Paper maps..latest craze

Mainiac

• Moderator+
9 hours ago, Steve and Deb said:

We still have a land line, answering machine, film camera, mechanical typewriter, car with a carburetor and manual shift, and probably some 8-track tapes stuck in a box somewhere. 🤪

But, do you still have an 8-Track recorder? If not, and you have a nostalgic itch for one, I can make you a hell of a deal. I’m also willing to let my Sony Betamax go and I’ll even throw in the stack loader that went with it. Oh, and brand new IBM Selectric. 

• Haha 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

13 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

But, do you still have an 8-Track recorder? If not, and you have a nostalgic itch for one, I can make you a hell of a deal. I’m also willing to let my Sony Betamax go and I’ll even throw in the stack loader that went with it. Oh, and brand new IBM Selectric. 

Ha! You already offered the Betamax player back when I mentioned that our wedding was videotaped on that format.Still don't want it. 😉

I had a Craig combination AM/FM/ 8-track recorder back in high school and college. I made a few bucks converting records into tapes for friends. That's also when I discovered I could take one of the housings apart, make a loop just the right length, and make it play backwards for a few seconds. A bunch of us spent way too much time perfecting saying our name backwards so that when the loop was flipped, it sounded correct forward. 🙃

Electric typewriters are for girls... ::ducksandrunsforcover::

• Haha 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

I use the one like Frank C has near the top of this thread. When traveling we usually allow plenty of time and dont mind taking the wrong turn somewhere. After all we are exploring this great country so many times it isnt really a wrong turn so much as going a different way...lol

• Like 2

Vincent, Ohio | 2022 Elite ll, Hull #1182, 2014 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Towing PKG

ALKYMSOHTNWVsm.jpg

• Moderator+

While traveling in West Virginia our GPS showed us a neat shortcut between two parallel roads. Cool. I should have known to turn around when we came to a power line hanging so low across the road that I had to lift it up with a telescoping fiberglass pole to get past it…

Carry a paper map and use your common sense. 

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

We were camped near Asheville and were meeting @topgun2and his wife for lunch in Brevard.  We checked the GPS which showed that the shortest route was also the most scenic, mountains and back roads.  BIG MISTAKE!  Besides being way late for lunch we had some very frustrating moments when small back roads didn’t match GPS and cell coverage was lost.  Out came the paper atlas.  Lesson learned!  Mike

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

While I love GPS for travel day I always pull out the Atlas to plan routes I’ve never been on before.  I like to see route on the map and know my options.   Funny to hear actual maps are a thing again.  

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

• 3 months later...
On 1/23/2023 at 4:59 PM, SeaDawg said:

Do you seriously have a true landline? We've had voip for decades, which is what the cable vendors bundle here.  I don't even know if a true wired landlines is still available here.  

We call the "landline" the solicitor line. We give out that # when someone requires a phone #. Everyone else calls our cells. 

Kind of miss those landline days, but I don't miss "dialup " speed.

And yes, we carry atlases and paper maps, as well as two phones and a GPS. 

You just made me think of our old party lines in rural Oklahoma.  Those are definitely not missed. 😀

• Haha 1

On a recent trip out west we were pulling our Ollie through Las Vegas during rush hour. Google maps' algorithm calculated it could save us 8 milliseconds (😉) so it routed off the highway only to tell us to get right back on using the same exit's on-ramp 😠. I have also had Google Maps direct me down roads not maintained but the county in the middle of winter in northern Michigan 😟. Trust but verify. I always do a paper map or atlas reality check on these routes.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2022 Oliver Elite II Hull#1047 "Saunter"

2014 VW Touareg TDI

ALAZILINKSMIMONVNMNCOHSCTNTXVAsm.jpg

• Moderators
16 hours ago, GrumpyChoi said:

You just made me think of our old party lines in rural Oklahoma.  Those are definitely not missed. 😀

When I was a little kid, in farm country Minnesota, the party line was probably as entertaining as the one or two channels we got on TV, for some folks. My mom was adamant about counting the ring pattern, so that we respected privacy. Not so, with everyone....

I know my mom and dad would sometimes drive into town to use a pay phone to have a truly private conversation.  (Pay phone = yet another relic.)

• Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

When I was a little kid, in farm country Minnesota, the party line was probably as entertaining as the one or two channels we got on TV, for some folks. My mom was adamant about counting the ring pattern, so that we respected privacy. Not so, with everyone....

I know my mom and dad would sometimes drive into town to use a pay phone to have a truly private conversation.  (Pay phone = yet another relic.)

Ironically, old southwestern bell before att breakup was the phone company with party lines. Our local phone company tat only served a small portion of Oklahoma did not have them. We also only dialed five numbers. 😀

• Like 1

• Moderators

Oh, I so remember dialing only 5 digits. 

Great, wasn't it?

Now, with cell phones, I don't even remember anyone's number. Just hit contacts, search, and go. (Always funny when some prompt says "dial." Haven't had a dial in how many decades?)

Kind of like when I write to my cousins in a very small village in Norway. No street address. Just a name. Town. Post code for the town.

It gets there. 

• Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 1/25/2023 at 3:19 PM, Mike and Carol said:

I want wing windows back.

I'd actually really like those to make a comeback. Great in rainy weather...

I know they're not so aerodynamic, but I love the smell of  rain, just don't enjoy getting wet with the window partway down.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4