First Voyage: Hohenwald to California (literally, first time I towed a travel trailer)

RichM

Thanks for the review RichM! I enjoyed reading it. Sounds like your delivery and your trip home went well. Congratulations!
Carrie and leave on our first longer camping trip this week, traveling to Arizona for a couple of weeks. Then, in first two weeks of May, a couple of weeks in northern  California along the coast and a bit in the wine country. 
Enjoying the journey! 
Kirk

• Like 3

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

5 hours ago, RichM said:

9. People LOVED asking me about my Oliver.  Gas stations, rest stops. Wal-Mart (shopping, not camping).  I stayed at this KOA Resort in Tuscan AZ with full-timers in these massive Diesel Pushers - they stopped to ask me about My Oliver!!  You'll feel good towing this behind you.  For those in the know, they know quality.

I have had many similar experiences with interest from all types of campers. Most had never heard of Oliver. Once I was pulling out of a gas pump and had someone pull up directly in front of us in a pickup truck, blocking our exit and forcing me to brake. He wanted to know about the OEII. I answered his questions, and did not admonish him over his inappropriate action and dangerous driving.

• Like 2
  • Care 1

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

Congrats on your new Ollie!!

Checklists have saved me in just the few times we have been out, setting up and taking down,

Our first multi-day stay was at a COE in the northern part of Mississippi and we got a spot right on the water. About 30 minutes after we get setup a nice man came paddling up in a kayak and asked us how we liked our Oliver. Turns out he used to work for Oliver a few years back, He even offered assistance if we needed any during that weekend.

• Like 5

Vincent, Ohio | 2022 Elite ll, Hull #1182, 2014 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Towing PKG

ALKYMSOHTNWVsm.jpg

52 minutes ago, GraniteStaters said:

do not rush through your checklist

And don't let anyone distract you. That includes spouses and dear friends. I have a rule: DON'T TALK TO ME WHILE I'M HITCHING UP/UNHITCHING. I've damaged campers by breaking that rule. Luckily, nothing serious and no injuries, but still...

We were at a campground where a guy dropped his new fifth wheel on his head because his son came over and was talking to him while unhitching. He went out in a helicopter and the police rinsed the blood out of the back of his truck so his family wouldn't have to deal with it when they came back. (This was also an abject lesson on the importance of always chocking your trailer wheels before you unhitch.)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators
8 hours ago, RichM said:

3. Get a sewer house wrench.  One of those Camco ones.  Perhaps it was the temperature, but I found it very hard to get the hoses on and off.

If you are talking about attaching and detaching the sewer hose from the trailer, there is no need.  Leave it attached.  Just cap it and put the hose in the bumper.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks, Rich! Our new Oliver will be our first travel trailer with electric, plumbing, or gas. Maintenance on the square drop is pretty basic! Plus, this will be 12 feet longer than what I have now.

We have two nights booked at Camp Oliver and two at David Crockett State Park before leaving the area. Good to know that there is a dump station at Oliver. I had visions of me trying to learn Sunday morning at DCSP with everyone in the campground lined up waiting on me!! 😬

• Like 4

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators

@Steve Morris, I've taught a bunch of people to use dumps. But, I encouraged them to just put clean into the toilet/ black tank. Cleaner water everywhere. 

Much nicer experience if there's a first timer mistake. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

9 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

had visions of me trying to learn Sunday morning at DCSP with everyone in the campground lined up waiting on me!! 😬

Like Robin Williams in the movie “RV” 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

On 2/27/2023 at 12:37 AM, RichM said:

Hi Everyone,

This is a few weeks out of date as this pesky job keeps me busy.  But I wanted to share my experience while it is still fresh in my mind and hopefully some of these comments will help, especially for 1st time travelers.  I suspect a few of the veterans of the group will reflect fondly on these rookie mistakes.  In no particular order:

First Night:

1. Stay at the Oliver Travel Trailer campsite when picking up your Ollie.  I suggest an AM pickup so staff is still around during daylight hours.  The walk-through was awesome.  After years of looking at YouTube, it is very much different to be in your trailer.  It's actually YOURS! There is a very distinct "new-trailer" smell and it is even better than a "new-car" smell.  Lots to go over, and much of it gets lost when you are on your own.  I must have made the walk from my campsite to the office at least 10 to 12 times.  All of my questions immediately answered.  But some simple things that just needed to be fixed / corrected.  And a few "what is that sounds" and "is this normal"?  They were so patient and kind (especially Hannah).

2. It was COLD.  There was still ice on the trees but the heater did it's job. The cabinets and closets stayed pretty cold, but overall I was comfortable.  I do find in very cold temperatures the vents in the front of the trailer did not produce as much heat as the bed vents.  And those vents don't rotate.  I broke a blade and Hannah came out and replaced it in no time.

3. Get a sewer house wrench.  One of those Camco ones.  Perhaps it was the temperature, but I found it very hard to get the hoses on and off.

4. Practice dumping at the Oliver Campsite.  But you have to make sure the Ollie is off the hitch so gravity could do its job.  There was a fair amount of grey water still left when I got to the next campsite.  Luckily it was grey.

First Time Towing:

5. For some reason, I was worried about a Brake Controller.  Never using one before, I used a Bluetooth one on my Armada and it was pretty simple to change and configure.  Basically drive about 20-25 miles per hour, hit the button, and see how the trailer breaks slow down the truck.  Adjust as needed.  I did need to adjust this a bit throughout the trip - but it was easy once I got the hang of it.

6. With the Anderson hitch, It was a very comfortable tow.  I took it easy and went down Natchez Trace Parkway.  Not many cars on the road but it was perfect to ease me into the trip.  I mostly just stayed at KOA's as I felt it was easier to get pull through sites initially.  The second day I took State Roads to Texarkana, and by the 3rd Day I was comfortable on the Interstates.  I do recommend easing into it if this is your first time.  You'll get the feel and that nervousness wore off over the first few days.  I did stop and torque the tires as directed.  Made me feel like I knew what I was doing - even though I never owned a torque wrench in my life.

7. Yes - in freezing temperatures, don't hook up your hose.  Fill your Fresh Water tank.  The KOA host told me next time, I could also just open up my grey tank and key the water dripping all night.  But that leads me to my next experience - everyone along the way was very kind and helpful.

8. OK - this was a BIG ONE, probably the biggest safety issue but having a checklist matters.  When I arrived at my second campsite, I noticed the receiver pin was half-way out!  Follow a checklist!  How it got loose, I have no idea.  But luckily I had a pin-lock and was able to put it on.  

First Time Getting the Look:

9. People LOVED asking me about my Oliver.  Gas stations, rest stops. Wal-Mart (shopping, not camping).  I stayed at this KOA Resort in Tuscan AZ with full-timers in these massive Diesel Pushers - they stopped to ask me about My Oliver!!  You'll feel good towing this behind you.  For those in the know, they know quality.

Only issue ... my Stove Glass came loose.  Seems there are tiny bolts that hold the screws on and it most likely was not tight during the install from Dometic.  The road shook them off and I suspect they are somewhere in the bottom of the trailer.  I did find one in the drawer. 

Overall, I was a bit nervous.  But for you first timers, you can do it.  The team at Oliver has your back.  They want you to love your Ollie, they want you to enjoy it for years to come, and they want you to be safe.  I felt very much supported through the entire process.

Thanks again to all of you for your advise too.  Much appreciated.  Look forward to meeting some of you soon.  
Rich

Sounds like you pushed forward with confidence. Congratulations and thanks for the nice report. 

Even having travel trailer camped a lot in the past, a new rig to us will come with it's customary unfamiliarities.

Looks like you were more than successful. 

A couple of things I learned years ago as a newbie. 

Never be an early bird checking out on Sunday morning. The Type A's that live and work on a "Railroad schedule" are there waiting in line and you can feel the tension if you're unable to get in and out in 7.2 minutes. 

Also regarding checkout schedule, staying Sunday night and checking out on Monday or even Tuesday is very pleasant, especially if you enjoy a little quiet solitude. A lot of camp grounds and especially state parks are ghost towns by 1-2 pm on Sunday.

• Like 9

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

20 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

Thanks, Rich! Our new Oliver will be our first travel trailer with electric, plumbing, or gas. Maintenance on the square drop is pretty basic! Plus, this will be 12 feet longer than what I have now.

We have two nights booked at Camp Oliver and two at David Crockett State Park before leaving the area. Good to know that there is a dump station at Oliver. I had visions of me trying to learn Sunday morning at DCSP with everyone in the campground lined up waiting on me!! 😬

"Thanks, Rich! Our new Oliver will be our first travel trailer with electric, plumbing, or gas. Maintenance on the square drop is pretty basic! Plus, this will be 12 feet longer than what I have now."

You'll be pleasantly surprised at how much easier it will be to back up because it's longer.  Shorter trailers are harder.

John

• Like 5

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

Congrats Rich! Sounds like you are having a good time with your new Oliver. We had our share of noob moments! I could not remember how to turn on the water pump. I new about the one in the bath but I couldn't find the one in the cabin. Looked everywhere. Several times I checked the water levels in the fresh and gray but did not notice the water pump switch! When I found it I felt like an idiot! Another one was turning off those touch lights. I forgot they were touch lights and I was getting annoyed that every time I turned on the master switch all those lights would come on. Then it dawned on me, those are the touch lights. Once again, I felt like an idiot! 😁 I haven't found the need to unhitch the trailer when dumping the gray tank. I just put blocks under the front jack and bring the trailer up to where it starts to lift the back of the truck. The same thing I do when putting the Anderson fishtail on. To get that last little bit out, I just rock the trailer a bit and it usually comes right out.

• Like 7

Martin & Annie, Austin, TX

2022 LE2, Hull#1240: MightyMo 

Tow Vehicle: 2016 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8

• Moderators

If there are campers lined up behind us at the dump station, instead of rinsing the black tank, we just dump a bucket of water into the toilet with our normal mix of a cap full of Calgon water softener and a cap full of Dawn dish soap and do a complete black tank rinse at the next opportunity.  If I am patient while waiting in line, I expect the same from those behind us.  It also gives us a chance to start our dump procedure.  I do try to check out the dump site while I coming into the campground so I have an idea of what to expect when my turn comes.  I have even gone into a dump from the wrong direction when the slope of the drive would leave me tail high and it was beyond the reach of the front jack.  Most RV’s dump from the middle, so the slope may not be a challenge for them.  The main thing to remember is go slow and think it through.

Mossey

• Like 7

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, mossemi said:

I have even gone into a dump from the wrong direction when the slope of the drive would leave me tail high and it was beyond the reach of the front jack.

We frequently go in the wrong way too to get the front-high elevation correct.

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Glad you got off to a good start.  We have had strangers follow us down the road into our neighborhood as we return from a trip who want to talk about the Ollie as we are trying to get it parked in the driveway.

• Like 2
  • Wow 5

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

Congrats on your maiden voyage! We also get lots of looks and comments on our Oliver. One guy at the site across from us marched right up to me and said in a very stern tone, “you have the very best Travel Trailer made”! I said, “thanks”, and he followed with saying how he’s been RVing for 25 years and has owned several rigs, and that he knows what he’s talking about. I didn’t ask him why he didn’t own an Ollie 😂.

I don’t think you need to unhitch to dump. We own a Ram 1500 with air suspension, and we Just make sure our truck is in “jack mode” if we have to lower the jack to raise the Ollie (and the rear end of the truck) to let gravity drain the tanks (we never raise more than is needed to attach or detach our Anderson no-sway whale tail).

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

‘22 Ram 1500 4x4 Eco-diesel | ‘22 OTT LE2 hull # 1056 | Eastern VA

Towing a travel trailer is 99% commonsense, I would say all the questions you asked you are not feeling totally comfortable with towing yet.  I wouldn't say you are like many when you first start out towing, but in time this will come first hand. One thing I question is this is your first trip and it is a long one, most would recommend you start out with short trips (shakedown trips) and learn as you go, getting comfortable with tow and camping. I would also like to say here the correct tow vehicle can make your towing experiences good, or bad, buy that I mean, proper vehicle matched to the trailer is needed for safety and a good towing experience. I will say here expect to have situations come up that will cause you some problems, not serious problems, but those that come up when towing and camping in general and I would say don't expect your new trailer to give you some problems that you may not know how to correct then, this only comes from experiences and how to handle it at the time. I would suggest that you stay at Holenwald for a couple of days and get familiar with the trailer and operations,  plus it wouldn't even hurt to hookup  the trailer to the tow vehicle and take a 50 mile tow and help get the feel of it and return to Holenwald and re-set up again. This way Oliver Service Dept. can answer you concerns and handle anything that might come up. Camping takes more thought then many may think, it changes day by day and you have to learn to adjust.

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.