Truma Drop in Water Temp

This weekend my Truma did something weird. It produced hot water as usual, however after a few seconds the temperature would drop to luke warm and stay there until I turned water off and back on. When it came back on it would be hot for a few seconds but return to luke warm. There were no error codes happening, so no idea what's going on. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,Duane

2018 Elite

TV - Audi Q5 3.0 TDI

One thing to check......from iRV2 forum:

20 minutes ago, DonnaDuane said:

This weekend my Truma did something weird. It produced hot water as usual, however after a few seconds the temperature would drop to luke warm and stay there until I turned water off and back on. When it came back on it would be hot for a few seconds but return to luke warm. There were no error codes happening, so no idea what's going on. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,Duane

Steve

Oops....added forum item:

Truma Aquago Hot Water Heater FYI

Went to take a shower in our new MH that has the Truma Aquago Endless Hot Water Heater this weekend and the hot water would only get luke warm. Too cool to take a shower. Two weeks ago, it worked just fine. The trouble shooting begin and after about twelve hours later, my wife reached out to Facebook for help. Luckily a quick response said to check the outside shower to make sure both the hot and cold water faucets were off, because if they wasn't, the hot and cold water would mix. Sure enough, that's what it was. FYI, make sure you turn the outside shower faucets off.

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderator+
9 hours ago, DonnaDuane said:

Thank you Steve. I will check my outside shower, despite thinking I always keep those off. I'll let you know what I find.

If either or both of these valves are open, you would only have have water pouring out onto the the ground. There is no mixing valve in that area. The article referenced was about a setup in a motor home. None of its components and certainly not its plumbing layout would be the same as in our Oliver’s. I doubt this will be the solution to your issue. 

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

40 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

If either or both of these valves are open, you would only have have water pouring out onto the the ground. There is no mixing valve in that area. The article referenced was about a setup in a motor home. None of its components and certainly not its plumbing layout would be the same as in our Oliver’s. I doubt this will be the solution to your issue. 

Au contraire. 
On later models with the ITC Fontana

image.png.737c623c3012665b2b85e4a75fb7768e.png

The shower handle has a total shutoff. If both faucets are open with the handle shut off, water will flow from one supply to the other through the mixing valve. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, bhncb said:

Au contraire. 
On later models with the ITC Fontana

image.png.737c623c3012665b2b85e4a75fb7768e.png

The shower handle has a total shutoff. If both faucets are open with the handle shut off, water will flow from one supply to the other through the mixing valve. 

Correct, here’s a YouTube video where Jason actually mentions not to leave the outside shower open or it would cause the inside water to be cold….at about 16:25 time in the video

• Like 4

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

It turns out that both shower faucets were closed, so that's not the cause of my lukewarm water. Any other ideas? I leave for Sun Valley Idaho Thursday morning and it will be 15 degrees at night, so would like my hot water back. Also, does anyone know where I might find Winterizing specifically for an 2018 Elite I? I've attempted to follow the video for the Elite II, but am never confident I've got all the valves configured correctly. Got antifreeze to interior faucets and toilet, and a dribble to outside shower, but when I attempted to fill the Black Tank Flush line, it seemed to not go in. Much of the antifreeze squirted out where the hose connects to the Ollie. Thoughts?

2018 Elite

TV - Audi Q5 3.0 TDI

44 minutes ago, DonnaDuane said:

when I attempted to fill the Black Tank Flush line, it seemed to not go in.

Some model years had a valve in the black tank flush line. Not sure about 2018. I think it was under one of the dinette seats. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will pipe in on this. 

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

3 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Some model years had a valve in the black tank flush line. Not sure about 2018. I think it was under one of the dinette seats. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will pipe in on this. 

See this video for the location of the black tank flush valve, on models that are not "newer."

The valve appears to be accessible under the front dinette seat, on the aft side of the black tank under the toilet.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

54 minutes ago, DonnaDuane said:

It turns out that both shower faucets were closed, so that's not the cause of my lukewarm water. Any other ideas? I leave for Sun Valley Idaho Thursday morning and it will be 15 degrees at night, so would like my hot water back.

As you are coming to my neck of the woods, I hope you can get your hot water working.  It is indeed cold in Idaho this winter.

So, I will ask some potentially stupid questions, in case you haven't thought of these steps already.

Have you verified that your propane flow is consistent, perhaps by testing the cook top flame?

Have  you verified that the water temperature is the same at both the kitchen faucet and the bath?

Have you tested the Truma Aquago in both Eco and Comfort mode?

Have you let the hot water run for 30 seconds to a minute, to verify if the temperature remains lukewarm the entire time?

Have you "rebooted" the Aquago?  This is the "reboot" sequence:

• Power ON the Truma unit at the main power switch (which is the one on the unit, accessible only from the outside, not the wall control inside).

• Then, on the wall control, turn the water heater OFF

• Wait a few seconds, then turn the power to ON at the wall control.

• The AquaGo should now be ready to produce hot water).

Have you verified that the Aquago is not stuck in clean mode?  If not, you might try this sequence:

image.png.a4b8930b0933ed95e8e5395277fe6f74.png

None of these steps are directly linked to the "hot, then lukewarm" issue you describe.  But, if I were heading to Sun Valley, I would work through all these steps before I resigned myself to having no hot water in January in Idaho!

Good luck!

• Like 5

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

In answer to your "stupid" questions LOL

I checked for sufficient propane - had 2 nearly full tanks

Water temp was same in bath as in kitchen. Went from normal hot to lukewarm after about 20 seconds.

I did not test in Eco. I had it on Comfort the entire time

I let the water run for about 30 seconds and it continued to be lukewarm.

I didn't reboot using your procedure. I simply turned it off inside and out, then waited before turning back on outside before turning it back on inside.

I've never put it in Clean/Decalcify mode. Is it possible it could got there on it's own?

• Like 3

2018 Elite

TV - Audi Q5 3.0 TDI

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DonnaDuane said:

Got antifreeze to interior faucets and toilet, and a dribble to outside shower, but when I attempted to fill the Black Tank Flush line, it seemed to not go in. Much of the antifreeze squirted out where the hose connects to the Ollie. Thoughts?

You might have a bad Black flush backflow valve.  I did.  I replaced it and now the flush into the black tank works fine.  If you hook a hose to your black tank flush does it fill your black tank?

This is from under the dinette seat near the bath.  The flush line is on the left, the black tank and backflow valves on the right.

CE61ECCB-473D-493F-A066-2222B4AC1F17.thumb.jpeg.bbbf1fef5535fa18fbf1e0846fc678ed.jpeg

This is the assembly detached from the black tank with the new valve I got from Amazon.

There are two backflow valves on my trailer (2016).  The white part on the right is in the tank.  The gray part is the valve that failed.  Replaced it with the Thetford above.

A88BD876-E7AD-4600-81FE-13B420D35F5B.thumb.jpeg.1c1ba8d6d43d439597dc945624349bd0.jpeg

The bad valve is the gray thing.  The black piece under it on the left is the new valve.

4B30C8A5-6EFA-4317-9495-34B3B311B788.thumb.jpeg.1fbb011d7458d2d6d60dbf8a197e1d27.jpeg

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

2 hours ago, DonnaDuane said:

I've never put it in Clean/Decalcify mode. Is it possible it could got there on it's own?

Yes.  The wall control can get accidentally bumped into clean mode.  Once that happens, the Aquago will stay in clean mode until the sequence detailed in my earlier post is followed.

The question asked by bhncb above is also relevant.  In your shoes, unless you have recently done so, I would get some Truma decalcification tablets, run the clean cycle and see if that solves the problem.

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

12 hours ago, DonnaDuane said:

If it was stuck in Clean/De-Calcify mode that would be indicated on the control panel inside the trailer with the LED blinking slowly, even if you turned the knob back to the normal mode, and you’d have to do the procedure that Rivernerd mentioned.

If the LED on the interior control panel is illuminated solid when in the Normal or ECO mode and not blinking any error code pattern that means the Truma controller thinks everything is ok so the problem may be elsewhere.

Double check all your water valves under the bed to make sure they are all in the correct normal position.  Does the lack of hot water issue happen both when hooked to city water and when using the fresh tank & pump?

You mentioned that you are winterizing also.  Did you bypass the Truma as required when you winterized?  This is very important!

And since you have an older Ollie it may be overdue for a decalcification.   

B8AA27A2-1C90-4E5B-8216-435DF75775CD.jpeg

• Like 4

Hello gang. Had a fabulous weekend of ski racing in Hailey Idaho. Happy to share  I de-winterized successfully and the Truma worked perfectly. 

I’ve never decalcified the Truma as I only run Bull Run (Portland’s ridiculously pure water supply) water through it. 

Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions. 

• Like 1

2018 Elite

TV - Audi Q5 3.0 TDI

9 hours ago, DonnaDuane said:

I de-winterized successfully and the Truma worked perfectly. 

Glad all went well.

How did you resolve the "hot, then lukewarm" water issue?

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg