Portable ZAMP Solar Panel Connection Requirement

I recently purchased the Zamp 230W (Item USP1004) portable solar panel directly from Zamp at a good price and not directly from Oliver.  In preparation of a trip departure of next week I decided to do a test run. I have discovered that the Zamp exterior port on the exterior of my 2022 Oliver (photo #2) has a "rounded" top of the entry opening while the cable that comes with the Zamp solar panel (photo #1) has a "square" top; thus no connection possible.

FYI: If you purchase the Zamp  solar panel Item USP1004 you must also order  Zamp cable Item ITC3018 to make the connection with the Zamp port on the side of the Oliver...at least so on hull 1242.  Not a big deal with a cost of only $19, but good to know before you are at the campsite...

Be well.

Zamp connection 1.jpeg

Zamp connection 2.jpeg

• Like 8

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

29 minutes ago, Gliddenwoods said:

In preparation of a trip departure of next week I decided to do a test run

Bravo, I am glad you got it sorted. test runs are good.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Gliddenwoods, so this was simply plug and play?  How much distance from your Ollie can you get for your zamp setup?  We have the Pro solar setup but I assume it would work the same.  Just thinking if I'm in a shady spot this would work.  Is that your planned use?

Tim and Christie

2023 GMC 2500 6.6 Diesel

2022 LEII #1283

US States Map.jpg

2 hours ago, Tim Willingham said:

Gliddenwoods, so this was simply plug and play?  How much distance from your Ollie can you get for your zamp setup?  We have the Pro solar setup but I assume it would work the same.  Just thinking if I'm in a shady spot this would work.  Is that your planned use?

Yes Tim it is just "simply plug & play". The cable with the unit is 15ft long. (Important note: You can not add on the additional 15ft cable that Zamp sells as it is too small wire gage.)  Yes this with assist my rooftop panels in general and particularly when in shade and a sunny spot is within 15ft. 

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

On 2/10/2023 at 3:23 PM, Tim Willingham said:

Thanks!  This will fit my needs.  Now, on to the genset hunt!

The generator issue has been pummeled many times.  Recently the inverter world now has many options for quiet generators.  Check it out via the search for some great advice.

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks on the info on the adapter plug. I am getting ready to purchase the Zamp portable solar panel. Trying to make up my mind (what is left) on the 230 Watt that has to say within 15 feet of the trailer due to wire gage size. Or the 180 watt that you can add a additional 15 feet extension to get to 30 feet. I know it depends on what type of camping you do but we go from music festivals to state and federal parks and boondocking with our dogs. So running our Dometic 11000 btu AC with draws +- 11.4 amps. Off the batteries is a must at times. And yes we have a generator also.  I know bigger is better but 15 feet to get to sun seems short. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

John & Chris Dehne Manchester, MD.  2021 Elite II twin Hull# 901

“Fiberbeergrass” 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4  Life is good!

19 minutes ago, John Dehne said:

I know bigger is better but 15 feet to get to sun seems short. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

A0D9C811-F890-4C31-A023-0DF759C18099.thumb.jpeg.df83ba0ea9a3d3c8269fa96e1dcf8a70.jpeg

You must relocate the portable panel’s controller to the trailer. I am using 50 feet of aftermarket heavy gauge solar cable and it works fine.

It greatly increases the theft risk! If you are not out there observing all the time, you need to figure out a way to secure it to something big like a concrete building block. It also is a SERIOUS trip hazard! 

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/5478-how-to-remote-mount-the-controller-of-a-suitcase-solar-panel-not-inside-the-trailer/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.