A Brewing Question

SeaDawg

• Moderators

We often don't have electric available, and I'm not a huge fan of our old standby percolator coffee, so I bought a little inexpensive French Press coffee maker at IKEA. However, the process is cumbersome... heat the water on the stovetop in the teakettle, pour over the coffee grounds, let it bloom, stir, press, wait awhile... for coffee that's not all that great, and cools down too rapidly in the glass carafe.

I went back to a couple of one-cup Mellitta pourovers that a friend had given me years ago. Kind of like a little funnel that holds a tiny cone filter & coffee right over the cup, pour hot water over and let it drip down... The coffee is better, but I'm not a one-cup person.... Meaning the process has to be repeated several times....

I'm shopping again. I saw Pete uses a 12-volt Cuisinart coffee maker. I'm kind of intrigued.. but does it draw down a lot on battery power, Pete?

Anyone else with an idea?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry,

I don't drink coffee but my husband does. Our friends brought a Coleman camp stove drip coffee maker with them on our camping trips and apparently it worked really well. It would work on the stove inside so we may get one as I have become a fan of things that do not need to run off of a generator or battery. It is on the large side though so that is another consideration. Walmart carries them.

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/rev ... offee.html

Lisa

• Moderators

Sherry,

A strong, aromatic brew of java in the morning is one of those pleasures of life I enjoy most. My 12v 4 cup drip Cuisenart is rated at 200w. I'm not sure I'll get this right, but I'll give it a go . . .

Amps = watts/volts

Amps = 200/12

Amps = 16.6 (I'm figuring this is an hour's worth in value)

Brew time = 3 minutes, or 1/20 of an hour

16.6/20 = .83 amps draw for one delicious cup of "wake-me-up"

Well worth the value in my book, and besides, the solar panel will replace the energy!

(If there are any real EE majors out there that note a problem in the calculations, feel free to set the record straight)

Time to go get another cup of coffee . . .

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks to both of you, Lisa & Pete.

Pete... Strong & aromatic brew is almost like air to me.... Three minutes at ANY draw is probably worth it to both of us... I'll be happy, hence, he'll be happy.... And he (the engineer) can figure out how to make it work if we're boondocking... I have total confidence!

We just came back from an overnite where I made a liter of coffee with the pourover Mellita method... Great coffee, no power consumed.... twenty minutes, miniumum. Water on the SMEV stove (so quick) was hot in three minutes... but pouring over 12 times was tedious, at best, in that little filter cup....

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Pete is this the one you are using ?

Did a search and found this listing on the Cabela's web site, it comes in 4 cup and 12 cup sizes:

This is what it looked like:

>

There were quite a few reviews available on the Cabela's web site about the coffee maker. Most were very favorable, and the negative ones seemed to be related to battery and voltage capacity issues. One guy tried to brew coffee using his small atv battery ! :o

Butcheknife advises that the "stainless steele carafe is a good thing, the way some people drive !" , while giveing me a funny look. Surely she wasn't referring to my cushion flinging manouvers ! :mrgreen:

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

I love Butcherknife's sense of humor... Hope to meet you both one day! Thanks for the link.

Sherry

PS Our cushions still slide too... I haven't done any velcro or anything to hold them in place.... Just seems ok to stack them in/on the bed/big dinette... (Velcro may be a rainy day project for me???)

But, even moving cushions around, we can still set up in 5-15 minutes, including awning and folding chair deployment (If Paul does the awning :P ... I'm a little height-challenged ). Gotta love those electric jacks...

S.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4