degrees and the Truma on Eco to handle 15 degrees tonight, do you open the basement door to warm stuff around there, like maybe the outside shower pipes?

Robert Youens, LEII, Hull #1304

Robert Youens

2023 LEII Hull #1304

TV 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi e-torque with tow package

So the answer is…five straight days of morning freezing temperatures, mostly mid 20’s but one of 12. One 36 hour period never above freezing. I had the Varioheat furnace at 68 and the Truma water heater on Eco. I did not open the basement door. All seems well after the fact. The outside shower is functioning normally. I used two and one half 20 pound bottles of propane. I left the Truma water heater and Varioheat on continuously.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Robert Youens

2023 LEII Hull #1304

2 hours ago, RustyMD said:

So the answer is…five straight days of morning freezing temperatures, mostly mid 20’s but one of 12. One 36 hour period never above freezing. I had the Varioheat furnace at 68 and the Truma water heater on Eco. I did not open the basement door. All seems well after the fact. The outside shower is functioning normally. I used two and one half 20 pound bottles of propane. I left the Truma water heater and Varioheat on continuously.

Thanks for a the report. Have you considered 30# LP tanks for winter camping?

Patriot 🇺🇸

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

I don't think that, from the posts  

if someone routinely camps in cold temps, it would be a consideration. 

For those like me, who occasionally get caught in cold temps, I'd say no. 

30 pound bottles are really heavy to transfaer, and we've found zero places that will fill in situ. 

I'll stick with my 20 lb, manageable bottles,  and carry a spare or two in the truck bed, in cold temps.

Everyone has a different camping style.  We like sleeping cold, in the 50s. If the forecast is for below freezing for days,  we winterize.  A bag in a bucket works fine. Luggable loo. Overnight freezing, if days are above, not a big deal. 

We all figure it out, for  our own style.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

33 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I don't think that, from the posts  

if someone routinely camps in cold temps, it would be a consideration. 

For those like me, who occasionally get caught in cold temps, I'd say no. 

30 pound bottles are really heavy to transfaer, and we've found zero places that will fill in situ. 

I'll stick with my 20 lb, manageable bottles,  and carry a spare or two in the truck bed, in cold temps.

Everyone has a different camping style.  We like sleeping cold, in the 50s. If the forecast is for below freezing for days,  we winterize.  A bag in a bucket works fine. Luggable loo. Overnight freezing, if days are above, not a big deal. 

We all figure it out, for  our own style.

We chose 20# propane containers for the very reasons you wrote.  Hauling those 30# ones back into the trailer would be very hard to do.

John

• Like 4

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

I just got one 30# and one 20# filled today for our Arizona trip in January.  We leave tomorrow or Friday.  As I was lifting the 30# tank back into the trailer I thought to myself that it won’t be long that I’ll be replacing those big tanks with the 20#.  I always carry one or two smaller tanks anyway for fire pit/grill/griddle when I’m not using the trailer quick connect.  Mike

• Like 6

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thought about the 30# tanks but 20# tanks just too convenient. Two tanks on the Ollie and two in dairy crates in the bed of the truck. Can get them refilled or exchanged.

• Like 5

Robert Youens

2023 LEII Hull #1304

1 hour ago, RustyMD said:

Thought about the 30# tanks but 20# tanks just too convenient. Two tanks on the Ollie and two in dairy crates in the bed of the truck. Can get them refilled or exchanged.

Those exhange tanks found at box stores typically have about 15 pounds of propane.

• Wow 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Those exhange tanks found at box stores typically have about 15 pounds of propane.

Of course - the assumption is that one "normally" exchanges the empty tank for a full one versus simply getting the empty one refilled at a propane supply dealer or U-haul or Tractor Supply.    Indeed, most of the "box" stores, gas stations, WalMart, grocery stores, etc. that do the exchange only have about 15 pounds of propane in them.  However, there are places where one simply can't find a place that does a refill - such as anywhere near the Vail Valley area in Colorado.  In these areas you have to either wait until you move on or bite the bullet and do the exchange.

There is at least one other reason to go the exchange route - occasionally.  If the tank you have has an expired date stamped on it (or is very close to expiration) and you don't have a dealer nearby that will re-certify that tank at a reasonable price (like free) then it just might be cheaper to exchange the old tank for one that has a current date stamp on it.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

There is at least one other reason to go the exchange route - occasionally.  If the tank you have has an expired date stamped on it (or is very close to expiration) and you don't have a dealer nearby that will re-certify that tank at a reasonable price (like free) then it just might be cheaper to exchange the old tank for one that has a current date stamp on it.

Yup. That's how we get rid of expired old tanks. We also search through the cage, for more current dates, which sometimes doesn't make the attendant super happy, but they're usually patient.

Tractor supply and others will refill a blue rhino, with a good date.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Tractor supply and others will refill a blue rhino, with a good date.

Yep - 

A good steel tank is a good steel tank.

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

15 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Of course - the assumption is that one "normally" exchanges the empty tank for a full one versus simply getting the empty one refilled at a propane supply dealer or U-haul or Tractor Supply.    Indeed, most of the "box" stores, gas stations, WalMart, grocery stores, etc. that do the exchange only have about 15 pounds of propane in them.  However, there are places where one simply can't find a place that does a refill - such as anywhere near the Vail Valley area in Colorado.  In these areas you have to either wait until you move on or bite the bullet and do the exchange.

Bill

Tank you Bill, actually Tanks a lot! 😂

• Haha 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg