2019 f250 stock halogen headlights are the worst ever!!!!!

taylor.coyote

I'm looking for significantly better lighting without major wiring modification or a major cost. The stock lights in our Nissan Rogue produce twice the light of the F250. Does anyone know this truck and have suggestions of some bulbs that actually produce light? 

Back in the 80's I was able to purchase 100 watt European high beam bulbs for my BMW. These were amazing lights but not legal. Driving with these bulbs required being very alert to managing high beams for on coming traffic.  Your thoughts will be appreciated. 

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

I’ve seen improvement switching to Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs in a number of different vehicles. Beyond a replacement style bulb swap, there isn’t much you can legally do to improve on the factory lighting. Make sure they’re adjusted properly for the max load you’re likely to carry and keep them clean and polished. Stay away from the aftermarket vanity bulbs, specifically anything blue.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

This company might be worth calling. I have not used them so I cannot endorse their products or customer service. 

https://www.headlightrevolution.com

I see you own a 6.7 power stroke. I do use this on line distributor for OEM filters and have been very happy with their prices and shipping. https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com   Just passing it forward. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

How are the lenses? Buffing out any haze or yellowing is the first step. Next comes bulbs like Silver Star, next comes aftermarket HID bulbs, after that, entirely new housings. How far do you want to go?

Adding extra low beams might work but you run into legal issues and might get ticketed.

I don’t know if this is the correct bulb for your truck. Be aware these have very short life spans and must be replaced in pairs.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-SilverStar-Performance-Replacement-Technology/dp/B008BE04C6

https://www.xenonhids.com/ford/2019/f-250-super-duty.html

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

For the F-150, here is a video for the process. Sort of a PITA.  Doing so on short life span bulbs would be a commitment. Certainly worth for some.

I think that the "Bambi Mod" worked well enough for our purposes.

GJ 

• Thanks 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

GJ.. thanks for the youtube.  I've at the sourcing a bulb stage and  had not considered that access to the bulbs would be such a headache. You gave me the link to the f150.  Below is the link to the 2019 f250.  It's unbelievable, you have to take apart the whole front-end of the truck.   I now know i have project to install the bulbs once i come up with suitable bulbs.  

Fieldbrook, Ca

How many clips and bolts must be removed to change a light bulb on a newer Ford F250?   More than 25!

How many Ford engineers does it take to make a simple light bulb change that difficult?  Only one.

Why am I  Toyota guy:  let me count the ways....

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

7 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

How many clips and bolts must be removed to change a light bulb on a newer Ford F250?   More than 25!

How many Ford engineers does it take to make a simple light bulb change that difficult?  Only one.

Why am I  Toyota guy:  let me count the ways....

My 1991 Toyota pickup requires removal of 4 screws for the parking lamps, 12 clips to remove the grill, and then 4 screws each to remove the headlight bulbs. The newer F250 may use a few more modern fasteners but the degree of difficulty doesn't look to be any worse. At least the job can be accomplished while standing up.

• Like 2

I stand corrected.  Only the yellow bulb (turn signal?) is easily replaceable by reaching under the hood on my 2019 Tundra. 

Replacing a headlight seems almost as involved as on the Ford F250.  Ouch.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

1 hour ago, SteveCr said:

Here's a link to the F250 that does not seem too bad

After changing bulbs in Chevy’s, Toyota, Lexus I made it a point to order ALL LED bulbs on my 2020 Ford - have not been disappointed but no matter what I do in terms of keeping the truck level (Air Bags in back, etc) my low beams seem to be too bright for many oncoming cars.  It is mainly the cars that are low to the ground, trucks don’t seem to mind.

I have to say they are the clearest, brightest lights I have ever had - including some off road lights. 

Good luck to all the bulb-changers out there. It is not a fun, or easy task.

Cheers,

BL

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

After changing bulbs in Chevy’s, Toyota, Lexus I made it a point to order ALL LED bulbs on my 2020 Ford - have not been disappointed but no matter what I do in terms of keeping the truck level (Air Bags in back, etc) my low beams seem to be too bright for many oncoming cars.  It is mainly the cars that are low to the ground, trucks don’t seem to mind.

I have to say they are the clearest, brightest lights I have ever had - including some off road lights. 

Cheers,

BL

Agreed BL, 

The OEM LED head lights on my 21 F350 are blindingly bright. In fact the brightest lights I have ever owned on any vehicle.
A total game changer and I highly recommend.

Patriot🇺🇸

6C36A750-7C57-4514-9501-C9AB3BE4CF29.thumb.png.56e748b4edc6a8883a8e072790a15fea.png

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Patriot said:

The OEM LED head lights on my 21 F350 are blindingly bright. In fact the brightest lights I have ever owned on any vehicle.
A total game changer and I highly recommend.

I agree - highly recommend…I will have to send you a picture of recent front end work on my F-250.  Have you heard about the collaboration between Warn and Ford to create the “kit” to install the 12k pound winch?

It looks incredible!

@PatriotAdding Link:  https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-1821-sd.html

BL

Edited by Brian and Brandelyne
Adding a link (URL)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

Cheers,

BL

By chance was your truck subject to the headlight recall?  I find I'm constantly flashing at SuperDuty trucks that seem to have their high beams on.  They are blinding and annoying to oncoming vehicles.

7 minutes ago, katanapilot said:

By chance was your truck subject to the headlight recall?

It has had several recalls but that wasn’t one of them. I have found it is less of an issue since I installed the Firestone airbags. I have a camper shell on the back and a Bedslide. Those two alone were enough to change the geometry on my truck and raise the front end slightly.  It got worse when I loaded down for travel and then hitched up.

I now inflate my airbags to give me the “Stock Height” from my tailgate to the ground. That seems to do the trick.

Another thing Ford owners do is change settings using a program called FORSCAN and invoke what is called “Bambi Mode”. On a stock Ford truck the fog lights will switch OFF when you turn on the high beams. Bambi mode allows the fog lights to stay on with high beams.

They are called fog lights even though they are white and LED so they are still quite bright but they have a dispersed pattern.

Brian

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

I agree - highly recommend…I will have to send you a picture of recent front end work on my F-250.  Have you heard about the collaboration between Warn and Ford to create the “kit” to install the 12k pound winch?

It looks incredible!

@PatriotAdding Link:  https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-1821-sd.html

BL

Brian,

Yes I am aware of the Warn winch, it’s a nice really well designed option. I have not added yet. 
And thank you for the link of the much cheaper price than most dealers offer.

And as an fyi Brian no OEM headlight recalls that I am aware of on my 2021. 😉 

Patriot🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Patriot said:

And thank you for the link of the much cheaper price than most dealers offer.

And as an fyi Brian no OEM headlight recalls that I am aware of on my 2021.

Patriot,

No worries and thanks for the clarification on the headlights. I have a list of all TSB’s and Recalls for my truck so I was aware.

- Tailgate, cameras, and some sort of heat shield under the truck. All taken care of.

As for the price, it is a GREAT price. Also, NO TAX when shipped out of state and I got a Black Friday special where the paid shipping!

I did it myself, there are two really good videos on you tube about the install. One is a Master Ford Technician and the other is linked at the bottom of Levittown Ford site.

They say it can be done in 3 hours but it took me close to 5 because I have to stop, read, think, re-read, think some more - gather tools etc. Between the instructions and the videos, your really cannot mess it up.  This is all providing you have the dual battery set up which I am sure you do on a 350.  The local dealer told me it would be between $600 and $800 to install because they had never done one.

BL

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, topgun2 said:

As I've said many times before - 

There isn't a "bad" 1/2 ton truck on the market these days.  

Bill

Especially a brandy new 2023 decked out F150! Congrats Bill on the new wheels!

I see your signature update! 👍🏻👍🏻

-Patriot🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 1/15/2023 at 7:53 AM, Patriot said:

This company might be worth calling. I have not used them so I cannot endorse their products or customer service. 

https://www.headlightrevolution.com

I see you own a 6.7 power stroke. I do use this on line distributor for OEM filters and have been very happy with their prices and shipping. https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com   Just passing it forward. 

I agree with the Headlight Revolution suggestion.  I have done considerable research relative to upgrading (legally) the headlights on my 2018 F250 and found the HR replacement assemblies to be the best deal out there.  It'll cost about $1K to replace both headlights when I do it, but it's one-and-done!   It's a PITA to replace bulbs in these trucks so you might as well replace the whole assembly vice going to bulb replacement only to find out at annual inspection time, they're illegal.  

• Thanks 2

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Hobo,  thank you for the links..  I have hardly blinked when it comes to spending money on the Oliver/truck but I'm having a tough time needing take apart the front end and  spend $1k+ to upgrade lights because the stock lights are just absolute garbage.  I could strap a couple of flashlights to my hood and have better lights. We love the truck but this one grinds me.  

Fieldbrook, Ca

@taylor.coyote

Hope all works out and you find a solution. There does not appear to be an available inexpensive fix for your headlight issue. 

Keep us posted on what you come up with! 
Good luck!

Patriot🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 1/27/2023 at 3:48 AM, taylor.coyote said:

Hobo,  thank you for the links..  I have hardly blinked when it comes to spending money on the Oliver/truck but I'm having a tough time needing take apart the front end and  spend $1k+ to upgrade lights because the stock lights are just absolute garbage.  I could strap a couple of flashlights to my hood and have better lights. We love the truck but this one grinds me.  

Yeah, I agree.  Just to change the headlight bulbs, you have to remove the grill, upper shroud and other stuff.  And that is for a single bulb!  I figure unless I want to live with the pathetic lights that are the truck, I might as well bite-the-bullet and replace the entire assembly since I'm already do labor.

The LED headlights are about an $1100 option when you purchase the trucks new which I thought was outrageous.  Not such a bad deal after looking what it takes to do an upgrade later.

• Sad 1

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Amazing how much smarter we are in hindsight ....  this said, if they would have told us the stock lights basically don't work, I would have likely gone for the upgrade.  

Fieldbrook, Ca

Not that it helps much, but I have been told the HeadlightRevolution  LED headlight assemblies are much better than the Ford LED lights.  So for less $, the HR lights are better than the factory upgraded lights.  You still have to deal with the labor part of the equation though.  The installation is not rocket science, just a few hours of disassembly and reassembly.  There are very goo video on how to do this.  One of the best is on the HR website.