Bristol32

Bristol 32

• Moderators

Most people (couples) get regular mattresses for these beds.  I got a mattress for one side but still have the standard cushions for the other side plus the backrest cushions in order to make it more like a couch versus a bed.  If you are mainly traveling alone and/or your partner is fairly light weight then this arrangement could be considered.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Hello Bristol,

I agree with the others. If you are going to be traveling alone then the couch option would be a good choice, but if you have or will be having a traveling companion then the twin beds are the way to go. 
I think topgun2 suggestion to get the twins and use one as a couch is the best of both worlds. You never know when you may want/need that second bed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

I travel alone with Pets. I decided against the couch option and went with the twin configuration for the following reasons:

-couch option deletes the bed wing on the couch side, making for a narrower bed. 
-I didnt want to stow all of the couch cushions when I have a human guest travel with me

-couch cushions are vertical and not that comfy for slouching  (those who have tried lounging at the dinette can attest to this)

Instead, I bring four down-filled throw pillows with me and can stack them into a wedge for slouching etc. It’s also easier to stow the down pillows when using as a bed. Works for me. Should you experience condensation on the inner wall under the belly band it is easier to spot without being covered with couch cushions and the pillows are easily moved

Also, I can switch sides for sleeping easily and not have to deal with a narrow bed on the one side

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Mountainman198 said:

couch option deletes the bed wing on the couch side, making for a narrower bed. 

Not on mine.  

On my original build I did order the deletion of that twin bed extension in order to make that side more like an actual couch.  However, Good ol' Anita called me one day and convinced me to add the "wing" and then use the combination of the back cushions plus a couple of throw pillows in order to make the "couch" more comfortable while preserving the utility of the larger seating area for a bed if the need arises.  As with most things - Anita was right!

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 2/17/2023 at 6:48 AM, topgun2 said:

Not on mine.  

On my original build I did order the deletion of that twin bed extension in order to make that side more like an actual couch.  However, Good ol' Anita called me one day and convinced me to add the "wing" and then use the combination of the back cushions plus a couple of throw pillows in order to make the "couch" more comfortable while preserving the utility of the larger seating area for a bed if the need arises.  As with most things - Anita was right!

Bill

I tried this when I ordered mine in 2021. No such luck. You want the couch, no wing for you. 

• Wow 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

On 2/18/2023 at 1:28 PM, Mountainman198 said:

I tried this when I ordered mine in 2021. No such luck. You want the couch, no wing for you. 

Really interesting.  Both my beds have the wing and are same width.   The extra $299 cost I assume was for extra cushions you get for the back of one side.   

• Like 2

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, TexasGuy said:

The extra $299 cost I assume was for extra cushions you get for the back of one side.   

correct.

FYI - Just for the fun of it - a little history Oliver lesson:  The first "Twin bed" Ollie ordered with the one bed as a "couch" was a former owner that went by the Forum name of "Windcrasher".  He was from northern South Carolina (Greer) and was involved in (I think) the oil shale business mainly in Pennsylvania.  Because he spent winters in PA, he was also the first (possibly the only) to have his Oliver fitted with tank heaters too and he even had an extra 110 volt outlet in the closet so that he could plug his computer printer in to print reports for his work.

During the time between placing my order and getting delivery I watched his Oliver video on YouTube more than 75 times - there wasn't any Oliver University or Oliver videos out there except for his.😵

Bill

p.s.  for what its worth - I believe that Twist was only the second twin bed to be ordered with the "couch" option.

• Like 2

I can add an additional idea. We have twin bed configuration. On occasion I go on photography trips without my wife. I completely take out the mattress on one side and roll out a couple of yoga mats to create friction on the fiberglass surface. I use the space for my photo gear (4 packs, tripods, flash gear, computer), plus some other gear the is normally  packed deep in the back of the truck that I want to have easy access (packed in crates). The bed wing with the upturned edge does a great job containing the gear. I love having easy access and a place to stage/clean/recharge my camera gear each morning and end of day. 

• Like 4

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

8 hours ago, taylor.coyote said:

I can add an additional idea. We have twin bed configuration. On occasion I go on photography trips without my wife. I completely take out the mattress on one side and roll out a couple of yoga mats to create friction on the fiberglass surface. I use the space for my photo gear (4 packs, tripods, flash gear, computer), plus some other gear the is normally  packed deep in the back of the truck that I want to have easy access (packed in crates). The bed wing with the upturned edge does a great job containing the gear. I love having easy access and a place to stage/clean/recharge my camera gear each morning and end of day. 

If you do this routinely you could add a pair of 48” long cargo tracks and tie down straps or bungees, because your gear is undoubtedly bouncing up and down, even if they don’t shift visibly on the mats. Plus in a hard stop it will keep them secure.

https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/collections/l-track-versatie

These are GREAT items, very versatile, as their name implies, and you get 10% off your first order if you subscribe to emails. I have Mac’s parts all over and in my Ollie.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2790-how-to-aircraft-tiedowns-for-the-storage-tray/

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2759-how-to-closet-tie-down-rings/

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2758-how-to-wire-cable-clothes-line-full-cabin-length/

You could also carry the small 6x6 Clam shelter there. The bigger ones are too long.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2
  • Love 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.