TPMS Sensors Stuck on the Valve Stems

35 minutes ago, Carl Hansen said:

The little wrench they supplied does not do the trick.  Any other suggestions?

My Tire Minder TPMS sensors come with a nut that is tightened by the little wrench.  If you try to unscrew the TPMS sensors without first loosening the nut with the little wrench and then spinning the nut toward the wheel, the TPMS sensors will not budge.  This is a theft-deterrent measure--Tire Minder figures a casual thief won't have one of the little wrenches, but you will keep the one they supplied.

If yours are Tire Minders, try loosening the nut first, then spinning it toward the wheel.  A Tire Minder TPMS sensor will then twist off with just counterclockwise hand pressure.

• Like 5

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Carl - 

Another thing that you can try is to press down (towards the tire) on the TPMS while at the same time turning the TPMS anti-clockwise (lefty loosey).  If the sensors aren't on too tight this just might work without that little wrench.

One more - Hold the main body of your TPMS in your left hand and use your right hand to try to twist the very top of the TPMS (again anti-clockwise).  Again, if the top isn't screwed on too tight, it just might come off without that little wrench.

And, finally - if you have either a thin head adjustable wrench or a thin pair of pliers, you can use those in place of the little wrench.  Be a bit careful doing this in that you certainly do not want to bugger up the relatively soft plastic that these TPMS housings are made out of.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I find that I need to hold the bottom of the little wrench to hold it tightly on the nut that needs to loosen. 

Works for me.

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

I have the TST system as well and have never experienced any issues. A call to their customer service might be in order.

Hope you get it resolved.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I got it sorted out!  Some WD40 helped loosen the threads and an adjustable wrench on the base was the magic combination.  Without the adjustable wrench, the entire air valve was spinning in place.  The wrench on the base of the transmitter held everything in place while I used the TST wrench to loosen the locking nut.   All is well and thanks to everyone who helped on this one.

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite I | "Lil' Tow" | Hull #924

Tow Vehicle: 2020 Jeep Gladiator

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

You may want to reach out to the mfg of your TPS.  I bet they would love to hear your story and would send you the wrench.  

GJ

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg