Propane Tank Mod - Installation of GasStop Valves - LE I Edition

DunnYet

After reading @VBistro's excellent write up ( Propane Tank Mod - Installation of GasStop Valves ) on adding GasStop safety valves to LE II Hull #953 I decided that I wanted to tackle that on "Reset" LE I Hull #1030. However, as LE I owners know on the forum, what working on an LE II may or may not work on an LE I.

When I put the gas stops on the LE I it was apparent that the LE I has a shorter propane box than the LE II, making the end of the hoses stick out of the box and preventing the lid from fitting correctly. I had to pull the GasStop valves off and re-evaluate.

I really wanted those GasStop units on there. 🙂 Tried re-orienting the tanks, shifting hoses, etc. but nothing worked. So, I started digging around and found hoses with 90-degree heads. That solved the distance to the front problem. However – the replacement hose length was longer than the original hoses and ended up with a second bend in the line that – while technically within spec – did not make me happy for having done the work.  

So here is the solution that I finally came up with. Be aware that there are a good number of joints here – make sure you are comfortable with (1) gas, (2) wrenches, (3) Sealing cream or tape for gas, and that you test for leaks on each and every joint. Soapy water works great, if you know a home brewer or commercial kitchen operator Star San bubbles like crazy at the smallest leak and is a literal lifesaver in this case.

Of specific note:

The install of the street elbow fitting was pretty easy, once @John E Davies cleared up some major confusion on my part. The confusion stemmed from the fact that the current fitting at the regulator has a plastic insert in it. According to John, this is a one-way check valve that allows the automatic propane switchover system to work properly. This straight fitting with the check valve is put in-line with the new elbow fitting so you don’t lose its functionality.

This bit of info from @John E Davies is critical. At least for me, when I removed the old hoses, I could not get the old check valve off. It was so tightly sealed that I initially assumed that it was part of the original hose. I am including the replacement for the check valve in the parts as you will need to be able to remove it and palace it on the new 90-degree hose, or put a replacement on the new hose.

Parts List (I have referenced Manufacturer Websites, most are available through Amazon as well) Quantity is for both tanks.

1) 2 GasStop Propane Shut-off Valves - Qty 2
 GasStop – Use Gas Safer With GasStop (gasstopusa.com)
https://gasstopusa.com/

2) 90° Propane Pigtail Hose (12″, Rubber) - Qty 2
Product details – GasGear (gas-gear.com)
https://gas-gear.com/product-details/#product1

3) ¼” NPT BRASS Street Elbows (double-check the size of your particular fitting) - Qty 4
Everbilt 1/4 in. MIP x 1/4 in. FIP 90-Degree Brass Street Elbow Fitting 802099 - The Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-MIP-x-1-4-in-FIP-90-Degree-Brass-Street-Elbow-Fitting-802099/300095976

4) Pipe Thread Sealant (specifically formulated for gasses)  -Qty 1
RectorSeal 1.75 oz. #5 Pipe Thread Sealant 25790 - The Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSeal-1-75-oz-5-Pipe-Thread-Sealant-25790/100144191

5) Low Pressure Fitting - 1 / 4" M NPT x 1 / 4" F Inverted Flare w / Check Valve - Qty 2
Low Pressure Fitting (camco.net) 
https://www.camco.net/low-pressure-fitting-1-4-m-npt-x-1-4-f-inverted-flare-w-check-valve-59954

Method (Copied and expanded from original post)

Detach propane hose from the ¼” straight NPT fitting at the regulator

Remove the straight ¼” fitting at the low pressure regulator

Remove the ACME connection at the propane tank

Clean as much old pipe thread sealant as you can from both the regulator side and the hose side, being careful not to let any shavings enter the regulator

Apply thread sealant to the male end of the new elbow fitting and install it at the low pressure regulator. Tighten to position the female end away from the trailer, toward the hitch.

Place a second elbow fitting into the first, applying thread sealant to the male end. Tighten to position the female end pointing downward.

This next step represents a preference thing for me. I feel that attaching the check valve to the new 90 degree hose before attaching the hose to the downward facing female elbow works better, as the end of the hose is an odd size for which I did not have a wrench requiring me to use an adjustable crescent wrench. Proper tool may be a small pipe wrench, which was not to hand. As always, apply sealant to the male threads and tighten firmly.

Apply thread sealant to the check fitting’s male end and screw it onto the street elbow. You can use a pipe or crescent wrench to snug this connection. This is the connection where I ended up with a leak, as the dangling hose can make you think that you have it connected but in realith the hose is just binding.

Re-attach gas stop to propane tank and new 90 degree hose to gas stop.

Let sealant cure for 24 hours

Pressurize system and leak test! Note – if your tank is full and the gas stop shows “low” this is a good indication of a leak.

Here are some photos of the finished project. Again thanks to @VBistro, @MarkV, and @John E Davies for the original post and follow-ups for this great idea. I hope this helps LE I owners in making this modification to their Oliver.

IMG_1382.thumb.jpeg.e10b068001405554c4eea71a911a8dfb.jpeg

IMG_1380.thumb.jpeg.42ac907db9a5f9581170a976a5a1d770.jpeg

IMG_1379.thumb.jpeg.2e76779cb9438ffc35ad3b9181101dfd.jpegIMG_1384.thumb.jpeg.2e56ebfc89a991ab439ae031280afbe6.jpeg
IMG_1383.thumb.jpeg.f29797fe1c8b44f57c092dad7ad75705.jpeg

IMG_1381.jpeg

IMG_1378.jpeg

• Like 4

New Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Maxtow Package "Name TBD"
Original and still available Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "
Reset"
Home Base Duncanville, TX

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

As a safety precaution, check your "gas stop" brand pigtail for leaks.  Both of mine had small leaks at the 90 degree bend where the chrome fitting goes into the brass elbow.  I'm send them back soon and trying a different brand.  Probably bad luck but I figured to just try another brand.

John

• Like 3

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

2 hours ago, johnwen said:

As a safety precaution, check your "gas stop" brand pigtail for leaks.  Both of mine had small leaks at the 90 degree bend where the chrome fitting goes into the brass elbow.  I'm send them back soon and trying a different brand.  Probably bad luck but I figured to just try another brand.

John

Thanks - I will check it before we head out.! Good to know.

• Like 1

New Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Maxtow Package "Name TBD"
Reset"

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@Johnwen - fortunately our trip was to the factory for annual service. One thing that they do is pressure test  the LP system, and they said that everything checked out using the 90 degree pigtails. So I got lucky with these two. 😌

Would be very interested in what you find as alternatives. Let me know what brand / reference number you use and I will update the core post to include a pointer to those as well.

Thanks again for the tip - I will admit I felt much better after going out and spraying half a bottle of Star San on the 90s and everything around them after you told me about your experience. 🙂

Reset"

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

Update - The automatic switchover worked.

I must admit - I was really worried about whether the automatic tank switch would work in this configuration. Just make sure that after you install the tanks (or turn them off, or refill them) you push down on the Gas Stop gauges to make sure that the flow is open. 

In 20 degree temp in the facory campground we had a successful tank swap - all while asleep in our snug little Oliver. So that worked. 

I feel much better now (LOL)

• Like 1

Reset"

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 2/5/2023 at 4:49 PM, johnwen said:

I'm send them back soon and trying a different brand.

@johnwen did you end up finding a different brand?

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

54 minutes ago, rich.dev said:

@johnwen did you end up finding a different brand?

I did not pursue the quest for a different brand... Sorry, I should have responded sooner.  At the time I was interested in rerouting the hoses to relieve the tight bends when I encountered my problem.  I ended up with everything as I received from Oliver.

• Like 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/