Rear Jack Mounting Brackets

Mike and Carol

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Are you sure that this steel not simply been bent and/or molded/extruded in this manner versus "welded"?

No, I'm not sure.  What made me think it is welded is the appearance of weld penetration at the L joint on one of the unpainted, cut sides.  See photo below. 

What do you think?

Regardless of whether it is welded or extruded, if the jack fails, that junction is much too solid to be the failure point.

2147174846_SideViewofAngleIronJackBracket.thumb.jpg.b7df8d6a20487a4d062ebf8907d7829b.jpg

While I was there, I got a better photo of the weld connecting the cylindrical jack housing to the vertical bracket which bolts the jack to the L bracket.  That weld looks pretty stout to me.   This examination left me with ample confidence that the jacks in Hull #1291 will perform up to their 3K lb. rating.

111674907_CloseUpofJacktoBracketWeld.thumb.jpg.953454fe2461fe997d39635412795874.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
20 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I always thought that they were simply reasonably heavy "L" channel.

This is what I think the steel brackets are.  Under this application I don't believe that there is a snowball's chance in .... that they will fail.

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

I appreciate your perspectives on this topic and many others as well.

Thanks - I try my best to be objective and balanced on both sides of most discussions.

18 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

I do in the right circumstances use my jacks to level and service Ollie axles

Me too!  I've never had a flat on the side of the road (knock on wood) but have rotated the tires and raised the camper (using the jacks) in order to place jack stands, blocks of wood, etc. under it in order to do other maintenance jobs too.  Being squashed by any vehicle is not high on my list of things to do, therefore, I too am VERY careful and assume full responsibility for for my actions regarding these jacks.

Another note for those that own "newer" Ollies - on the newer Ollies the steel sub-frame was bigger (i.e. longer) and this is when Oliver started placing those stickers/decals showing "jack points".  For those of us that own older Elite II's the sub-frame is so short that there really is little to no place for a jack.  Since one can not use a jack under the axle and there is little to no space under the support for the springs - where does one place a jack?  Yes, there are places, but, one must be very careful with its placement - both under the Ollie and on the ground (you certainly do not want ANY shifting of the jack in either location).  Thus, for these owners of older Ollies (Elite II's) many times it is easier and even more prudent to simply use these onboard jacks to temporarily raise the camper on one side.

Bill

• Like 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

topgun2:

Good information to have as the 2018 Owner's Manual is not clear on the issue of where to place a jack. Thanks

This is what is in my O&M:

"Loosen the lug nuts on the tire you want to remove. Check for a flat surface on the closest corner of the steel sub frame to use as a jack point. Using a jack, raise the trailer until the tire clears the ground, then finish loosening and removing them. Pull off the old tire, slide the hubcap out backwards and insert it on spare. Set spare tire evenly on the lug nuts and hand tighten lug nuts. Retract front jack back to travel position. Now tighten lug nuts completely. Lug nuts should be torqued to 120 ft. lbs. Place the flat tire in the spare location. Have the damaged tire checked and repaired or replaced. Be sure to have lug nuts re-torqued within 50 miles since they may loosen and every 200 miles thereafter."

• Like 4

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

12 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Thus, for these owners of older Ollies (Elite II's) many times it is easier and even more prudent to simply use these onboard jacks to temporarily raise the camper on one side.

Spot on Top Gun!

Sorry for not also adding my other prime Safety John caution.  If working under Ollie, no matter how you got it up, please have it connected to your 6,000 pound anchor (Tow Vehicle).  Best to have the TV in park with the emergency/parking brake set.  Finally, add some sort of notice on the steering wheel not to drive off with Ollie with jacks down.  I use a simple piece of red flagging across the steering wheel as a reminder (mostly for me) that the jacks are down. 

When covering 500 mile days, I'll stop for sleep and use that same flagging if I need to just somewhat level Ollie for just for an evening.  In the morning, I am anxious to get some more coffee and on the road.  Fortunately, the first thing I see is the flagging.  5% of the time, I then get out of the truck and raise the jacks, AND do my full pre-departure inspection.  That flagging has saved my jacks more than a few times.  

