Adding a 48V system questions

rferg800

OK this could get a bit long, please bear with me.
I have a 2019 LE II that already has the 12v system in it. 340watt solar, a PWM 25v/30amp Zamp controller, 4 12v AGM batteries in parallel(not sure the size), and a 2000 watt Zantrex inverter. My trailer also has the two 30 amp shore power input plugs. One at the front and one at the rear. Hear is my thoughts/plan:
1st- remove the heavy 340 watts of residential solar.
2nd- build a thin aluminum platform over the trailer to mount 8x200watt flex CIGS panels (ea. 31.5VOC/8.64A) in series. Supported by the 8 awning brackets.
3rd-install in tongue box 48V EG-4 3kW AIO inverter/ charger ( https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-3kw-...r2ooEFRdHYEsl9hcu-afUiL7PX8vjfHdggB4q3.VnU9vH )
4th Two 48V 100AH EG4 WP batteries.
This should give me a silent true 3000 watt solar gen. Here is where I need some input.
First I would like to keep the rest of the 12v system in place. So to feed the Zamp controller would I be able to feed 20-30 amps of 12-24v through a step down converter from the 48v batteries in place of the 340 watts of original solar panels I removed?
Second I would like to use the front 30amp shore power plug as the AC input to the EG4 3kW AIO inverter/ charger and treat the AC output of the inverter as the shore power to the trailer. I understand that the 3kW from the inverter wont equal the 3600watts from a 30A shore power supply (3600watts). The EG4 3kW unit can handle 5kW surges, for starting the air conditioner.

Thanks all input welcome
Robert

2019 LE II Hull# 466

TV 2021 Chev Silverodo 1500 HC

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, rferg800 said:

OK this could get a bit long, please bear with me.
I have a 2019 LE II that already has the 12v system in it. 340watt solar, a PWM 25v/30amp Zamp controller, 4 12v AGM batteries in parallel(not sure the size), and a 2000 watt Zantrex inverter. My trailer also has the two 30 amp shore power input plugs. One at the front and one at the rear. Hear is my thoughts/plan:
1st- remove the heavy 340 watts of residential solar.
2nd- build a thin aluminum platform over the trailer to mount 8x200watt flex CIGS panels (ea. 31.5VOC/8.64A) in series. Supported by the 8 awning brackets.
3rd-install in tongue box 48V EG-4 3kW AIO inverter/ charger ( https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-3kw-...r2ooEFRdHYEsl9hcu-afUiL7PX8vjfHdggB4q3.VnU9vH )
4th Two 48V 100AH EG4 WP batteries.
This should give me a silent true 3000 watt solar gen. Here is where I need some input.
First I would like to keep the rest of the 12v system in place. So to feed the Zamp controller would I be able to feed 20-30 amps of 12-24v through a step down converter from the 48v batteries in place of the 340 watts of original solar panels I removed?
Second I would like to use the front 30amp shore power plug as the AC input to the EG4 3kW AIO inverter/ charger and treat the AC output of the inverter as the shore power to the trailer. I understand that the 3kW from the inverter wont equal the 3600watts from a 30A shore power supply (3600watts). The EG4 3kW unit can handle 5kW surges, for starting the air conditioner.

Thanks all input welcome
Robert

As one of my engineer friends says, any problem can be solved with enough time, thought, and money.

Why 48 volts? Most boats use 24. And, yes, you can step down to 12. Every conversion/inversion loses a bit of power, but not a lot from 24v to 12.

Imo, very ambitious with the Ollie rooftop real estate. And unnecessary.  I personally wouldn't want to depend on awning brackets to support solar panels, going down the road.  I wouldn't know where to begin, to get that much solar. Maybe add to the tow vehicle. What panels are you looking at? I think the most I've seen on an Ollie rooftop is around 640.

Also, we have flex panels on our sailboat. Already seeing some  worming/deterioration after 6 years. Direct attachment, florida sun.

We are power misers, but live pretty well  in good weather, with 400 watts solar (12v) and 100 to 200 watts portable, if we're camped long enough to be worth the effort. Otherwise,  genset is brought online.

Btw, with any new array, I'd ditch the Zamp, and go victron, all the way. You might find some help from them, too. They're the gold standard in the marine world, though a bit more pricey.

I think you need to talk to a good solar engineering company, and Victron. And Oliver, about your proposed attachments. 

Good luck.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.