Dual-pane windows or Single-pane pros/cons...here we go

Zodd

I have been reading on this topic for a little while and it seems to be a bit of religious argument. However, there are a lot of long-time knowledgeable campers across different rigs here, so I wanted to ask for thoughts on this topic. Again, I know it is a bit of a religious argument so not looking for any clear winner here just thoughts on what you all have seen. 

So, background and starting points.

Double Pane RV Windows: Worth It or a Waste Of Money?

Essentially the argument is about pros and cons around the cost and weight they add to the rig versus the noise and insolation factor (plus reduced condensation) they bring. For TT they are more susceptible to vibration and because of that the seal breaking and then they become foggy. Have any long time Olver Owners seen this and had to replace foggy windows? Of course, the better suspension (and other travel type factors) on the TT the lower the risk but it seems more a question of when not if. 

For any type of cold shoulder or winter (4 season) camping a single-pane window seems silly to have the draft from the windows plus all the condensation build up. But having to replace windows every chuck (who knows the duration of the chunk) of years also seems like a major pain for those of us that don't upgrade RVs every 3-5 years. 

Thanks for your insights! 

• Moderators

We've had a few double pane windows fog. We did not replace them. We took our trailer to Suncoast Designs in Hudson, and they pulled the offending windows, resealed, and reinstalled.  Much more economical than window replacement.  (I checked.) There are companies that do similar work around the country.

Mind you, my trailer is 15 years old next month. Fogging occurred on the sunny side windows a couple years ago, at over 100k of travel. 

I do think the double/thermal pane windows make a difference.  I have triple glass at sticks and bricks  home, in Florida.  

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I like the double pane windows for insulation and noise reduction.   I have had to replace one window due to fogging so far after 4 years of ownership.  It was the small bathroom window.  A fairly straightforward DIY replacement if you’re handy with tools/home remodeling projects.   

1DF8D523-CEFA-4D15-8E8D-220100CBE457.jpeg

442DBA11-C03B-4735-8C7B-087D931D3D99.jpeg

• Like 6

I've noticed several owners mentioning the bathroom window fogging up. I also noticed that, on our delivery walkthrough, the OTT rep demonstrated closing that window by just releasing the catches and letting it drop into place. Wondering if people are doing that in their trailers? We always lower the window into place gently after releasing the catches.

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

I've noticed several owners mentioning the bathroom window fogging up. I also noticed that, on our delivery walkthrough, the OTT rep demonstrated closing that window by just releasing the catches and letting it drop into place. Wondering if people are doing that in their trailers? We always lower the window into place gently after releasing the catches.

I don't know if the double pane small  window these days is the same as our bath double pane, but I wish I had stuck with our original single pane, which had a complete frame, top and bottom. 

We had the double pane installed some years back. The moveable pane has no frame but the top, which is mostly silicon adhered. It separated from the top bars last summer. I forced it back into position.

No fogging issues.  It's just a tiny window. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

No, we do not let the bathroom window just drop.  We slide all the windows “normally” and don’t slam the door.  Things last longer when treated with care.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Frank C said:

I like the double pane windows for insulation and noise reduction.   I have had to replace one window due to fogging so far after 4 years of ownership.  It was the small bathroom window.  A fairly straightforward DIY replacement if you’re handy with tools/home remodeling projects.   

Did you get the replacement glass from Oliver?  And I must add "excellent caulking job" on the outer frame!  Which caulk did you use?

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

44 minutes ago, mossemi said:

Did you get the replacement glass from Oliver?  And I must add "excellent caulking job" on the outer frame!  Which caulk did you use?

Mossey

I did get the entire replacement window from Oliver.  I used DICOR butyl foam core round profile gasket seal tape (link below) between the outer window frame and hull to bed the window, and this caulk to finish it.  Available at Lowe’s.  Exterior caulk, UV resistant and recommended for multi-surfaces including fiberglass and aluminum.  It’s held up very well so far.  I used painters masking tape to mask the frame and the hull to get a clean straight bead.  I smoothed the bead with a finger while wearing a disposable glove.

https://dicorproducts.com/product/seal-tite-butyl-foamcore-roll/

47A140E5-9E39-4390-8FBB-F4312AE7DB3D.jpeg

C3CAE33E-0BD3-4CF6-85C0-8218809F1E11.png

• Like 3