Zerk Caps

Those who do their own maintenance may wish to simplify periodic greasing of the suspension by installing zerk caps.  The caps keep road grime from coating the grease zerks, so you don't have to wipe them off each time you grease them.  The zerk caps on my tractor have saved a bunch of time, so I installed them on my Elite II suspension as well.

1209298730_FrontZerkCaps.thumb.jpg.3d86d6fd71d71c69e12c7a8a397a51fa.jpg

1609639448_RearZerkCaps.thumb.jpg.4af142dcaaec7d8c88087fe751251f6c.jpgYou must remove the wheels to install the caps, so they are most easily installed when already doing regular maintenance. 

Zerk caps are available for $11 from Amazon, or from the manufacturer, LockN Lube.  Amazon link below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779K66DW/ref=dp_iou_view_item?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

I love the nice and tidy look. It's nice to know about the option. For me, functionally I don't feel enough is gained to invested the time. I have several other project such as mud flaps and waxing the beast yet to get done.  Maybe it's something to do next time I rotate the tires or grease the suspension. 

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

• Moderators

I put mine on almost seven years ago.

I really didn't think that given the "cheapness" of the plastic they would last very long - so - I bought a full set of extras.  

Fortunately, I've not had to use a single one of those extras - yet.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Like @Frank C we also changed our zerk fittings. Adding the zerk caps seems to make greasing a much easier task to .
Thanks @topgun2 for the suggestion at the time on the caps. 

-Patriot 🇺🇸

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

I didn’t have to remove wheels to put them on or to lube.

You must have much better manual dexterity and body flexibility than I do!  I can't get a grease gun, even with a Lock N Lube fitting on the end of a flexible hose, on to the two zerks inside the central bracket that holds the EZ flex assembly, without removing my wheels.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rivernerd said:

You must have much better manual dexterity and body flexibility than I do!  I can't get a grease gun, even with a Lock N Lube fitting on the end of a flexible hose, on to the two zerks inside the central bracket that holds the EZ flex assembly, without removing my wheels.

It’s not as easy as it used to be, but I can still do it!

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

It’s not as easy as it used to be, but I can still do it!

It's tough getting older.  My replacement knees and thinner butt makes suspension maintenance a lot less fun than it used to be. 

But having a nice bucket and one of these really helps it to be a lot less of a PITA!  Seriously.  🙂

image.png.40f789b98d4de6df77323c8350e31f49.png

I store my boat throw cushion as a pad to my Honda EU2200. The generator is lashed down in the curbside rear corner of the truck bed.  The cushion sets vertically between the side of the generator and the side of the truck bed.  Best part is I can remember where I put it!  

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

But having a nice bucket and one of these really helps it to be a lot less of a PITA!  Seriously.  🙂

image.png.40f789b98d4de6df77323c8350e31f49.png

I store my boat throw cushion as a pad to my Honda EU2200. The generator is lashed down in the curbside rear corner of the truck bed.  The cushion sets vertically between the side of the generator and the side of the truck bed.  Best part is I can remember where I put it!  

Great use for an old boat cushion. It doesn't have to float on pavement,or atop a bucket,  just give our old bones a bit of cushion.

We also have knee pads, and some old carpet scraps, for work at home. Everything helps!

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

All of my zerks are oriented to the inside of the frame.  So I use a creeper and the only trouble spot for me is getting my belly under the axles.🤔

Mossey

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Seems like a worthwhile addition. What size angled Zerk fitting do I need and can the caps be purchased in smaller quantities?  Looks like Amazon has only a 50 count of the yellow ones.  I have the Elite I and as far as I can tell, I only need 6 caps. 
Thanks

2021 Legacy Elite I , Hull #765

2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3.0 Diesel 

Navarre, Fl

14 hours ago, C&MCurrie said:

Seems like a worthwhile addition. What size angled Zerk fitting do I need

Our Oliver had 1/4-28 thread size Zerk grease fittings but this may not be the same for all Olivers.  I think some owners have found that their Dexter suspension assemblies have a 6mm-1 metric size Zerk.  Best to remove one of your existing Zerk fittings to confirm the thread size. 

13A657BB-F3E1-42DF-BD6E-342B0A9708B8.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Anyone tried this grease gun?  Looks promising....

2141852382_Screenshot2023-04-13at06_16_37.thumb.png.903b8963e6ac75874a93c1d57daff037.png

• Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

1 hour ago, MAX Burner said:

Anyone tried this grease gun?  Looks promising....

Yep, it is worth twice that, you can buy the fitting direct too, ships free.

IMG_1376.thumb.png.4a77a876fbd3a75684b25418b2a4926f.png

https://locknlube.com/products/locknlube-grease-coupler?variant=32586284204116

I have used one for years, I have been reluctant to recommend an attachment that costs more than most grease guns. But OTH I also use an expensive pneumatic gun. Just buy it and enjoy it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

Yep, it is worth twice that, you can buy the fitting direct too, ships free.

IMG_1376.thumb.png.4a77a876fbd3a75684b25418b2a4926f.png

https://locknlube.com/products/locknlube-grease-coupler?variant=32586284204116

I have used one for years, I have been reluctant to recommend an attachment that costs more than most grease guns. But OTH I also use an expensive pneumatic gun. Just buy it and enjoy it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks for the vector, John.  Getting one today....

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

2 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Anyone tried this grease gun?

We have one also. Works great! Definitely worth the money. 

Kirk

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305