Just how Weather-proof is an Oly? Anyone else stuck in the major west coast storm?

taylor.coyote

We love to Storm watch off the Oregon coast.  No Leaks so far.  I just hate walking in 1-2"  of water standing around the curb side of the trailer, then end up dragging wet muddy junk in the camper.  Moisture inside is also an issue.  Between days of 100% rain, and wet clothes and shoes, It takes constant work to keep condensation off the walls.

The wind storms will still buffet the trailer, but nothing that moved the trailer.  I worry more about limbs falling on the Oli and crushing the Oli and us. 

• Like 3

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

Last update... raced to get home and !#!!, not power. Just got PG&E update. It will BE 10 DAYS BEFORE WE GET POWER at our home...  the good new is we heat 100% with a wood stove.  the bad new is not running or hot water without running a generator. It's what we both love and dislike about living remote.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

• Moderators
1 hour ago, taylor.coyote said:

update... raced to get home and !#!!, not power. Just got PG&E update. It will BE 10 DAYS BEFORE WE GET POWER at our home...  the good new is we heat 100% with a wood stove.  the bad new is not running or hot water without running a generator. It's what we both love and dislike about living remote.  

I totally get that. On our remote NC property, we've loved living remote, without hookups,  sometimes half the year. (We do have spring water for outdoor showers. )

With storms in any place we are, it's really great to be self contained, in the Ollie. Knowing we can be warm,  we can cook, and deal with extended power outages.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

9 hours ago, taylor.coyote said:

...  the good new is we heat 100% with a wood stove.  the bad new is not running or hot water without running a generator. It's what we both love and dislike about living remote.  

We are glad to hear that you arrived home safely, albeit without power. We also heat with a wood stove in the Sierra Nevada. We keep a couple of big pots of water on it, which helps heat and humidify the house. More importantly, having been through a number of power outages over the years, it provides hot water for bathing, and we keep a pot of beans going on it!

Here's hoping you get your power back soon. In the meantime, the Ollie is a nice alternative.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

TV:  2008 F-350 Crew Cab, 6.4L diesel, 4WD, custom flatbed with storage boxes, Line-X underbody coating      OLLIE:  2022 OE1 Hull 885, Lithium batteries (260AH), 230W solar panels, 2000W Pro inverter, Dometic AC w/Easy Start, Truma Tankless Comfort water heater

ALAZARCACOGAILKSKYMONVNMNCOKSCTNTXUTsm.j

• Moderators

Water will be your issue.  We can live "indefinitely " in our solar  powered Ollie . 

Fresh clean water is the issue , in my experience with extensive boondocking.

Even though we now have an ro system,  for our mountain spring collection system, I still boil water for drinking. Probably belt plus suspenders,  but that's how we roll.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Ollie Ollie in Free said:

We are glad to hear that you arrived home safely, albeit without power. We also heat with a wood stove in the Sierra Nevada. We keep a couple of big pots of water on it, which helps heat and humidify the house. More importantly, having been through a number of power outages over the years, it provides hot water for bathing, and we keep a pot of beans going on it!

Here's hoping you get your power back soon. In the meantime, the Ollie is a nice alternative.

I did that in my little house in western Iowa, back in the day. I had fuel oil heat, but it froze in the lines, sometimes. 

I, too, hope you get power back. 

Best of luck, and keep us posted. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

12 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Fresh clean water is the issue , in my experience with extensive boondocking.

Even though we now have an ro system,  for our mountain spring collection system, I still boil water for drinking. Probably belt plus suspenders,  but that's how we roll.

We boil all our drinking water, rolling boil for one minute per CDC guidelines. Probably belt, suspenders and cummerbund, but it's become habit.

All of which brings to mind that old adage of the American West (which takes on new meaning as we consider the modern relevance of the Colorado River Compact): whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting over. 😄

• Thanks 1

TV:  2008 F-350 Crew Cab, 6.4L diesel, 4WD, custom flatbed with storage boxes, Line-X underbody coating      OLLIE:  2022 OE1 Hull 885, Lithium batteries (260AH), 230W solar panels, 2000W Pro inverter, Dometic AC w/Easy Start, Truma Tankless Comfort water heater

ALAZARCACOGAILKSKYMONVNMNCOKSCTNTXUTsm.j