I bought a Ford

Bryan in NC

I was going to replace my Tundra after my wife and I picked up our LE2, but I ran across the truck in my signature line that I couldn’t pass up.  The truck became available after the guy who placed the order ran out of patience.  The F-150’s 2,571 payload rating is over twice that of my Tundra and its 13,000 tow rating is nearly 50% higher.  I'm not so naive to think the truck can be safely operated at those capacities, but the upgraded suspension, rear axle, and longer wheelbase should help with stability when we load up for extended camping.  And, as a bonus, I don’t think we gave up the Tundra’s range since the F-150's tank is nearly the same size.  Anybody else towing with a 5.0L F-150 that can to share their towing MPG (I have the 3.73 rear)?  I’ve read it's highway MPG is around 10 when towing 7,000.

• Like 1

Bryan & Sondra

2023 Elite II Twin Bed, Hull #1358

2022 F-150 5.0L, long bed w/ Heavy Duty Payload, Max Tow, and FX4 packages

2 hours ago, Bryan in NC said:

I was going to replace my Tundra after my wife and I picked up our LE2, but I ran across the truck in my signature line that I couldn’t pass up.  The truck became available after the guy who placed the order ran out of patience.  The F-150’s 2,571 payload rating is over twice that of my Tundra and its 13,000 tow rating is nearly 50% higher.  I'm not so naive to think the truck can be safely operated at those capacities, but the upgraded suspension, rear axle, and longer wheelbase should help with stability when we load up for extended camping.  And, as a bonus, I don’t think we gave up the Tundra’s range since the F-150's tank is nearly the same size.  Anybody else towing with a 5.0L F-150 that can to share their towing MPG (I have the 3.73 rear)?  I’ve read it's highway MPG is around 10 when towing 7,000.

Not a 5.0 but milage on our 3.5 Ecoboost is running right at 12 MPG after about 23,000K in the mountain west.  We run a canopy on a shortbox FX4 with the max tow package.

• Moderators

5.0 V8 here, but not LE2.  Love the 5.0 and 65mph avg mpg is 13.5 - 15.5 depending on wind and rain condition towing 3900lbs.  3.15 gearbox 

• Like 2

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Not a V8 but mileage on the 3.5 twin turbo (2017) was 12-13 on several round trips from the mountains of Western NC to the Rockies and back.  Tonneau cover on FX4 trim truck with a 6.5 foot bed, max towing, and max payload.

I understand that the V8 performance is about the same while towing but that the ecoboost has better gas mileage (22 to 24 mpg) when not towing.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I have the 2019 F150 with same engine, tow package and axle ratio. I tow an O Elite 2. I get approx 14 mpg.

• Like 1

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

19 hours ago, Bryan in NC said:

Bryan,

Welcome to the Ford family!  I have an F-250 with a 7.3L V8 so I don’t know how yours will tow but I do know you will be happy with it.  I have towed with Ford and Toyotas and I strongly feel Ford knows towing much better!

I am originally from New Bern, NC and still have many friends back there.

Hope to meet and see you at the rally in May. We get our Ollie next month! (Former Airstreamers..)

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I understand that the V8 performance is about the same while towing but that the ecoboost has better gas mileage (22 to 24 mpg) when not towing.

Bill

It depends on driving habits and one's foot heaviness.  I usually drive conservatively and see 23mpg on the highway with my V8.  However, If I'm in a rush and use heavy accelerator while zooming along in the passing lane the mpg drops to 19.  

• Wow 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

I would say it's pretty hard not to buy any one of the Big Three trucks, RAM, Chevy/GMC, and the Ford. I myself would go with the V8's over the V6's, not that the V6's will not do a good job towing, because they do, but just like the more simple design of the V8's and cost of repairs when the engines get older and higher mileage, plus nothing sounds like a V8.  Owing a RAM with the 5.7 Hemi engine for me has truly been been a great power combination for me, but if I were the change brands it would be the Ford with the 5.0, or the Chevy/GMC with there V8's. I have given the Tundra some thought as I like the Japanese vehicles, but never purchased the Tundra because of its outdated vehicle design, now that it's been upgraded and only offer a V6, I'm still out on the Tundra. Good Lucky with your Ford, good choice with the V8, due note here I say a video on YouTube that interviewed Ford Techs at a dealership and there choice was the V8 over the V6, eight out of ten times. Reason was the V6 cost of repairs and turbos are just more expensive to work on and the 5.0 V8 has less problems in the life of the engine.  

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I have a 2016 F150 V8, 5.0 Lariat. I get about 12-13mpg while towing EII. I usually get about 16mpg when not towing. I also have the Anderson weight distribution hitch and have never towed without it. To add a little more support to the rear I installed SumoSprings. Almost no squat when hitching up and loading the bed with camping supplies. So far, the EII has towed great behind the F-150. Since the EII is only 7ft wide, I'm able to use the stock side mirrors as well. For our next truck I'll probably get a 3/4 ton just for the increased payload capacity.

Martin & Annie, Austin, TX

2022 LE2, Hull#1240: MightyMo 

Tow Vehicle: 2016 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8

Thanks everyone!  Those MPG numbers are really decent.  We feel very fortunate to have found this truck in the current market.  We were actually considering an F-250 gasser as our future truck and were perusing a couple of dealerships when we found our truck.  I too prefer the simplicity of a V8, but, in the 5.0’s case, that’s not so true these days.  Ford added cylinder deactivation in 2021, where half of the cylinders are shut off when the computer determines they’re not needed.  Ford also added auto-start/stop, but I’m not sure when.  Fortunately for me, the guy who placed the order opted for the auto-start/stop delete option.  He also opted for a block heater, so who’s up for an Alaskan winter camping trip?  🤣

At one point, I was considering helper springs for the Tundra, but I’m hoping the new truck’s additional leaf will negate the need.  We ordered the Andersen WDH when we placed our order.  The decal on the truck's hitch and the F-150 owner’s manual state a WDH is required when towing more than 5K.  Same was true on the Tundra and I suspect any 1/2 ton sold in recent years.  The 2nd gen Tundra is a great truck, until you want to tow something over 5K.  I never could understand Toyota’s logic of giving you a strong V8 and a 4.30 rear, and never seriously addressing its limited payload.  The 2nd gen had the worst payload in its class.

Bryan & Sondra

2023 Elite II Twin Bed, Hull #1358

2022 F-150 5.0L, long bed w/ Heavy Duty Payload, Max Tow, and FX4 packages

Although we have the heaviest suspension then available in the F150 when we bought it in '21, we still found that there was a bit of porposing while towing when you encounter severe frost heaves or a road bed which is extremely uneven.

Added a set of air bags under the rear springs and that cured the issue.  I also suspect the problem can also be mitigated through more robust sidewalls than found on stock tires (20" rims on my truck).  Probably beef up the next pair of tires and shocks when replacement of the originals becomes necessary.

Still, I find the F150 to be a very, very comfortable ride and is a fine match for the Legacy 2.  I don't think there is a wrong choice between the 5.0 and the 3.5 ... both are fine, proven power plants.

• Like 4