Tow Vehicles

SeaDawg

• Moderators

I received an email last night from the new owners of a pre-loved Oliver. They are looking for a mid-sized SUV to tow their trailer, planning a cross country trip in the future.

We have towed ours with the Volvo XC90, but I don't think I'd recommend it for crossing the country. We've also towed with both the 2004 Silverado and currently used the bigger 2008 Dodge Ram Hemi 4x4 pickuup. Overkill, but a great tow vehicle.

Any recommendations regarding SUVs for these new owners?

Thanks.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I'm guessing that would be Traveler. Congratulations on your Ollie find and welcome to the family :D

For a TV, I'd look for something that has at least a 5000 lb towing capacity. Your trailer will not weigh that much, but you'd have a safety margin in mountainous terrain. I personally pull the Wonder Egg with a 2008 4dr Tacoma with the factory towing package installed (6500 lb towing capacity). Currently have about 130,000 on the truck and 70,000 of that has been towing the Ollie around the US. Works fine in mountains (been over the Rockies 5 times), I can keep gas & generator under a locking cover in the bed of the truck, and when not towing, the 4dr permits me to carry extra passengers of all sizes in comfort.

Whatever you select, be sure to actually check the owner's manual to ensure it has the towing capacity you're seeking. Don't rely on the positive comments from the salesman or previous owner.

Good luck and HAPPY TRAVELING!,

Pete

• Like 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

And the FJ and the Oliver look great together, too!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

I've towed our Oliver with a Chevy Traverse. It does a great job towing the Oliver. We averaged 14.3 MPG with the Traverse and it is a very comfortable vehicle. However, since the Oliver has no outside storage, it's hard to beet a pickup for long trips with the Oliver.

• 1 year later...

I was looking at a Nissan XTerra - 5000 pounds capacity with the tow package. I've since decided a truck would be more practical for carrying "stuff". Dodge is coming out with a new Dakota next year. Since I used to have a Dakota, and really liked it, that might be the way I roll.

• Moderators

We love our Dodge Ram 1500 hemi. Overkill, sure. It's also great as our work vehicle. (Dents and dings show the story...)

Looking forward to the new Dodge offerings. We're still waiting for a smaller, tough diesel, as offered pretty much everywhere but North America. bah. I think Dodge will bring it on soon, with the Fiat influence.

A pickup with a bed cover is a great tow vehicle. We upgraded from the step-side short bed Silverado to the Dodge for the 4x4, and the four seats of the extended cab. I still drive the Silverado as a daily driver, Paul drives the 4x4 Dodge.

The pickup bed gives us a lot of hauling space for the "stuff" we (think) we need... We have a locking cover on the bed, and find that it meets our needs. Towing capacity far exceeds our needs, but I'd rather be on the plus side, than on the margin, when the going is a little tough.

Sherry

Full disclosure: I'd wanted a hemi from the time I was 15. Finally got one.... several decades later....

Retirement does have some benefits.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator+

7gepyri3g50o6io3fdetcamt2yoq3031.jpg

New tow vehicle...

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Nice looking truck, Steve. Like the new topper, too. Lots of room now for gear, and seating for all the dogs with the big cab. I'll bet it makes a really sweet looking rig going down the road with your new Oliver Legacy II.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator+

At about 60 mph, we are getting around 13.5 mpg. We have only been on relatively short trips so far (less than 1000 miles) so I hope for some better on longer hauls.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 2 years later...

For this year, we will be using a 2005 Toyota Sequoia  (4.7L V8) to tow our Elite II that will be hatched in May.  I am a Mechanical Engineer and have well maintained this one owner vehicle.  I have exclusively used only Mobile 1 synthetic oils and I believe, as a result, our Sequoia is mechanically still in very good condition despite having 215,000 miles.   Our first trip with our Ollie will be coast to coast and back this summer chasing the Paragliding competitions across the USA.  If we have the endurance, we will be covering just over 8,000 miles.  And YES I will be using an Anderson.  :-)   I anticipate that by our second major trip (Summer 2019) we will be in a position to upgrade our TV.  Hence the purpose of this post.

We generally base camp at sites with maintained dirt/gravel roads.  Then load up four adults with gear and climb up less kind roads to higher altitude  paraglider launches. In past lives, we were tent campers and used a 1994 4-Runner, then a 1999 1500 Suburban, and for many years our 2005 Sequoia.  All were/are  4X4, with center locking diff, a locker rear end, and off road tires.  I loved the old solid axle 4-Runners for climbing; but they are now outdated and would be way too small for the Elite II.  The  Suburban was a bit too large and heavy for the off-road use.  Our 2005 Sequoia is about the right size for us; and is good enough off road.  But I do agree with several Ollie owners that our 2005 is a bit on the light side for long distance towing of an Elite II.

I would love to hear your recommendations for a used SUV TV to tow an Oliver Elite II AND that has pretty good off road capability.  Thank you,

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I would love to hear your recommendations for a used SUV TV to tow an Oliver Elite II AND that has pretty good off road capability. Thank you,
Boy this is an old thread!

The main issue with your Sequoia 4.7 is the engine and transmission. They are just plain inadequate for an Elite II, especially in the mountains. For what you describe a Land Cruiser 200 would be perfect. Your goals are the same as mine. Park the Ollie and explore the high country...

Since you will definitely be going off payment it would be silly to buy a new truck. A used 2013 or later would be ideal. Look for a low miles certified if you are at all uneasy, but these trucks have VERY few serious issues. The drivetrain is identical to the Tundra and it is a brute. If you can afford it, get the later year with 8 speed auto. It has closer spacing of the first 6 gears with two overdrives and a much lower first ratio.

But the six speed is fine too.

$40K will buy you a very nice 2013 or 2014. These trucks new are now close to 90K.

All you really need is;

Remove the running boards, consider steel sliders.

Install larger 10 ply tires.

Install a minimal lift if you plan to do a lot of ledgey passes.

That's all you need, it is absolutely phenomenal offroad.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/land-cruiser-200-towing-thread/

If you have proper tires you probably will never need to use CRAWL to self-extract from a bog:

If you don't mind another Sequoia, a late model 5.7 will do OK off-road when prepped the same but it is in NO way as capable as a 200. If you think you want a bed, look at a used Power Wagon 6.4. They drive way better than the HD pickups but you can't load them way down with gear like those. They are clumsy on tighter trails.....

I used to have a fully tricked out Series 80 Land Cruiser (with three lockers).This mostly stock 200 is a little larger physically but it will go anywhere that older truck would go. It is scary capable.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

This is an old thread, and thanks for the memories.

When we started this thread, all the participants had the older elite 1, smaller and lighter trailers.

Don't go by our 5 year old comments, relating to much smaller and lighter trailers. (Most of us still have the now ten years old smaller trailers...)

Read your own specs , vis a vis a much larger and heavier trailer than our Elite originals.

Welcome to the forum, and wishing you miles of smiles. I haven't looked at your tv for specs.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thank you John.  I had not thought of the Toyota L.C.  Pretty stout vehicle.  Come to think of it, I have not ever seen one broken down on the highway.

Geronimo John

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

Sherry:

Thanks for the 5 year ago warning. Very important to keep in mind.

My TV is rated at GVRW 6700, Combined Gross Weight 12,000 pounds.  Curb Weight of 5070 with all extras loads it out to no more than 5800.

My decked out Elite II will weigh in at 5450 max.  Combined with the max weight of the Sequoia loaded out with all gear is 11,250.

Just under the 12K max.  I will be using an Anderson.  Total loads will generally be less as I will travel 95% of the miles pretty much with a dry trailer.

G.J.

• Thanks 1

GJ you might want to call your insurance company to find out what they'll cover.  I have talked to State Farm, Geico, and Liberty Mutual, and all three have said that in order for a claim to be covered, the GVWR of the trailer cannot be more than the tow rating of the tow vehicle (or tow vehicle + trailer GVWRs cannot be more than GCWR, which is pretty much the same thing).  Don't rely on what the salespeople say, try to talk to someone in claims.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

Rumline:

Now that would really be a problem.  Thank you for the heads up.  I'll check further with USAA.

But first, yes, I'm learning the system now....

Are there any USAA insured former Military Ollie Owners out there that have already worked this issue?

Thank you all again!

GJ

Thank you John. I had not thought of the Toyota L.C. Pretty stout vehicle. Come to think of it, I have not ever seen one broken down on the highway. Geronimo John

Since 2005, the most Land Cruisers sold in a year is 3800, so seeing one broken down would be about as rare as seeing an Ollie in the wild. Which is interesting as it's sales numbers fall behind the Maserati Levante (not comparing vehicles, just numbers)

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Since 2005, the most Land Cruisers sold in a year is 3800, so seeing one broken down would be about as rare as seeing an Ollie in the wild. Which is interesting as it’s sales numbers fall behind the Maserati Levante (not comparing vehicles, just numbers)

Another interesting fact is that Land Cruisers go through several owners at first, the first ones tend to lease, and they replace them every one or two years with another new one. They also don’t take them off pavement so they are usually in very nice condition inside and out when the third or fourth owner buys them.

By then the value is half the new cost and regular folks who want to utilize their offroad capabilities can do so without panicking about scratches and dents. It takes about five years for the aftermarket to make stuff like body armor available.

You don’t see used 200s sitting on dealer lots, they get grabbed up within a few days. Some dealers have waiting lists.

I am the fourth owner and my 2013 now has 103k miles. It drives like new with absolutely no squeeks or rattles, even on nasty potholed forest roads. It is a great highway tourer. The fuel economy sucks, but that is the price you pay for its bulletproof build quality.

Everytime I see a Prius I am thankful, since four of them made the building of my Land Cruiser possible..... if we could get the twin turbo V8 diesel variant like the rest of the world, that would no longer be an issue.

They are neat vehicles.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John:

It looks like the 2013 LC is using the same drive train as the Tundra and Sequoia.  The LC is about a foot shorter as well which is good for off road and I don't need the extra 12" for travel or hauling.  It appears that the LC "body armor", suspension, and certainly the interiors are all significantly upgraded and optimize for off road.  Great machine, but as you indicated, it's double the cost of a 2013 Sequoia with the same engine, transmission and a lot of other parts as well.  As a TV the LC at 8500 Tow Rating works great.  The 7400 Tow Rating of the Sequoia with the LC engine and trans sits pretty much right between my 2005 and the 2013 LC.  I will put a few miles on the 2005 to get a better perspective on how the Elite II pulls and my unit handles it.  For sure I am looking at the updated Sequoia, and maybe even to the LC as you suggested.

Thanks for the get back and info.

GJ

if we could get the twin turbo V8 diesel variant like the rest of the world

…then I would buy one. ???? Every time somebody wishes for more diesel vehicles, CARB kills a kitten.

https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-landcruiser-200-series-2018-tow-test-110477/

The stock engine is 270 bhp/480 ft lbs, but it will put out reliable 600 ft lbs with a mild tune.

Last year 13,000 200s  were sold in Oz, most of them diesels. They also get a bunch of lower trim levels like the bare bones VX tested, one step above a work truck... If I ever move to Australia or NZ I know what I will be buying.

John Davies

Spokane WA