Legacy II Boondocking

mountainborn

• Moderators

So, just how well will the Legacy II Boondock in weather extremes, you might ask ? I was curious myself, because of the interior being cool at mid day, when we were in Quartzsite Arizona, with not even the fan on. Here is a look at the outside lower hull just after the carefully placed insulation is put in place, on it's inside.

IMAG0382-1.jpg

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

To pick up on this thread - are there any problems camping in temperatures down into the teens? Do the windows frost? If you do not run the heat at night, just how cold is the interior in the morning (say with temps at a low of about 20 overnight and one person inside the Elite II? What about humidity - I know about keeping a window or vent cracked. Any problems noted with any of the on-board systems?

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Following this.. We pick up our Oliver on 12/10. We live in South Dakota. We are wondering about how low a temperature people have camped in (running furnace) without freezing problems (I mean the camper not us).

The place we plan to store it will be 40 degrees (heated hangar). At what point do we need to winterize ..i.e. How long can it set at 40 or do we need to do anything for storage at that temp.?

Thanks

Linda

Following this.. We pick up our Oliver on 12/10. We live in South Dakota. We are wondering about how low a temperature people have camped in (running furnace) without freezing problems (I mean the camper not us).

The place we plan to store it will be 40 degrees (heated hangar). At what point do we need to winterize ..i.e. How long can it set at 40 or do we need to do anything for storage at that temp.?

Thanks

Linda

We live in just down the road a piece in MT (Bozeman) and have camped in some quite cold weather. In fact just after our pickup back in Mar we were in TN where each night got down into the low and mid teens with nary a problem. Heat of the day barely reached freezing or above. We've since hit a few other nights out with close to those temps at night. If you have a heated storage shed @ 40º you should be fine without winterizing this assumes of course that the area does not loose power due to winter storms. It happens here so wouldn't think it would be all that unusual there. Its my understanding that water lines can take a couple of days of freezing temps before issues start to occur so there is a buffer of sorts. I don't have to tell you though if its windy and freezing temps all bets are off on how long the tanks and water lines will hold up.

Regardless its fairly easy with the Oliver system to winterize your camper. Takes about two gallons of the potable anti freeze, the pink stuff to complete the task and an hour or so of your time. Do be diligent about emptying all tanks and lines first, thats the most important part. Fully charged batteries should be good to about 90 below zero or so I'm told, but you might check on them throughout the winter months to be sure they are doing ok.

Hope this helps.

Legacy Elite II #70

We camped for a week recently when the temps were in the low teens and night and mid 30's during the day. Our Olie was really comfortable. There was no problem at all with the tanks or water system and we were as my wife said, "more comforable that at home!" We love the 4 season capability of Oliver.

• Moderators

Linda, at 40 or higher, you really don't need to do anything.

However, I lived in northwest Iowa, and southern Minnesota, most of my early life. If I were storing my trailer, even in a heated facility, I would winterize, just to be sure. It doesn't take that long to drain the lines and pump a little rv antifreeze through. Maybe 30 minutes in our Legacy Elite. We live in Florida, but leave our trailer in storage sometimes in North Carolina. If we are going to be gone after September, we winterize. (Obviously, in Florida, we don't bother...)

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.