More info on the RAM 3500 with camper that broke its frame in Baja

John E Davies

• Like 8

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks for posting the follow up article.   It’s pretty clear that the truck was overloaded, even though the owner thinks otherwise.   The owner was using the wrong payload numbers for his specific truck.   He was going by the absolute max payload number advertised (regular cab, gas engine 2 wheel drive, base model) and not using his actual payload number for his crew cab diesel 4x4.    I’m glad the article pointed that out, but that owner still seems either unable or unwilling to accept the math.   I’d love to see the owner post a picture of his door jamb payload label on his truck.  That one simple picture would speak volumes.  This also makes it pretty clear that the manufacturers don’t use a huge safety factor multiplier in designing for their payload ratings. The limit is the limit!   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Frank C said:

Thanks for posting the follow up article.   It’s pretty clear that the truck was overloaded, even though the owner thinks otherwise.   The owner was using the wrong payload numbers for his specific truck.   He was going by the absolute max payload number advertised (regular cab, gas engine 2 wheel drive, base model) and not using his actual payload number for his crew cab diesel 4x4.    I’m glad the article pointed that out, but that owner still seems either unable or unwilling to accept the math.   I’d love to see the owner post a picture of his door jamb payload label on his truck.  That one simple picture would speak volumes.  This also makes it pretty clear that the manufacturers don’t use a huge safety factor multiplier in designing for their payload ratings. The limit is the limit!   

And to add to what you stated above, If the owner would have taken his loaded truck including the motorcycle hanging on the back to a scale, he would have discovered his rear axil was grossly overloaded. With that much weight hanging aft the rear axil and the diesel engine in the front end with that extra long frame, it broke the frame at exactly the point that one would expect in those conditions. 

• Like 5

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Idiot..

Yup!  And the front tiedowns assisted in the constant flexing of the frame during all those miles in which there was "no problem."

Charlie.

• Like 3

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

Moral of the story - never take the word or advice of a salesman trying to sell you a truck or RV as to its true capacities or capabilities. Know your equipment. Educate yourself to what you will need in the real world conditions you plan to use the equipment. And most of all, always build in a margin of safety. It's never worth trying to find the breaking point of your equipment. 

• Like 5

States Visited Map

• 2 months later...

Looks like this owner lucked out.  It was denied as a warranty repair by the factory because he exceeded his payload number, but his insurance (GEICO) covered the broken frame, even though he finally admitted he was over his payload rating for his specific truck.  Another example of why you should never trust what the dealership/salesman tells you about the towing/payload ratings.  

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/insurance-covers-repair-to-pavels-overloaded-and-broken-ram-3500-frame/

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

I saw several of these overloaded diesel crew cab DRW 4x4 3500 trucks in the SW this past Winter.  Many had huge, tall truck bed campers with substantial rear overhang (some with slides on rear and both sides), some even with long stinger hitches, hauling dual axle toy haulers which likely had over 750 lb tongue weight.  Saw one with all of the above at Walmart in Deming.  The poor truck was squatting and they were not running any type of weight distribution hitch.  Must have been like a carnival ride going down the highway.  I much prefer the balanced, easy to tow experience of the Ollie for enjoyment of the trip down the highway.

• Like 5

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

Not to open a wider topic, but this is why many of us are so adamant about understanding your vehicle's capacities and capabilities, and staying well within a safety margin. Too many think they can get by, but don't know if they can get by. I just don't like rolling the dice with my life and the lives of those around me. Plus it can be a whole lot of trouble and really ruin your travel plans at the least. In this case the other Geico customers are going to foot the bill for his negligence. Stay safe out there friends. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

States Visited Map

Wow!

Each to his or her own but for the life of me I have never understood the allure of truck campers in the first place. So here is a RAM 3500 dually that collapses under the weight of its payload, but with a significantly smaller truck and RV trailer not only could an individual have more room but also easier traveling.

A few years ago I was up in Glacier NP late May early June, god awful weather too, and the couple across from me had a similar setup but with a Ford F350 dually and FG Bigfoot on the truck bed. He had already blown one setup and now had a new F350 to make the haul at the cost of around $90K if I remember correctly. He was enamored by my relatively lightweight setup and ease of use. Came over every day to inspect the Oliver et al even as I was hitching up solo with relative ease. He was green with envy not only for the additional room but the ease of setup and take down. Oh and he was also pulling a small vehicle in tow, Fiat or Mini Cooper one or the other.

Go figure.

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70