Solar Panel Ponderings

I've just posted all my research into solar panel options here:

http://radven.livejournal.com/128003.html

Here is the content of that post. Click through to the original to follow links...

====

One of the biggest challenges to living a solar powered technomadic life in a trailer as small as the Oliver is the lack of roof space to mount solar panels.

The Oliver's fiberglass roof isn't just small, it is not even flat. It rises up in the middle to allow for interior headroom, and it is lower on the sides.

By removing the satellite TV antenna, and by having the factory slide the roof fan back towards the air conditioner, and the bathroom fan forward a bit - the flat area left for potential solar goodness is around 61" x 28", give or take a bit. (Without relocating the vents, there is around 34" length...)

I've been researching a few potential panels that may potentially prove workable:

+ Kyocera KC-65T: 65W, 17.4 V peak, 29.6" x 25.7" x 2.1" x 13.2 lbs -- $350 ($5.38/watt)

+ Kyocera KC85TS: 85W, 17.4 V peak, 39.6" x 25.7" x 24 lbs -- $438 ($5.15/watt)

+ AM Solar AM100: 100W, 21.5 V peak, 57.25" x 21.25" x 1.92" x 20.8 lbs -- $550 ($5.50/watt)

+ Kyocera KD135GX-LP: 135W, 17.7 V peak, 59.1" x 26.3" x 1.4" x 28.7 lbs -- $655 ($5.04/watt)

+ Mitsubishi PV-MF170EB3: 170W, 24.6 V peak, 62.2" x 31.5" x 1.8" x 32.2 lbs -- $761 ($4.48/watt)

+ Sharp NT-180U1: 180W, 36.86 V peak, 62" x 32.5" x 1.8" x 37.5 lbs -- $905 ($5.03/watt)

Technical Note: Typically, to interface with 12V batteries, you want solar panels with around 17V peak charging voltage. To use panels with a higher charging voltage, you need a MPPT charge controller to down-convert the panel voltage. I included these higher voltage panels because I am leaning towards an MPPT capable charge controller.

Mounting Hardware:

The next challenge is the mounting hardware. Flat mounts are simpler, but tilting mounts give you the option of pointing the panels towards the sun while parked, which can give you a substantial boost in power. But they also then require you to figure out a way to get up on the roof to do the tilting....

Northern Arizona Wind & Sun has a page full of various RV mounts to consider.

The AM Solar folks have a nice set of RV-optimized mounts with tilt bars. These mounts seem particularly well suited for roofs that are not perfectly flat.

Multiple Panel Options:

The AM Solar folks have been talking with the Oliver plant manager, and they think they have come up with a way to join two AM100 panels together sharing a single set of tilting mounts. This will result in 42.5" of width, with around 5" of wing-like overhang to either side of the Oliver's hump. Hmmm....

The other option for multiple panels would involve having a second deployable panel that we only set up while parked for extended periods. The second panel could be set up freestanding at the end of a long wire so that it could be put in the sun while we are parked in the shade, or perhaps it could be mounted as a shade over the rear window like this ingenious Casita modification.

With either of these options storage and setup becomes a chore, but the extra capacity for living off-grid may prove worth it.

Concluding Thoughts:

The Kyocera 65W panel looks like it will fit in the area where the satellite dish sits on current Olivers, without the need for relocated vents in the roof. This is probably the best option for current Oliver owners looking to upgrade to solar.

Starting from scratch, I am torn between the 2x AM Solar option, or trying to squeeze a single larger panel on like the 180W Sharp. The 135W Kyocera is probably the largest panel that will fit on the roof without any overhang.

• Moderators

I vote for the 2 X 100W panels from AM Solar using their integrated MPPT charge controller. The 100W AM Solar system on the Wonder Egg works great . . . I'll be green with envy, but oh, so happy for you that you'll have doubled my humble 100W capacity. :o

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Hi Pete and Chris!!! :D

Geri already has a couple of foldout panels but never used, YET! I am anxious to see Pete's set up to learn the basics and then can intelligently( at least as I can get) grill Chris n Cherie on their cool setup and plans for their Oliver. I posted a co that I had experience with before Cherie and Chris were thought of, on the 12v Air conditioning thread. The co has come back with a differant name (TurboKool) but same parts. I've converted my Honda 2000 to propane but would like to get further off the grid!!!

Pete, will see you soon and hoping to meet Chris and Cherie soon.

Chuck 8-)

Possibly a dumb idea but why couldn't the real estate on top of the tow vehicle be used for solar panels? Seems that there would be plenty of flat and unobstructed space available. And there is already a connection to the trailer through the 7-pin connector.