Excessive grease on jack stands?

• Moderators

The first thing that I would do is give that jack a good cleaning.  After that apply a very light coat of white grease and then keep an eye on it.

Bill

p.s.  mine have never looked like that.

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

That does not seem normal at all. If nothing else you could give OTT Service a call in the morning and ask if it’s normal or what the cause could be? Maybe email Jason or Mike a photo, just a thought. Please let us know what you learn and hopefully it’s a minor repair. And thank you for the reminder, I need to get busy and do maintenance on mine. 😊

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I will clean the stands and inspect the gears.  I've watched that inspection video a couple time before, but never actually checked the gears myself, (BAD BOY).  I'll let you all know what I find.  They've been like that since I purchased the used 2016 TT, nearly two years ago.  

• Like 2

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

Hey, fun times. Look what I THOUGHT I needed to cut out to fully inspect the rear, left jack gears?  I can tell the gears are a bit dry especially under the gear lid, which I thought at first I could not remove. Update: Thanks to John Davies' advice, I simply loosened the three 5/32 Allen nuts and was able to completely remove the gear box from the jack stand.  There was no need to cut the fiber glass to allow the gear box lid to be removed.  But still, the fiberglass opening could have been a half inch to the right.  I'm sure Oliver has fixed that after all these years. 

Also, I did what Jason did and simply tapped all the corners near the bolts and the lids came right off, even after all these years.

What do newer EL II openings around the water pump look like these days? Is there more space to remove the gear box?

PXL_20230129_145143386.jpg

PXL_20230129_145132548.jpg

PXL_20230129_145448411.jpg

PXL_20230129_145247835.jpg

Edited by Wayfinder
Update and more details.

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

The gearbox housing spins on the round shaft when you loosen the three Allen socket screws. You should not need to do any grinding, tho a couple of owners have done that. Read through this thread and the linked thread for the rear jacks. Be sure to check all the big bolts for security, they do loosen. Check that all three Allen screws are there!

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/4094-how-to-vip-3000-electric-stabilizer-jack-service/

Part of “correct” servicing is removing the old caked grease - that is the wax carrier and most of the actual lubricating oil has gone away… . The stuff on your outside shafts should be flushed out with a good solvent like brake cleaner. Grease plus silica grit equals valve grinding compound…. That destroys the chrome plating. I leave mine bone dry.

Have fun. Look through my How To videos if you have not already.

John Davies

Spokane WA 

B0038AE8-B0CC-4340-B64C-3556FC89476E.jpeg

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The front jack has been replaced by the previous owner with a Husky Super Brute 4000 Premium Electric Tongue Jack and needs very little maintenance.  There's always a leather-like cover on it, so it looks perfect, even to this day.  I'll do it's tiny bit of maintenance when it's warmer out.  It won't take long.

HSB4000 maintenance from the user manualDue to the design of the Husky® Super Brute’s low-friction ball screw, the inner assembly of the jack does not require regular lubrication. But to keep your jack in good, functional condition, fully extend the jack and clean the inner jack tube once per year. After cleaning, coat the tube with a light grease or silicone spray lubricant.

That's the entire maintenance plan.  I like it so far.  LOL

• Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

6 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

Hey, fun times. Look what I'll need to cut out to fully inspect the rear, left jack gears?  I can tell the gears are a bit dry especially under the lid or cap, which I cannot fully remove. Is it Dremel time, with vacuum?

No Dremel!  I suspect your curb (passenger) side lid is just stuck on the square drive nut.  I encountered the same issue on my new 2022 Hull #1291.  I was able to work the top off with plastic pry bars intended for auto trim removal.  See photo below.

Plastic Trim Tools on Top of Jack Casing.jpg

Don't use a steel pry bar, or you risk damage to the mating surfaces.  Since you can rotate the lid, you could also try tapping upward on the edges of the lid with a rubber hammer alternately on both sides to get it fully off of the square drive nut.

6 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

The drivers side came right off without a problem. 

Time new grease?  

Yes!  In your case, since the grease around your gears looks really old and stiff, I recommend you follow John Davies' advice in his linked post above and completely clean out all of the original grease, then fill the lower cup, including the entire area around the gears, with Redline CV2 grease.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg