Propane Tank "Wing Nut" Mod

I was reading John Davies post for improving the propane tank hoses and it reminded me of a mod I made several years ago.

My shorter OEM Propane tanks leaves a lot of excess all-thread to spin up and down at every tank service.  I thought about cutting the all-thread shorter, but discarded the idea as the next owner down the road may be a cold weather camper and want the taller tanks.

My solution was to grab out of my garage a pair of washers and some tubing that would fit over the all-thread.  I cut the tubing to leave about an inch of all-thread showing.  One washer on each side of the tubing and I only have to spin off the wing nut about an inch.  Saves time and knuckle damage.  Cost:  $0.00   

GJ

image.png.bf6c15994dd2c21af9052056958bd45d.png

Edited by Geronimo John
Picture cut and pasted from John Davies hose mod thread.
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 9

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I opted to go a different route and use the wing nut as a lock. I used a drill bit and an old firearms cable lock to at least try and secure the tanks. I could have used a padlock I suppose. This cable lock has molded plastic around the lock and won’t rattle or bang on the tanks under tow. Can it be defeated? Yes as most locks can be. It may slow a thief down. When I switched over to 30# tanks I installed a shorter threaded rod readily available at Lowe’s or HD. 

Patriot🇺🇸

DF770477-C6E9-4B8F-8FE0-1F0E5A991137.thumb.jpeg.7dbd518602e13346a4544713507face0.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

I opted to go a different route and use the wing nut as a lock. I used a drill bit and an old firearms cable lock to at least try and secure the tanks. I could have used a padlock I suppose. This cable lock has molded plastic around the lock and won’t rattle or bang on the tanks under tow. Can it be defeated? Yes as most locks can be. It may slow a thief down. When I switched over to 30# tanks I installed a shorter threaded rod readily available at Lowe’s or HD. 

Patriot🇺🇸

DF770477-C6E9-4B8F-8FE0-1F0E5A991137.thumb.jpeg.7dbd518602e13346a4544713507face0.jpeg

These are all great little fixes that I'm sure I'll utilize once Ollie-Haus arrives. I'm OCD about fixing the little things that can be improved for everyday use. BTW I recognized that Springfield Armory pistol lock you used on your tanks immediately!😆 I own more than one version of the XDm line they offer and each comes with the same lock. You've discovered a better use for it. 😉

• Like 5

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

1 hour ago, Mainiac said:

Did you have 40 lb tanks? Or did you need a 'longer' rod because you had 20 lb tanks?

@MainiacI actually switched over from 20# to 30# which are a bit taller and just got the right size threaded rod. 

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

53 minutes ago, dewdev said:

Are there 40 gallon tanks available?

Will they fit in an Elite II?

@dewdev, I honestly don’t know of 40# are available or if they will fit. I bumped up to 30# tanks since I recently converted my Honda gen over to LP.

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Ollie-Haus said:

These are all great little fixes that I'm sure I'll utilize once Ollie-Haus arrives. I'm OCD about fixing the little things that can be improved for everyday use. BTW I recognized that Springfield Armory pistol lock you used on your tanks immediately!😆 I own more than one version of the XDm line they offer and each comes with the same lock. You've discovered a better use for it. 😉

That’s all a part of making your Ollie yours! 👍🏻👍🏻😊

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

5 hours ago, dewdev said:

Are there 40 gallon tanks available?

Will they fit in an Elite II?

dewdev, a great question. I looked up the 40# specs and found this one at HD. 
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-King-40-lbs-Empty-Propane-Cylinder-with-Overfill-Protection-Device-Valve-YSN401/301699250?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D28I-028_022_GRILLS-NA-MULTI-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-SMART_SHP&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D28I-028_022_GRILLS-NA-MULTI-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-SMART_SHP-71700000090520815-58700007648833922-92700069174188843&gclid=CjwKCAiArNOeBhAHEiwAze_nKE7thvm6-nQqzY5KP5vU_5dhlDWToHMxiA-90qxxIUQAdbWZO8m_AxoCkrMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The 30# LP  specs -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-King-30-lbs-Empty-Propane-Cylinder-with-Overfill-Protection-Device-Valve-YSN301/302560758

So a 7” height difference from a 30# to a 40#.  The circumference is just smidge larger on the 30# vs the 40#. 

I stepped out back and took a photo of my current 30# tank height of 23” in comparison to a 40# measuring 30” tall. (pic) It looks like a 40# might fit, but without actual trying to fit  one I can’t say for certain. It looks pretty close.

EFC91C32-73AA-4804-B03E-30C35CB2561B.jpeg

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

9 hours ago, Patriot said:

I opted to go a different route and use the wing nut as a lock

Our approaches tackle different topics. 

• Mine saves time and knuckle damage.  I do note that your all-thread rod is MUCH shorter than the one that came on my 2018 OE2.  With your shorter all-thread this mod may not be necessary.  But it still raise the wing nut up away from the tank shrouds a bit.
  • Yours mod would for sure improve security and is also really easy to do.  With your fire arms lock, you have spare cable to raise your wing nut up as well as improving security too.   

I like it! 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

On 1/28/2023 at 11:58 AM, Patriot said:

It looks like a 40# might fit, but without actual trying to fit  one I can’t say for certain. It looks pretty close.

Even if a 40# tank would fit inside the "doghouse," could you lift it into place, up and over the housing?  Even only 80% full (which is the legal max), it weighs 72 lbs.

