Dewinterizing Question

We’re heading south from Virginia in our LE2 in a few days, and it’s warm enough to dewinterize before leaving, so I watched Jason’s dewinterizing video (1st time for us). Towards the end, Jason connects the water hose to the rear winterization port, goes inside, turns on the pump, then opens the cold water faucet at the sink to clear the rear port line. So, I learned something today…I can use pressurized water at the rear port, and the water pump won’t mind that. I naively thought that pressurized water on the pump inlet side might damage the pump…It won’t, will it?

• Like 3

‘22 Ram 1500 4x4 Eco-diesel | ‘22 OTT LE2 hull # 1056 | Eastern VA

2 hours ago, Paul and Santina said:

So, I learned something today…I can use pressurized water at the rear port, and the water pump won’t mind that. I naively thought that pressurized water on the pump inlet side might damage the pump…It won’t, will it?

You raise an excellent point.  I can't comment on the physics, but I have found Jason Essary to be THE source of reliable information on Oliver Travel Trailers.  As he recommends attaching pressurized water to the rear inlet port, and then turning the water pump on, I plan to do just as he instructs in the video when dewinterizing my Elite II. 

It would be prudent to place the water pressure regulator supplied by Oliver on the inlet side of the water hose, just as you should do when attaching a hose to the City Water port, to ensure that the input water pressure is not too high.

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

36 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

It would be prudent to place the water pressure regulator supplied by Oliver on the inlet side of the water hose, just as you should do when attaching a hose to the City Water port, to ensure that the input water pressure is not too high.

FYI the cheap “bullet” regulator does indeed protect from high pressure, but it also restricts the water flow. A full flow adjustable one is much better in the long run.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

3 hours ago, Paul and Santina said:

I naively thought that pressurized water on the pump inlet side might damage the pump…It won’t, will it?

For the Shurflo Revolution 4008 water pump, Pentair specifies a maximum inlet pressure of 30 psi. The video procedure should include mention of using a pressure regulator but a safer approach to flushing the pump might be to isolate it from the tank and use fresh water drawn from a jug at the rear inlet. 

• Like 4

Thanks - your comments gave me the confidence to give it a go. And thanks for the reminder to attach a regulator - I have both kinds (always need a backup).

Everything worked during dewinterization as Jason described. Man I love this Ollie. Can’t wait to spend the remainder of the winter tooling around at state parks south of here. Happy New Year to you 🥳🥂

• Like 2

‘22 Ram 1500 4x4 Eco-diesel | ‘22 OTT LE2 hull # 1056 | Eastern VA