Condensation in Overhead Light

Stranded

This problem only started near the beginning of 2022, and a year later, I still can't figure it out. I get condensation build up inside of the driver's rear light fixture; right above my head when I sleep.

EC157050-FBFA-4301-BE8F-30FC890D2333.thumb.jpeg.1c6b615766537236526f8ea3afba0914.jpeg

You can see the rust spots inside of the light. The glass dish/cover will fill with water/condensation and then drip out.

At first I thought it was because that's right where my head was breathing towards; however, I haven't slept in my trailer in a few months, but everytime I hang out in it, I get the same condensation in the same light fixture.

I put a plastic container of Arm & Hammer Moisture Absorber, but after a couple of weeks, it's dry. I altered the placement of the moisture absorber to different locations, but all condensation still goes to the same light fixture. 

7352B2BA-47A8-4BD1-8A38-81C0D5D50CA5.thumb.jpeg.99e1c9230c0dfe684886b31d631b1f74.jpeg

I know it's not a leak because it occurs in dry weather and rainy, and because I inspected the cabinet with the wires that feeds the electricity to that light fixture. The channel the wires run through in the fiberglass is bone dry. I put multiple q-tips in there but don't show any moisture indicative of a leak coming from anywhere else, or condensation following a path to that location.

EDE52F7E-83C7-4A0C-A1C5-F37E03BDAD89.thumb.jpeg.f87429d2386c705b5df3eef43fba41cb.jpeg

In short, I'm stumped why condensation is only attracted to that particular light fixture.

Edited by mossemi
Rotate Pics

2017 Elite 1

Hull 220

1997 Dodge 2500

The picture seems to indicate this fixture is below the overhead cabinets.   IF so, when the cabinet doors are closed, that area can become quite cool when the hull is cold.

That could cause cold to chill the light and get it cooler than the inside of Ollie.  And that could cause condensation in the fixture.  

If I am imagining their location properly, can you open up the cabinets to let them warm up and see if it stops. 

Our cabinets got REAL wet inside during a 99% humidity time in cool weather in N.C. during the summer.  Opened the glass cabinet doors, problem went away.

• Like 5

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

It's probably easier for us to open the cabinets, as we have the old school sliders, but opening the cabinet doors does eliminate a lot of condensation, as @Geronimo John suggested. 

It's definitely worth a try.

Could also be the low collection point of a tiny leak. Stuff a paper towel,  preferably a blue shop towel, under the third tail light up on the attic, if opening the cabinet doors doesn't improve the situation. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to give an update sooner, but life got crazy like usual. 

Leaving the cabinets open seemed to stop condensation inside the light fixture; however, it should be noted that was without anyone sleeping inside the trailer. 

We also had some rain recently, and I did not observe any leaks either. To confirm there were no leaks, I left out paper towels and I also removed the rear driver's side speaker.

This allowed me to access the area between the attic and my troublesome storage area; no moisture detected. I'm therefore pretty confident there are no leaks, at least from the rear Oliver light.

I won't get a chance to camp in the trailer until the end of February, so till then I won't know of my condensation problem is completely resolved, but till then, it's looking promising!

Thanks everyone for your help! I'll update again after we go camping next month.

oliver test (2).jpg

Edited by topgun2
corrected photo
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2017 Elite 1

Hull 220

1997 Dodge 2500

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Stranded said:

And for some reason, my pictures are still getting turned 90 degrees to the right.... oh well.

Better?

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Stranded said:

Much better, thanks! Any way you can fix the pictures in the first post as well? 

Probably - how much money and time ya got?😁

Seriously - Hopefully later today I'll get a chance to work on it for you.  The process is actually fairly simple - just import a picture into an editor, rotate it, save it and repost it.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Stranded:

Has it been humid where your Ollie is located?

If so and your Ollie is plugged into shore power, you might consider installing a small dehumidifier inside.

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

On 1/31/2023 at 5:56 AM, dewdev said:

Stranded:

Has it been humid where your Ollie is located?

If so and your Ollie is plugged into shore power, you might consider installing a small dehumidifier inside.

No, it's generally not humid where I live, I'm next to the Antelope Valley.  Also, I don't plug my trailer into shore power.  However, when I start camping again in late February and March, I'll probably get a small dehumidifier for when there is electrical at a campsite. That being said, I usually camp where there is no services. 

2017 Elite 1

Hull 220

1997 Dodge 2500