Hello from Alabama!

shhQuiet

Hi everyone, my name is Steve and I have placed my order for a Legacy Elite II and the estimated delivery is June 20th.

I have done very little RV camping, but it has been a plan for many years.  My wife and I used to dream about retiring and traveling the country in an RV.  Sadly, she passed away before we could realize that dream.  I am 64 and planning on retiring once I hit the magic 65 in September.

In December, I purchased my tow vehicle.   Took a trip up to Hohenwald a couple of weeks ago and met with Jason at Oliver.  I  toured the factory and pulled the trigger on the new trailer.  Still have a lot of learning to do-- there are days and days of videos on YouTube about Olivers and also just RVing in general so I've been binging those 😄

Really looking forward to this summer when me and my pup will hit the road!

IMG_4006.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Care 1

2023 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull #1405, "Rocinante"  TV: 2022 F-150 5.0 V8 4x4

States Visited MapMap of Provinces I Visited

Hello Steve, nice to know you are going forward with your dreams. We too have an LE2 ordered, delivery in mid April. We will be traveling seasonally with our pooches as well. Exploring seems like a fun way to meet folks and see all the spectacular places around America. I'm sure we'll cross paths down the road and we're looking forward to every new friend we make in the process. Congratulations!

PS - We bought our tow vehicle about 18 months ago, listed in our signature line below. What did you get? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

12 minutes ago, Ollie-Haus said:

PS - We bought our tow vehicle about 18 months ago, listed in our signature line below. What did you get? 

Thanks for the welcome!  It's a 2022 Ford F150 4x4 5.0L V8 with the Pro Towing package.  I bought it strictly based on the 13,000 lb. towing capacity.  Pretty sure it can handle the LE2, but I've heard quite a few folks now say that it may be a bit small?  Too late now! 😄  But, I think it will be OK, we'll see!  Certainly not close to the monster you are driving~

• Like 7

I've towed for years and wanted a heavy truck this time around. My former truck which we still own is an F150 with the 5.4 engine and tow package. You will love the 5.0. V8's are great engines and I've heard the 5.0 is really strong. You may like the tow experience better with a weight distribution hitch but I have no doubt you've got plenty of truck. Looks like you are set up for fun times down the road. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

Steve,

Welcome and congrats on your order! It will be here before you know it! Now is a great time to hit the books in Oliver University. You will be much better off on delivery day! Lots of great info on here as well.

The search bar is your friend! 😊

Patriot🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Steve - 

I'll add to the "welcomes"!

Sorry to hear about your wife but I'm sure that she is still with you in spirit.

There are a couple of Ollie owners here that have had exactly your same unfortunate experience.  I'm sure that they can be of help to you.

With the F-150 you will absolutely need a weight distribution hitch if you intend to stay within the law and want to keep your Ford factory warranty.  Ford requires a WDH for towing anything that has a hitch weight of 500 pounds and up.  The Andersen WDH is the only one that will work with the Oliver without reasonably major alterations to the Oliver.  Add to your list of YouTube videos those that Andersen has placed on YouTube and you will be well prepared for your delivery.

As you progress - don't hesitate to let us know your questions and/or things that simply don't make sense to you - we are happy to help!

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Welcome Steve! 

Good luck on all your travels! This is such a great forum. We found it very useful in preparing for our E2. 

Look forward to hearing about some of you adventures. 

Kirk

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

The Andersen WDH is the only one that will work with the Oliver without reasonably major alterations to the Oliver.

Thanks for the welcome and the info!  I did include the "Anderson No-Sway Hitch System" in my order.  Is this the same thing as the weight-distribution hitch you mentioned?  I know the truck also has a no-sway feature that uses the anti-lock braking to prevent trailer sway.

• Like 4

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, shhQuiet said:

Is this the same thing as the weight-distribution hitch you mentioned? 

Yes.

The Andersen is both an anti-sway and weight distribution hitch.  We don't talk about the anti-sway much in that Olivers simply do not sway.

Bill

• Like 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.  I am sorry about the loss of your wife.  We're newbies to Oliver, having just picked up in November.  Congrats on your order of an LE2 due in June.  Great time to pick up.  I retired at 64 and highly recommend it.  The forum members are a great source of information.  There's a rally in Alabama every May and lots of information at Oliver University and videos.  Time flies.  It will be delivery day soon enough.  Can you retire in June instead?

John

• Like 5
  • Love 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

Welcome Steve!  We’re relatively new here too.  We pick up our LE2 at the end of March.  Just a thought, and others will need to chime in on whether it’s okay, but the annual rally in held in your neck of the woods.  Although your trailer won’t be ready in time, perhaps you could still visit and meet some fellow Oliver owners?

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Bryan & Sondra

2023 Elite II Twin Bed, Hull #1358

2022 F-150 5.0L, long bed w/ Heavy Duty Payload, Max Tow, and FX4 packages

41 minutes ago, John Welte said:

I retired at 64 and highly recommend it.  The forum members are a great source of information.  There's a rally in Alabama every May and lots of information at Oliver University and videos.  Time flies.  It will be delivery day soon enough.  Can you retire in June instead?

Haha!  Well, I guess I could retire in June, but I do have the luxury of working from anywhere, so I'm going to see how it turns out if I try to work from the road in the Oliver.  If it works OK, I may continue working just to accumulate more cash for retirement.  Otherwise, if work cuts into my free time too much, I'll just say "so long!".  Health insurance is the only other issue, so I was thinking I would wait until I can sign up for Medicare.

I definitely have learned that time is more valuable than money, so that's not lost on me!  Best to start living the dream while I am still healthy and active.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, Bryan in NC said:

Welcome Steve!  We’re relatively new here too.  We pick up our LE2 at the end of March.  Just a thought, and others will need to chime in on whether it’s okay, but the annual rally in held in your neck of the woods.  Although your trailer won’t be ready in time, perhaps you could still visit and meet some fellow Oliver owners?

That a good idea- Google says Lake Guntersville is only a couple of hours away, so I could come up for a day trip!

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, shhQuiet said:

That a good idea- Google says Lake Guntersville is only a couple of hours away, so I could come up for a day trip!

I think it would be well worth the time spent Steve! You will meet a lot of really nice Oliver owners! 👍🏻

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Hello Steve, Welcome to the Oliver family!
I’m sorry about the loss of your wife, I’m sure she’s happy you are still following your dreams and she will be traveling with you in spirit.

You are going to love your Oliver! 

• Like 4

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, shhQuiet said:

Or - 

The State Park has a very nice lodge.  Come on up and stay for the weekend - Friday and Saturday would be best.  We'd love to meet ya.

Bill

• Like 5
  • Care 1

• Moderators

Hey Steve, glad you are following through and living your dream, although significantly modified.  This is a great community and a good place to get any questions answered.  If you make it up to the rally it would be great to meet you.  Mike

• Like 6
  • Care 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Hello Steve, welcome to "The Family" of Ollie owners and wanderers. 

I'm sorry for your loss. Fifteen years ago, I was in your spot.  Lynn and I were anticipating retirement and traveling the land in an RV and unfortunately, her "time to go" came too soon.   Like you, I had a year before I could possible retire and continued to follow our "significantly modified" original plan. Traveling with the Oliver has been very cathartic, and I still sense she's along with me in spirit, urging me on to get out there to see new things, meet new people, and enjoy life as we had intended.

I'm on my second tow vehicle, and second travel dog.  You will find great comfort in your furkid's companionship along the way and your eyes will be opened up to the many splendors we have around us in this great land.  Campers are a gregarious bunch of people and most will gladly assist you, as needed, while you learn the ropes and settle into your own style of camping. 

Tell us about your pup.  Got any pictures?

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Care 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators
3 hours ago, shhQuiet said:

definitely have learned that time is more valuable than money, so that's not lost on me!  Best to start living the dream while I am still healthy and active

Totally agree, on that.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Imo, never too early to get out there, even if it's just learning camping/trailering  on weekends. 

15 years in,,we are very happy. Love our 2008 Elite. 

No matter what you choose, camping is a wonderful lifestyle  .

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, shhQuiet said:

Haha!  Well, I guess I could retire in June, but I do have the luxury of working from anywhere, so I'm going to see how it turns out if I try to work from the road in the Oliver.  If it works OK, I may continue working just to accumulate more cash for retirement.  Otherwise, if work cuts into my free time too much, I'll just say "so long!".  Health insurance is the only other issue, so I was thinking I would wait until I can sign up for Medicare.

I definitely have learned that time is more valuable than money, so that's not lost on me!  Best to start living the dream while I am still healthy and active.

Me, if I loved my job, I'd work remote. Just my thoughts 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Steve welcome to the family, So sorry to hear about your wife . You find that this is a group of very nice people who will reach out to help in any way needed. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

John & Chris Dehne Manchester, MD.  2021 Elite II twin Hull# 901

“Fiberbeergrass” 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4  Life is good!

4 hours ago, bugeyedriver said:

Tell us about your pup.  Got any pictures?

Aww, you asked for it!  She was my late mother-in-law’s dog first, then my wife took her and now it’s just me and her. She is my special buddy for sure. 8 year old toy poodle and she weighs 8 pounds 😂

7EBACC20-EB7B-45AA-BF40-5AD9ECBB38CD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 4