I am not even comfortable lifting 30# propane tanks into that enclosure.  That is why we opted for the standard 20# tanks in our Elite II, but carry two spare 20# propane tanks in the bed of our Tundra tow vehicle.

On a related note, weight is also the reason we have two 2200 watt dual fuel Champion generators (with a Paralink kit ) rather than one 3500 watt unit.  Our Truma Aventa air conditioner requires at least 3000 watts of capacity to run (since Truma will not allow installation of a Micro Air Easy Start in its units).  The 2200 watt units weigh less than 40 lbs. each.  The 3500 watt beast weighs 96 lbs.  I can lift each 2200 watt unit into and out of the bed of our Tundra without significant risk to my back.  Not so with a 96-pounder!

• Like 6

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

2 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Our approaches tackle different topics. 

• Mine saves time and knuckle damage.  I do note that your all-thread rod is MUCH shorter than the one that came on my 2018 OE2.  With your shorter all-thread this mod may not be necessary.  But it still raise the wing nut up away from the tank shrouds a bit.
  • Yours mod would for sure improve security and is also really easy to do.  With your fire arms lock, you have spare cable to raise your wing nut up as well as improving security too.   

I like it! 

Thanks! 
As a side note I have no intention of ever bumping up to 40# LP tanks. 30 pounders are plenty for our needs. I was curious to just measure and see if 40# would fit to help answer dewdev’s question. 
I’ll take a pass on be bending the wing nut up as it really has not posed any concerns for me when removing it. Once it’s loose it just about  spins off. 

Onward!
Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 4
  • Love 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 1/28/2023 at 7:42 AM, Patriot said:

Patriot🇺🇸

Patriot:

You firearms cable lock is a great way to secure the tanks. Is security of the propane tanks really necessary? Has anyone had their tank(s) stolen?

If so, I will be looking to secure my tanks as well.

Thanks

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, dewdev said:

Has anyone had their tank(s) stolen?

I've never heard of an Oliver owner having their propane tanks stolen.

However, I have heard of other brands of RV's having theirs disappear.

Perhaps with the Oliver the fact that the tanks are basically out of sight?  In any case, for such a simple mod, I prefer not to take the chance.

Bill

• Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

11 minutes ago, dewdev said:

Patriot:

You firearms cable lock is a great way to secure the tanks. Is security of the propane tanks really necessary? Has anyone had their tank(s) stolen?

If so, I will be looking to secure my tanks as well.

Thanks

dewdev, 

Along with @topgun2 I have not heard of any Oliver owners having their tanks stolen. And hope it remains that way. 
This mod along with the fact that my 30# tanks are not as common as the 20# tanks may possibly serve as a real deterrent or may not.
I also write my hull# on the tanks as I don’t swap them out I just get them refilled.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 4

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

We've not ever locked ours, but if we had a spare lock, might. 15 years in, no issues yet.

Tanks are a target for meth cookers. If you Google rv tanks stolen. Probably depends on where you camp. Most tanks seem to be stolen from tank swap sites, not rvs . But, it does apparently happen, on occasion.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 1/28/2023 at 2:19 PM, Patriot said:

I’ll take a pass on be bending the wing nut up

I as well.  Being in Honolulu and Ollie on the mainland, I could not grab a picture of my mod, but wanted readers to "see" the topic.  So I borrowed John D's picture.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2023 at 7:07 AM, Ollie-Haus said:

That's most definitely a better use for the XD cable lock than it's originally designed purpose!

On 3/6/2023 at 9:50 AM, topgun2 said:

Glad that things went well.

You might want to contact Oliver to let them know that you (or Magnus) are the new owner so that you will be notified in the unlikely event of a recall or service notice.

Enjoy the heck out of it!

Bill

On 1/28/2023 at 7:07 AM, Ollie-Haus said:

That's most definitely a better use for that XD cable lock!

• Haha 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

image.thumb.jpeg.9f65f3625d7852fb94e624ab4e826fcf.jpeg

FYI, I had 2 polished Worthington LPG tanks on my AS for over 15 years, secured by double-nutting the aluminum wing nut.  Never lost one...  The cable locked wing nut inside the Oliver Doghouse gives piece of mind, for sure!  Most non-Oliver folks probably don't even know what's inside the Doghouse, anyway...

• Like 5

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Well, Patriot - I totally copied your great idea for the LPG tank crossbar wing nut & Springfield XD slide-lock mod...  "Tanks" a lot, brother!

IMG_6843.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

Well, Patriot - I totally copied your great idea for the LPG tank crossbar wing nut & Springfield XD slide-lock mod...  "Tanks" a lot, brother!

IMG_6843.jpeg

Now y'all have started something. I've got three of those locks so this may be my first mod to the camper once it arrives. 😉

• Like 2

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

Well, OH - It's borderline in the "Overkill" category - but what the heck will we use those locks for anyway, right?  HA!

• Haha 3

spacer.png

2 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

IMG_6843.jpeg

Haha! Looks great! And a fine use of the XD cable lock. 

Tank you! Just passing it forward! 😅

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ollie-Haus said:

Now y'all have started something. I've got three of those locks so this may be my first mod to the camper once it arrives. 😉

Chris, 

I know you will be all over this mod with along with a list of many others after you take delivery.
Speaking of delivery day yours is fast approaching! I know you both have to be excited.
That’s awesome!

David

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg