Installing Trojan T-105 Batteries

I would like to install two Trojan T-105 six-volt golf cart batteries in our Oliver (replacing our existing batteries), but I am concerned that there doesn't seem to be enough height to accommodate them in the battery compartment--particularly at the rear of the compartment. I would appreciate it if any Oliver owners who have installed this particular battery in their Olivers would respond to let me know whether any modifications of the compartment were necessary (such as cutting off the top of the compartment) in order to fit the T-105's height.

It also seems that two of the T-105 batteries might be a little too wide for the tray, but perhaps not.

Thank you very much,

Steve

DC,

Thanks for the suggestion that I consider building my own battery tray if necessary. Thanks, as well, for the link to your posts showing the tray that you built. It will provide a good example, if I find that I need to build one myself.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's an update:

I obtained two T-105+ batteries and installed them back in June. The installation is very tight and I had to modify the hold-down system a little to make it work. Since then we have taken the trailer out for a couple of trips, and these batteries take a charge, hold the charge, and maintain output much, much better than the 12-volt "marine" batteries that we had used before. I am glad that I made the change.

Steve

• Moderators

Hi Steve & Elizabeth,

It's been a long time since Oscar and I visited you out in California! Hoping you are both doing well. I forgot if you had a solar charging panel or not. I must confess that I am NOT an electrical minded person ( nor is Oscar an elecrical minded dog ) but what is the real advantage of 2 six volt batteries if you have solar energy recharging the system? If one of the batteries goes bad, will you immediately lose 12V power? Just thinkin' and wonderin'.

Safe travels.

Pete

Ps C

an you join other Olivers in Tennessee next year for a "family gathering"?

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Hi, Pete,

Yes, we do have a solar panel; it is not attached to the trailer, and we carry it in our tow vehicle and deploy it when the conditions are right. I believe that the panel and controller are the same make and model as on your trailer. We often camp deep in the forest where the trailer is in total or mostly shade, so being able to have the solar panel set up in a patch of sunlight ten to forty feet away, sometimes comes in handy. At other times, we use the generator. On the other hand, when we camp in non-wooded areas on sunny days, the solar panel supplies all of the power we need.

Regarding the batteries, the advantage is not that they are 6-volt; in fact, that's probably a disadvantage, and you are correct in wondering whether if a battery suddenly goes bad, we would lose 12-volt power. We would, indeed. I am counting on that not happening.

What I like about these batteries is that there is no question that they are true deep-cycle batteries, and that makes a world of difference, at least in our Oliver. We have had two pairs of 12-volt marine batteries--big ones, group 31 (from the Oliver factory) and then a pair of group 27--with lots of amp-hour storage capacity. Neither of these pairs of batteries held and delivered the current that we would expect, given our frugal use of electricity. Marine batteries are just not true deep-cycle batteries--they are a compromise of starting battery and deep-cycle functions, and that is reflected in their designs. True deep-cycle batteries have design features, including considerably thicker plates, that suit their purpose of providing a lot of current over a sustained period of time. These design features make deep-cycle batteries much less suitable for providing the surge of current needed to start an engine, and so, you will only very rarely see a "cranking amp" specification on a true deep-cycle battery.

One needn't get 6-volt golf cart batteries to get true deep-cycle batteries. There are a few 12-volt true deep-cycle batteries to chose from. (Again, though, from all that I have learned about this, I would not expect any true deep-cycle battery to have a cranking amperage listed or associated with it.) For us, it was a matter of battery dimensions and their availability in our area that drove our choice to get these batteries. In addition, the Trojan T-105 batteries have a very good reputation for reliable use in golf carts in our area.

Regarding a "family gathering" of Oliver trailers in Tennessee next year, we have no plans to travel east. If something is being planned, though, please let us know.

Safe travels to you and Oscar,

Steve

• Moderators

Steve,

Regarding an Oliver rally . . . On FaceBook, you will find two pages if you do a search for "Oliver Travel Trailer". One is a group where owners are posting current pictures and thoughts on their trailers, the other is the Oliver Travel Trailer company page where they are talking about the production of the new trailers and posting pictures of the production line.

Robert Partee, aka BuffaloBob, is starting to put together a Spring 2014 gathering of Oliver trailers near the "factory nest" where these eggs were originally made. The rally will not be limited to Oliver trailers but it will sure be nice to meet other owners in person and share experiences we've all had. You can find information on the rally on these pages as the time gets nearer.

While the Facebook page is awesome for sharing information on current camping, I find these forum pages invaluable for in depth information available with a searchable feature.

If you go to the two six volt batteries will you need to install anything special between your solar system and the batteries or does it not matter whether it is putting energy into 6V batteries wired in series or two 12V batteries in parallel?

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Pete,

Thanks for the information regarding the FaceBook pages. On the group page, I clicked the button to join the group and nothing happened. Perhaps I need to be approved as a member and will be contacted by a moderator.

A Spring 2014 gathering of Oliver trailers near the "factory nest" sounds interesting. I look forward to hearing more. Do you know if dates (even tentative) have been set? It would help us a great deal to know the dates as soon as possible. We would have to come (and return) a loooong way.

To answer your question regarding the batteries: Since the Trojan T-105 golf-cart batteries are flooded lead-acid batteries, just like the 12-volt marine batteries that they replaced, no changes needed to be made in the settings on the solar controller and no additional equipment was required. The only difference is, as you point out, the 6-volt batteries are wired in series, and the 12-volt batteries in parallel.

Steve

• Moderators

Thanks for the electrical information, Steve.

I believe Mountainborn created the Oliver Trailer group in FB and he'll do the authorization for you. BuffaloBob will be working on the specifics of the "Oliver Travel Trailer & Friends Rally on the Trail" (or whatever he'll call it) and we should find more data on that on these web sources as things come together. It sure would be great to see you both again and meet more of the community that's out there.

Pete