New TPMS installed and Now Two Stuck Leaking Valve Stems

I just installed the TireMinder i10 on my 2022 Oliver which was straightforward enough; however now two of four tires have leaking (stuck) stem valves!

I managed to screw all the transmitters on so the leaks are stopped and the tire pressure is at the planned 55 psi.

Questions:

Is this a common problem/result of installing this product? 

I assume I need to install (learn how to) some new valve stems and not some how fix?

Any recommendations on brand or model for new stems?

Install method advise?

I have Cooper Tires "Discover HT3" tires as equipped by the factory.

Thanks for any advise.

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

I take my TPMS devices off in the winter.

When I install them in the spring there is a minute small air lose when they are seating on the valve stem.

Are you sure you have a leak. Did you unscrew them to see if the air loose continues?

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

Yup we had the same problem it is caused by the balancing beads in the tires. The tire minder causes the valve stem to remain open and the balancing beads get stuck and jams open the stem. If you have a good compressor move the trailer so the valve stem is on the top and put some air in the tire this should clear the stem of beads. we had the same problem and had to change a tire on the way home from picking the trailer up from Oliver. Once home I brought the tire to a tire shop and the guy knew right away what to do and fixed it. We will probably remove the beads and balance the tires the traditional way.  

Bill

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

25 minutes ago, Bill and Nancy said:

Yup we had the same problem it is caused by the balancing beads in the tires. The tire minder causes the valve stem to remain open and the balancing beads get stuck and jams open the stem. If you have a good compressor move the trailer so the valve stem is on the top and put some air in the tire this should clear the stem of beads. we had the same problem and had to change a tire on the way home from picking the trailer up from Oliver. Once home I brought the tire to a tire shop and the guy knew right away what to do and fixed it. We will probably remove the beads and balance the tires the traditional way.  

Bill

Could I just replace the valve stems with new valve stems to resolve the problems?

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

3 minutes ago, Gliddenwoods said:

Could I just replace the valve stems with new valve stems to resolve the problems?

No because when you screw tire sensor onto the valve stem it opens the valve core and it remains open. Then the balancing beads get stuck and jamb it open. Things will be fine until you remove the sensor to add air and it starts to leak and you can't stop it. If you move the trailer so that the stem is at the top of the tire and then add air it will usually blow the beads out and it will stop leaking. The only way I know to resolve this is to either remove the beads or buy internal tire pressure sensors and have them installed by a tire garage. I had exactly the same problem 

Bill

• Like 2

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

Gliddenwoods,

We received a package of 5 stems from Oliver and, I think a $25 card for a shop to swap out the valve stems last year.  I was under the assumption that the installed stems on our 2022 OL II were defective and these new stems were the fix but since I am waiting for the pressures to go down, and have not for a long time, I haven't replaced any of them.  You might contact service if they didn't send you any stems.  Don't know if any of this info will help but, for me, the stems just showed up in the mail with a brief explanation of what was going on with them.

Best of luck,

John

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

Bill, 

Thanks for input.

So if I do what  you suggest  (I will have to jack up because I can not move it right now) and the leak stops (the bead is out) I assume another bead may just get in there again?

I was able to get the TireMinder transmitter cap on the two leaking stems (at the correct PSI) and stop the leak. So.....I should just leave it alone for now until I have to take the transmitter cap off again in the future? I travel with a portable air compressor so why mess with it now? Just deal with it when I must. Does that make sense?

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Edit,,,since you had 2 people respond with the same problem and had newer trailers than mine, another assumption (yes, I know about assumptions) is if Oliver thought the stems were bad they wouldn't have let more out the gate without the fix.  SO please disregard my  previous post :(

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

23 minutes ago, Gliddenwoods said:

Bill, 

Thanks for input.

So if I do what  you suggest  (I will have to jack up because I can not move it right now) and the leak stops (the bead is out) I assume another bead may just get in there again?

So this is what happened to us. When we were in the Oliver camp ground I put on the tire sensors. We took the trailer for a short test ride of a few miles and came back to the camp ground. I figured out that I had put the wrong sensors on two of the tires so when we got back I took one sensor off and it was fine. Took the other one off and it was leaking so I quickly screwed it back on and I figured I would deal with it when we got home. That afternoon I stopped by an auto part store and pick up some new stem cores. That night I decided to change the valve stem and I couldn’t get the stem out it was stuck and in the process I lost all the air. So I got out my handy dandy air compressor and to my surprise It had the wrong connection for the 12volt and I couldn’t plug it in. So I put the spare tire on and drove 10 days no problem until we got home. I then took the tire to a garage and said I’ve never had a valve stem get stuck, first words out of his mouth do you have balancing beads. He then explained what I told you and he said it is a common problem.I called Oliver and mike said that they used to put balancing beads in the tires but they no longer do it. Guess what we had beads in our tires. So with some struggling we got the core out and replaced it with a new one and all is good for now. But when I get some free time I think I will either take the beads out and balance it with weights or pay the money for internal sensors . I think I will just balance them with weights and move on.  hope this helps

Bill

• Like 1

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Gliddenwoods said:

I was able to get the TireMinder transmitter cap on the two leaking stems (at the correct PSI) and stop the leak. So.....I should just leave it alone for now until I have to take the transmitter cap off again in the future? I travel with a portable air compressor so why mess with it now? Just deal with it when I must. Does that make sense?

I have the Tire Minder TPMS system, with 4 sensors.  Installing each of the 4 sensors caused the stem to leak, briefly, until I got the sensor screwed all the way into the stem.  Then, the leakage stopped.  This might be the simple answer to your query.

But, if you they leak again, I recommend you submit a service ticket to Oliver.  Oliver sent new "plug-resistant" tire valve stems, with $25 gift cards to cover some of the installation cost, to all those they knew of that ended up with balance beads in their tires when they picked them up from the factory.  I was told, when we took delivery of Hull #1291 in November, that the balance beads had been removed from all of our tires. 

Maybe they missed your Hull # 1242, and maybe it has balance beads.  If your leaks persist, Oliver should "make it right" by sending the right "bead-compatible" tire stems to you, or paying to have the balance beads removed from all of  your tires, and new valve stems installed.

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

If your trailer came equipped with tires containing balance beads Oliver should have sent you new valve cores. These replacement cores have a screen on them that keeps the beads out of the valve. You can also get this type of valve core at any tire shop. 

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

13 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

If your trailer came equipped with tires containing balance beads Oliver should have sent you new valve cores. These replacement cores have a screen on them that keeps the beads out of the valve. You can also get this type of valve core at any tire shop. 

Thanks for the information 

• Like 1

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg