How to Rent Out Your Travel Trailer for Extra Cash

JWalmsley

• Administrators

Share and Enjoy !

Shares

Do you own a travel trailer but don't have the time to use it as often as you'd like? Are you looking for a way to make some extra money? Renting out your travel trailer can be a great option! From setting up your rental listing to preparing and delivering your trailer, this guide will walk you through the process of renting out your travel trailer to eager campers. With a bit of preparation, you can make money while also sharing your passion for camping with others.

If you're financing your trailer, this is also a great way to help with the monthly payments. If you rent it out often enough, you could even pay it off early! 

You might be wondering how it all works – where can you list the trailer? What if something happens to it when it's being rented out? These are valid questions, and we have the answers. 

Read on to learn more about how to rent out your travel trailer! 

What You Need to Know Before Renting Out Your Travel Trailer

Insurance and Legal Considerations

Before you can rent out your travel trailer, you'll need to make sure it's adequately insured. Check with your insurance provider to determine what kind of coverage is necessary for a rental situation. You should also seek legal advice in order to understand any laws or regulations related to renting out trailers in your area.

This is arguably the most important step when it comes to renting out your trailer. If anything were to happen to it on an outing, insurance is key! Talk to your trailer insurance provider to see if there is anything you need to do before you start renting it out to people. 

You can also be as picky as you want when it comes to who you'll rent your trailer out to and how often you rent it out. If you want to limit it to family and friends, that's totally fine. On the other hand, if you want to rent it out to the public, that's great too. Your trailer, your rules! 

Decide on Rental Price and Requirements

Once you've taken the necessary steps to make sure your trailer is insured and legally compliant, it's time to decide on a rental price. Consider factors such as the size of your trailer, features, and its condition when setting a price. You should also consider peak seasons when you're setting your pricing. If you're not using your trailer during a holiday weekend and you want to earn some extra money, you can charge more for your trailer rental during those peak times. 

You should also determine what requirements you have for renters, such as age and experience level. Will you allow pets? How many people will be allowed to sleep in it at a time? These are important things to think about before you send your trailer on its first outing without you. 

Once you've set a price and established your requirements, it's time to create your rental listing. 

Setting Up Your Rental Listing

Copy-of-2022-LE2-10-1024x683.jpg

Setting up your rental listing is an important step in renting out your travel trailer. You'll want to include details such as the rental price, available dates, and any special requirements. You should also add photos of your trailer so potential renters can get an idea of what to expect. Once your listing is complete, it's time to start marketing it on travel trailer rental websites and social media platforms. 

You can advertise using Instagram, Facebook, and Tiktok. Additionally, you can list your trailer on websites like AirBNB and VRBO for an easy, seamless experience. Consider asking your renters to take photos on their adventures so you can use them as marketing materials. 

Preparing and Delivering Your Trailer

Before you can rent out your trailer, it's important to make sure it's clean and in good working order. Make sure all the lights are functioning, the brakes are working correctly, and there aren't any mechanical issues that could put renters at risk. You'll also want to change the sheets, wash the blankets, sanitize all the surfaces, and replace any staple items such as plastic cutlery, paper products, paper towels, soap, or other items that will make the experience better for your guests. 

Once you've done a thorough inspection and cleaned the trailer, it's time to prepare it for delivery. Make sure you have all the necessary items such as hoses, adapters, and extra towels. Then, when the renter arrives, take the time to walk them through how to use all the features of your trailer. Although it can feel redundant to explain it to every renter, it really is important if you want to keep your trailer in good condition. 

Tips for Making the Most of Your Rental

Renting out your travel trailer is a great way to make some extra money, but it's also important to be mindful of the experience you're providing. Here are some tips for making the most of your rental: 

• Offer added amenities such as camping chairs and cooking equipment. 

• Be flexible with rental dates and times - it can help you secure more rentals. 

• Make sure to thoroughly inspect your trailer before and after every rental. 

• Establish clear communication policies so renters know what to expect. 

• Offer discounts or promotions for returning renters. 

• Communicate clearly with your renters through every step.

• Include small toiletries, clean blankets, and staple items such as paper plates. 

Final Thoughts 

Renting out your travel trailer is a great way to make some extra money and share your love of the outdoors with others. With the right preparation, you can ensure that you're providing a safe and enjoyable experience for all of your renters. By taking care of the legal and insurance requirements, setting up a rental listing, and putting in a little extra effort to make your renters' experience great, you can ensure that your rental experience is a success. 

If you are looking to purchase a travel trailer in the near future, contact Oliver Travel Trailers today. We can help you find the best trailer for you and your family. 

Share and Enjoy !

Shares

The post How to Rent Out Your Travel Trailer for Extra Cash appeared first on Oliver Travel Trailers.

Read the Full Article

• Thanks 1

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules

• Moderators

Should anyone actually consider renting their beloved oliver (i know i wouldn't, ) I'd check out websites like outdoorsy or rvshare, that provide insurance for the owners.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

It is getting more and more popular, people rent before they commit to buying an RV or motorhome of their own.
 I’d never rent my Oliver but I do think it’s a good thing and terrific option for someone not sure if they want a motorhome or towable to rent first. 

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

I've rented my 1964 Corvair, and I have rental property. I even rented a spare bedroom in my house for a quick second on AirBnb, but I can't imagine ever renting my Ollie. It's way too personal. No way. But, before I bought my Ollie I did rent a Jayco, an Airstream, and a  Keystone Bullet, all on Outdoorsy. So it was good for me, but no way would I ever put my Ollie out there.

• Like 3

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

We have business properties and personal properties. Our Oliver is personal property will never be rented. If you need to rent your trailer, likely you can't afford it.  

• Like 1

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

I only know of one Ollie that was rent out.

There was a California lady who had a 2018 Elite II. Starting in 2019 she started renting it out. She ended up selling it in late 2020 because she could not rent it out much due to COVID.  She sold her Ollie on the  forum. With the new Oliver sale section on the forum you can not go back into past sales (which is unfortunate).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

We rented a couple of trailers on-site at campgrounds before buying our first trailer. It was very helpful. However, we would never rent out our Ollie (or previous rigs). Too many clueless people out there and RVs are just too easy to damage. 

• Like 4

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• 1 year later...

I would be interested in renting a LE2, to see if purchasing one makes sense for me. I have owned a Jayco TT in the past (15 years ago) and I understand the hesitation on the owners part. But a rental from the factory seems like it might a great selling tool. “Try before you buy.” Oliver if you’re willing to do that, please contact me.

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Yerfdog said:

But a rental from the factory seems like it might a great selling tool.

I know that there have been "on and off" discussions at the Factory about having Olivers available for rent in situations such as you are describing.  However, to my knowledge, Oliver has never followed through on this idea.  Probably the fact that they are/were selling (fairly quickly) all of the units that they could produce.  Having said this - now just might be a great time for you (or anyone else in a similar position) to suggest this to the folks at Oliver.  Ya never know!

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Well, surprise, surprise. Here's one for rent on outdoorsy, in California. (He also rents out an Airstream. )

https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/woodland-hills_ca/2023_oliver_legacy-elite-ii_357251-listing

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.