Leaking Propane Hoses to Regulator

Wayfinder

Sorry if this is duplicate, but I cannot find the correct search term(s) in this forum to find the right thread.

It's time to replace my original propane regulator-to-tank hoses.  They are leaking at the metal seams.  

Since my rig is a 2016 (#110) would you recommend also replacing the regulator too?  I see no problem with it, yet, but, you know how that goes.

Also, what type of hose upgrades might you recommend, if any?  Are braided more flexible, safer, better?  A little longer than original or not.  I used a string to measure mine, I'm not sure how they measure them, but it looks like they may be nearly 15 inches (or 1 1/4') on E-Trailer.com.  Also looks like they have the inverted flare male connector (the smaller diameter one).  

Any part(s) suggestions are welcome.  I'm okay with making it better than factory-provided.  

Is there anything that will allow for less movement of the hoses when taking the tanks in and out?

Here's what I see so far: https://www.etrailer.com/Propane-Fittings/JR-Products/37207-30725.html

When it's warming, I intend on checking all the lines under the hull too for potential leaks.

Happy New Year (2023)

PXL_20221226_203142930.jpg

PXL_20221226_205431241.jpg

PXL_20221226_203055984.jpg

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

Just stick with the same length and style in a quality brand hose. The e-trailer cheaper MB Sturgis hose is made by MB Sturgis, not just a repackage like the JR and Camco. Hoses with the stainless steel overbraid won't do anything for you in a protected tank enclosure except cost more money. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Carrying too many spare parts gets really expensive. Not only takes up more space, but then I need to upgrade from a 1500 to a 2500 truck. Oooh, that's a good reason. LOL 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

7 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

Carrying too many spare parts gets really expensive. Not only takes up more space, but then I need to upgrade from a 1500 to a 2500 truck. Oooh, that's a good reason. LOL 

You’re on to something now! 👍🏻😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

15 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

Getting a new regulator will make you feel good for being on the ball. Getting a new truck will put a smile on your face every time you have to go somewhere, or even look out in the driveway. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

• Moderators

For what its worth - last Spring I replaced my hoses with two of THESE in the 12 inch length combined with two of THESE emergency gas cut off devices.  All was purchased from TechnoRV.com.

A couple of notes -

1 - make sure that you check the size of the connections on the hoses.  Given your hull # I'd bet that you will need adaptors for these hoses to connect to the regulator.

2 - Given that the fittings on any of these hoses are made of brass, be careful that you do not over-tighten the fittings in that you stand a good chance of stripping the threads on that relatively soft brass.  I believe that the torque setting is 25 foot pounds (but please reconfirm this).  

3 - Make certain that you use "gas" tape or pipe dope.  The tape is a bright yellow color and the pipe dope will be clearly marked as for use with gas.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, Ollie-Haus said:

Getting a new regulator will make you feel good for being on the ball. Getting a new truck will put a smile on your face every time you have to go somewhere, or even look out in the driveway. 😉

Well, that's a huge cost difference when I'm already looking pretty good, AND I have the Decked system already in the truck.  LOL  But, if I do more mountain-driving, then I'm sure I'll change my tune. 😝

Truck-and-oliver-trailer-50p1.jpg

• Love 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

For what its worth - last Spring I replaced my hoses with two of THESE in the 12 inch length combined with two of THESE emergency gas cut off devices.  All was purchased from TechnoRV.com.

A couple of notes -

1 - make sure that you check the size of the connections on the hoses.  Given your hull # I'd bet that you will need adaptors for these hoses to connect to the regulator.

2 - Given that the fittings on any of these hoses are made of brass, be careful that you do not over-tighten the fittings in that you stand a good chance of stripping the threads on that relatively soft brass.  I believe that the torque setting is 25 foot pounds (but please reconfirm this).  

3 - Make certain that you use "gas" tape or pipe dope.  The tape is a bright yellow color and the pipe dope will be clearly marked as for use with gas.

Bill

Bill, 

Looks like I already have the hose connector adaptors.

gas-connectors-close-up.jpg

• Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

For what its worth - last Spring I replaced my hoses with two of THESE in the 12 inch length combined with two of THESE emergency gas cut off devices. 