Do you have an inside and an outside pre-departure check list?  If not send me a PM.  

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

please have it connected to your 6,000 pound anchor (Tow Vehicle).  Best to have the TV in park with the emergency/parking brake set. 

Absolutely!

For a number of reasons.

Bill

• Like 2

I just looked at my brackets, Hull 218 has black painted steel ones and they look fine. Then I pretty much hid them.

47C3B1F0-9F19-4421-92EF-B653A8771CF2.thumb.jpeg.33d9dee6358749e9c669a9eaa6d24ea8.jpeg

DB7E0271-817D-4AC8-8D6B-A1A2DA9F96BF.thumb.jpeg.b880923ab4cb3e017ff91d428344ae62.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

15 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

I just looked at my brackets, Hull 218 has black painted steel ones and they look fine. Then I pretty much hid them.

47C3B1F0-9F19-4421-92EF-B653A8771CF2.thumb.jpeg.33d9dee6358749e9c669a9eaa6d24ea8.jpeg

DB7E0271-817D-4AC8-8D6B-A1A2DA9F96BF.thumb.jpeg.b880923ab4cb3e017ff91d428344ae62.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

Nice labeling John!

John

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

is "UP" trailer up or jack up?

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

2 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

is "UP" trailer up or jack up?

GJ

Jack shaft up. I encountered a frozen jack once, it would not budge in either direction. Knowing which way to relieve the load might be useful next time. The problem was actually (really) loose mounting bolts through the frame.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+

I consider up and down to be in reference to the jack’s foot. I fixed all the switches to be the same. Push the switch up and the jack goes up (trailer goes down.)

But, to be perfectly transparent, my switches are all positioned where I can actually see the jack when I'm operating it.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

48 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

I consider up and down to be in reference to the jack’s foot. I fixed all the switches to be the same. Push the switch up and the jack goes up (trailer goes down.)

I too really like the idea of using a silver paint marker to indicate the jack input for trailer raise/lower.  Makes sense to have it right there during an problem.

in 2018, when Phil toured my OE2 on delivery, he stumbled on describing which way to push the rear jack rocker switches.  He by habit raised the trailer when he wanted to, but describing the logic of his habit was a problem.  I stated, "So push the upper button to raise the trailer!"  He commented that that was an easy way to remember it!

So I continue to this day, every time I am about to reach down to those buttons, I think: "Trailer UP push upper button", and "Trailer DOWN push the lower button". 

So we have another extraordinarily moment for us, Your tomato is not my tomaddo.  I will mimic the action of the trailer when the button is pushed for my labeling of the rear jacks, by labeling them in a similar fashion:  

·        JD: Counter clockwise is jack up  (Trailer Down)             GJ:  Clockwise trailer UP 

·        JD: Clockwise is jack down  (Trailer Up)                            GJ:  Counterclockwise Trailer Down

It also works like my ole screw jack.  Clockwise and the truck goes up!

Owners are you a tomato or a tomaddo?   😃 

GJ

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2023 at 11:11 PM, Geronimo John said:

True if you are not 4,000 miles cross most of CONUS and an ocean away.  🙂

Good one, John!  You're cracking me up!!!

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 2/12/2023 at 6:30 AM, Geronimo John said:

I use a simple piece of red flagging across the steering wheel as a reminder (mostly for me) that the jacks are down. 

Just like "LOCK-OUT/TAG-OUT" procedures, right, GJ?

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

I have hull 98.  Noticed while getting ready for my upcoming trip that one jack bracket, curb side,  ( aluminum) appears to be fully welded on both sides of the bracket.  On the street side, the visible side has a small spot weld, the hidden side is fully welded as best as I can tell without a bore scope.
I was told by service that it was normal for this production year. 

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

• Moderators
On 2/14/2023 at 11:53 PM, Geronimo John said:

I too really like the idea of using a silver paint marker to indicate the jack input for trailer raise/lower.  Makes sense to have it right there during an problem.

Been on our jacks for 16 seasons. Highly recommended. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.