Best Location for LevelMate Pro

Tom and Doreen

We mounted our inside the closet, above the door. No problem getting a signal. We plug it into portable battery for power.

Kirk522729EF-4FE1-467D-9F0E-C314051D452B.thumb.jpeg.241e3aa45c0a8ae22c356488f09199bf.jpeg

• Like 6

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

We first leveled our Ollie2 on a concrete surface, then mounted the battery operated Bluetooth unit inside the garage opening on the vertical forward panel.  That way we can switch it on/off easily before and after manipulating the rear stabilizer up/down switches located there.

Charlie.

• Like 6

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

Another option inside the closet:  the wall between the closet and the bathroom.

1122740512_LevelmateProonClosetWall.thumb.jpg.59825610620bfa1e7f6f0279057b04ab.jpg

The bath vent that runs through the roof is visible on the left side of the photo.  Because that wall between the closet and the bath is thin, to avoid penetrating the bathroom side of the wall, be sure to either:  (1) use washers, as I did or (2) attach it with double-stick tape or Velcro.

In hindsight, it would have been easier to use double-stick tape.

• Like 8

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

I mounted mine same location as Kirk did in photo above.   I used 3M VHB tape as  I was worried screws would come thru the wall.   I had concerns it would sag after awhile but it has been holding position for over a year.  I just use the internal battery power supply, but it’s awkward to replace the batteries.   The bath wall is easier to get to for battery changes.

• Like 7

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

I mounted mine right above the switches just inside the door.  It makes it easy to reach up and turn it on and it is out of the way otherwise. I used double-sided tape to attach it. 

Oliver electrical panel.jpeg

• Like 2

2021 Elite II Twin Bed Hull #1023 - Kimba  | 2015 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 5.0L V8

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 10:49 AM, Rivernerd said:

Roger:

Where did you obtain the dial dimmer switches for the Porch Lights and Outside Courtesy lights?

I'd like to know that too.

• Like 2

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Roger... is it really necessary to be able to turn it on/off ?    My understanding is that it "goes to sleep" until you use the app on your phone, which then wakes it up again when it's time to use it.   Advantages for the Pro + (over the original model)  seem to be almost 3 times the battery (240mAh vs 620mAh), ability to run off of a micro USB port, and compatable to Apple Watch.   Other wise it seems that they both work and function exactly the same.

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

5 hours ago, Dave and Kimberly said:

Roger... is it really necessary to be able to turn it on/off ?    My understanding is that it "goes to sleep" until you use the app on your phone, which then wakes it up again when it's time to use it.   Advantages for the Pro + (over the original model)  seem to be almost 3 times the battery (240mAh vs 620mAh), ability to run off of a micro USB port, and compatable to Apple Watch.   Other wise it seems that they both work and function exactly the same.

I have my Level Mate mounted in the rear attic compartment near the TV switch outlet. I wanted to mount it with screws per the instructions but in a hidden area. It works good there. As far as battery life...I have replaced the original battery once in almost two years. I keep the unit on during trips and off while not on a trip. It does go to sleep.

Steve

2021 LE2

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I, like others, mounted the Levelmate in the closet, because it is about halfway between the driver’s seat in the tow vehicle and the stabilizer switches in the rear of the trailer (I've found that signal strength is generally fine with this location).  The Levelmate is installed with 3M Command velcro strips.  Secure, no screw holes, removable.

It’s easy enough to reach into the closet and turn the Levelmate on.  But the batteries are rather short-lived, so I would run back to the trailer and turn it on prior to parking (and leveling).   Problem is, it is too easy (at least for me) to forget to turn off the Levelmate.  Result: dead battery, yet again.

So I decided to hard-wire the unit.  Theoretically the unit could be wired directly to the trailer’s 12V system, but I used the USB cable that came with the Levelmate instead.  This requires an accessible USB charger; the closest existing USB charger was too far away.  Thus, wiring the Levelmate consisted of installing a USB charger within a cable-length of the Levemate unit.  As there was no really good location in the closet (criteria being a wall with accessible space behind), I installed it in the galley cabinet (referred to hereafter simply as “cabinet”) above the microwave cabinet.  

I also wanted the Levelmate on easily for driving (so that it is ready to use when I want to park), but off when not driving or parking.  So I connected the Levelmate to the same circuit as the rear camera.  On when driving, off when parked.  The Levelmate draws very little current (or the 2032 or 2050 batteries in the Levelmate, depending on model, would be insufficient), so I was not very concerned about overloading the camera circuit.

There are many (and probably some better) ways of wiring the Levelmate, but here’s what I did: 

1.     I began by removing the screws securing the main Oliver switch panel to the wall (giving access to the wires behind it) and the port cover in the cabinet.

2.     The rear camera switch has 3 wires attached: 2 tan wires and one yellow wire.  In my trailer (2021 LE2), the bottom tan wire is continuous 12V, the middle tan wire is 12V only when the camera switch is on, and the yellow wire is ground.  I verified this with a circuit tester, using metal in the exterior lower refrigerator vent as a ground.  (It would be SO GOOD to have an electrical diagram for the trailer!)

3.     I removed the closet light, and used a 36” zip tie (3/8” width) to fish between the closet-light hole and the cabinet port.  I tried fishing with 2 different wires (which were either too stiff and it would get stuck, or to thin and would bend); the zip tie was sufficiently stiff yet flexible, and I could work it though without getting caught on reflectix insulation.

4.     Once I confirmed my ability to fish, I drilled a 1 1/8” hole in a part of the cabinet that did not have wires behind it, and another hole for the USB cable (3/8”, I think).  Similarly, I drilled a hole in the closet (1/2”, I think) for the other end of the USB cable.  The hole sizes for the cable are different because the cable ends are different sizes.  

5.     I taped the small end of the USB cable to the zip tie, and pulled it from the closet to the cabinet.  I placed a rubber grommet in the smaller hole, and a rubber bushing in the larger fiberglass hole, to protect the cable from chafing in the fiberglass holes.  In both cases, I cut the grommet and bushing on a bandsaw to slip them over the cable.

6.     I then spliced the tan middle tan wire on the camera switch with a quick-splice snap-wire connector, to which I connected a shrouded spade connector attached to about 10” of 16 ga wire, which in turn got connected with a shrouded connector to the positive terminal of a Blue Sea 2.1A USB charger (https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Charger-Socket/dp/B0082CXEI8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3QD4BPGGKK7GE&keywords=blue%2Bsea%2B2.1%2Busb&qid=1685469544&sprefix=blue%2Bsea%2B2.1%2Busb%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-1&th=1).  There are cheaper charging ports available, but the others in the trailer are this brand, and Blue Sea previously responded quickly when a charging port in the trailer failed.  The negative charger terminal was similarly spliced to the yellow wire on the switch.

In conclusion, I’m happy with this solution to a first-world problem—it lets me use the Levelmate app when pulling (or backing) into a site without having to first run back and turn the Levelmate unit on.

• Thanks 5

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

The pictures did not come on my post above (ugh!).  Here is another try.  You'll just have to imagine that the photos are appropriately placed with relevant text.   

B0800BF6-63DB-45B3-B74C-20D0D1989F74.png

2E2764DC-8EB0-483E-8EEA-8443BF87B9E6.png

685BD8C3-575A-48B6-A8AE-8B411BAA2559.png

24F08914-0D5F-401F-A721-936BBEACC2F3.png

8393F1E8-0106-4324-BE1A-E44BBDC527AB.png

4D904E9D-228C-4699-9735-4F6B54969AE9.png

8099B1C0-F2D9-4517-AE38-B2B5BAA38348.png

E2C4009E-D78E-44C7-8240-74695DD26AD0.png

31182173-3B06-437E-974F-5E2E38B7F4E7.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

Originally I mounted in back of closet and it was hard to reach.

I moved it to the outside of the closet door just below fire extinguisher mounted with double stick Velcro.  

I can reach it while standing outside with the door open to turn on/off when setting up camp.  I can pull off easily to change batteries.

IMG_0509.thumb.jpeg.5081338027ac3204a67a2817fd659f14.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

I mounted my LevelMate Pro+ in the corner, above the main switch panel. I piggybacked off of the street-side awning switch. The top (negative) and bottom (positive) wires are always hot. I tried following the manual as to how to use wire it permanently, using the white and black wires in a USB cord. But after a few hours fiddling, and cutting up two different USB cords, I could *not* get 12V DC to the unit. I did find a pair of wires that deliver 12V, but they were not the two that connect with the micro USB plug on the printed circuit board. Frustrating!

I ended up gutting a USB plug that fits in a lighter socket, soldering the positive and negative wires onto the appropriate terminals, then used heat-shrink tubing to encapsulate the assembly, including the USB-A plug. I connected the two wires to the awning switch, plugged the other end of the USB cord into the LevelMate, and good to go!

(The LevelMate is level. The perspective of the photo throws it off)

IMG_9255.thumb.jpeg.a2c5f1d2ac68d22636fc5c3dee75ddd5.jpeg

Plenty of room for more wires...  🤪

IMG_9219.jpeg.d53257501a4e16565eb7653a4d3ee17c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

If the unit is not secured using screws, how do you know that it is still level after changing batteries? Do you relevel the trailer each time? It seems as if screw mounting would be most trouble free in the long run.

I wish the small aftermarket manufacturers would use better looking and smaller boxes, most I have seen are ugly, kludgy in operation and way to large, like a project box from Radio Shack. The LevelMate looks crude with the protruding screw ears…. Here is the Fridge Defend box:

IMG_2280.jpeg.967461b3c6835fbdb1d146cdb14d1999.jpeg

Isotherm gets it “almost” right, it is very slick, except for the bizarre curved smily face shape and the flashlight bright LED numbers, which I had to cover.

IMG_2281.thumb.jpeg.d3ac7a84526058435bfa709193f6c60a.jpeg

How satisfied are owners with the LevelMate appearance? Maybe a white version would work better, or just paint the box….

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Love 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 6/1/2023 at 1:53 PM, Fritz said:

The pictures did not come on my post above (ugh!).  Here is another try.  You'll just have to imagine that the photos are appropriately placed with relevant text.   

There is an Edit function on the drop down box, click the “3 Dots” symbol to reveal it. You can edit any post that you made regardless of its age. For example:

IMG_2282.thumb.jpeg.71d36534a73e5f987b3a648ba5b9b360.jpeg

It is actually quite easy. Most problems with picture are due to slow Internet connections, like using cell in a sketchy cell zone.

I do wish there was a way for a poster to delete his post.

Thanks for posting them, the more pics the better IMHO.

John Davies

Spokane WA 

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

4 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

How satisfied are owners with the LevelMate appearance?

That is one reason I placed ours in the closet.  It is not real attractive, but we never see it unless we are looking for it, mounted above door height, on the interior closet wall.

You raise a good point about securing it with screws, rather than Velcro or double-stick tape, to avoid  having to re-level the trailer.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Our totally free iPhone bubble level app. It works excellent every time . 👍🏻😊

IMG_2462.thumb.jpeg.6a2c40264f2980213737305518bf6916.jpeg

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 7 months later...

Is everyone on this topic satisfied with the performance of the LevelMate Pro?

Thinking about purchasing LevelMate Pro+

I want to thank everyone for all the mounting suggestions.

Best Regards,

Allen

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull # 867,    Shiloh, IL

2022 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0L Diesel, CarbonPro

IMG_0398.jpeg