It seems to me that the brass 90 built into the 12" replacement hoses you bought would reduce the stress on the hose connections, likely increasing the useful life of the assembly.  Does anyone know why Oliver doesn't install 12" hoses with the brass 90's, instead of the longer hoses that must be bent into a tight curve to make that 90-degree turn from the tank to the regulator connection?

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

3 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

Well, that's a huge cost difference when I'm already looking pretty good, AND I have the Decked system already in the truck.  LOL  But, if I do more mountain-driving, then I'm sure I'll change my tune. 😝

Truck-and-oliver-trailer-50p1.jpg

That's an awesome looking rig you have there. I saw in your signature line that you already have a new truck that's pretty awesome but it still sounded funny saying it. Love the decked system. I've seen that on some YouTube RV channels and looks like a great way to organize gear in the bed and still be able to get to everything. 

• Like 1

States Visited Map

1 hour ago, Rivernerd said:

It seems to me that the brass 90 built into the 12" replacement hoses you bought would reduce the stress on the hose connections, likely increasing the useful life of the assembly.  Does anyone know why Oliver doesn't install 12" hoses with the brass 90's, instead of the longer hoses that must be bent into a tight curve to make that 90-degree turn from the tank to the regulator connection?

I was thinking the same thing. The short hoses with the 90 deg fitting are obviously designed with this in mind. 

States Visited Map

• Moderator+
5 hours ago, Ollie-Haus said:

And getting a truck big enough to haul everything will get you admitted to the cool kids club. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Ollie-Haus said:

The short hoses with the 90 deg fitting are obviously designed with this in mind. 

Yes, I thought the same thing.  But, the original hoses did give me more "wiggle" room - particularly when taking the tanks in and out for refilling.  Having said this, I'd still do the same thing over again in that the new hoses really do reduce that big bend in the original and clean up the space a bit.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I recently replaced my aging rubber hoses with some stainless steel braided hoses that had pressure gauges on them.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZCRFLHD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details   In order to eliminate the acute angle of the hose run, I turned each of the tanks' connections "outwards" on the trailer about 30° which made for a nice smooth curve of the hose.  Be sure to always have a bottle of propane gas leak detector with you to confirm no leaks every time you connect your hoses to the tanks.  https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Gas-Leak-Detector-Dauber/dp/B0006JLSMO/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=propane+leak+detector+fluid&qid=1672186001&sr=8-6

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

I installed brass 90 deg “street elbows” with new short rubber hoses. One important part of inspecting the hoses is to look for cracks (weather checking) and stainless wrapped hoses prevent this. Plus they are completely unnecessary in this application.

Be aware that the small check valves must be retained, they provide one way flow away from the regulator, otherwise the switch over function will no longer work, since the tanks will essentially be connected to each other.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 12/27/2022 at 12:32 PM, Rivernerd said:

When I get the new lines installed, I'll upload a before/after pic.  I too am hoping the new shorter lines with 90 degree connectors will reduce movement when removing tanks.

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

Well, these new hoses went on in a snap.  No leaks now.  I did need to rotate the tanks 90 degrees so the lines fit best.  We'll see if they last another six years.

gas-gear.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 7

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderator+

Very nice setup, our unit was built in late 2013 and may well be in poor shape. I will check the hoses out tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

15 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

Well, these new hoses went on in a snap.  No leaks now.  I did need to rotate the tanks 90 degrees so the lines fit best.  We'll see if they last another six years.

gas-gear.jpg

Wayfinder,

Nice job on the replacements gas lines! I always like a really clean looking fit and finish. It’s all in the little details for sure! 👍🏻

-Patriot 🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

F8E8465C-892F-46F5-AD2D-A59801353F0B.thumb.jpeg.0ee3180a7681ba47ef0b37c2fd60ffb5.jpeg

C4C252D4-ACDE-4A71-A8DB-D06881996C7E.thumb.jpeg.f1a1e0fb486703dc0bc6a9740546d682.jpeg

You can leave the plastic cover off all the time, it is a rain shield and completely open at the bottom. It isn’t needed in an Ollie. That way you can inspect the hose connections more easily. And it saves weight, the trailer will be lots faster….

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.