Sometimes being OCD pays off..

CRM

I'm obsessive about staying on top of pressures and doing visual inspections of each tire before, during and after every trip and today it paid off. Not sure if it was caused by a defect in the tire or by running over something, but going to stick with my OCD and change all 4.

Inspect your tires frequently!334541898_125237663821417_1095228720668249163_n.thumb.jpg.3831747d2fbccbcf0f6d7f2b3bfae72d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 7

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CRM said:

Inspect your tires frequently!

Great advice!  Glad you caught it before you got under way.  Do you use a TPMS?  Let me know where you find a deal!

Mossey

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

37 minutes ago, mossemi said:

Great advice!  Glad you caught it before you got under way.  Do you use a TPMS?  Let me know where you find a deal!

Mossey

No TPMS, though I probably should use them.. I just check them at each fuel stop. I'm getting to the stage where I want less electronic gadgets and motors in my life. 😄

Shopping them now, but leaning towards the Goodyear Endurance in ST225/75R15 based on reviews.

• Like 1

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

45 minutes ago, Frank C said:

What the heck!?!?  Are those the original tires on the Ollie?  Looks like a chunk of the tire was actually cut away.  

4 year old Hercules ST225/75R15's. Don't know what caused it but the Belts are definitely torn. The tire is deforming near the cut and is slightly out of round too.

• Wow 2

• Moderators

So glad that you caught the problem BEFORE it really turned into a problem.

Sure would have been easy to miss that tread on the inside - again, great work on seeing it.

Almost makes one wonder what was keeping that thing from letting go on you.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Wow! Great catch. OCD does pay off. Most of my friends and I have it but will not admit it. Safe travels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

John & Chris Dehne Manchester, MD.  2021 Elite II twin Hull# 901

“Fiberbeergrass” 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4  Life is good!

53 minutes ago, mossemi said:

Sounds like another vote for LT’s!

Mossey

Was leaning that way but got talked out of it by a couple of friends with more experience than I. Hope they're right!

• Moderators

If belt(s) on 4 year old tire failed, I'd replace them all, too. Prudent thing to do.

Good catch.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

With lt or st tires, always use a tpms system.  

We run still on st tires. Very happy.

As you will.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

TPMS is just as important to me as any other option we have.  Don't some of the newer trucks allow you to add sensors to your trailer that are read and displayed by the factory TPMS? My old Tundra does not, so we use a TST system.  Worked great to/from Alaska.  Fortunately, we never had any issues with the truck or Ollie tires.

I know the LT versus ST arguments have been made previously, but the factory Cooper tires have done much better than I expected.  Would have preferred the previous years Michelins and I wouldn't hesitate to install high quality LT tires again.

• Like 3

If you choose ST tires, stick with the Goodyears, although I also had good luck with Maxxis on 3 trailers. There are lots of off-brand ST tires on the market, commonly referred to as "China-bombs" by other RVers. Most have a reputation for poor quality and many people have reported catastrophic blowouts and tread separations.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

1 hour ago, katanapilot said:

TPMS is just as important to me as any other option we have.  Don't some of the newer trucks allow you to add sensors to your trailer that are read and displayed by the factory TPMS? My old Tundra does not, so we use a TST system.  Worked great to/from Alaska.  Fortunately, we never had any issues with the truck or Ollie tires.

I know the LT versus ST arguments have been made previously, but the factory Cooper tires have done much better than I expected.  Would have preferred the previous years Michelins and I wouldn't hesitate to install high quality LT tires again.

Many of the newer tow vehicles are able to monitor trailer TPMS on the dash with the truck's tires simultaneously. Our F350 was ordered with the trailer TPMS package. Once the Ollie arrives, I will install and program them to the truck for a full view of all tires. 

With the change to 5200# axles on the 2023 LE2's, they have switched back to 15" ST tires from the factory. I'm okay with it. The key to ST's or any tire for that matter is stay away from the Chinese knock off tire bombs and watch your pressures. Also a lot of RV trailers run very close if not over the load ratings of the supplied tires and axles once loaded for the road. Oliver doesn't have that problem. 

• Like 4

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

• Moderators

@Ollie-Haus, I agree..

I  don't think Oliver would ever put you on the road with marginal tires.  Like us,  they do a lot of research. 

We've run on st tires for 15 years. We like them, and are happy. LT is great,  but we feel solid with st. Never felt compelled to change up the original.  

We can spend days discussing the differences....

Gone are the days of the Goodyear   marathons/explodathonans. 

Life, and tires, evolve. Just no cheap wacko tires, and we're all good.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 3 weeks later...

We were coming back to the Great Southwest after a month on the road to Key West, and running Goodyear Marathon/Chinabombs we experienced our first and only (knock on wood) right rear tire failure.  We run TPMS, which worked perfectly, but a catastrophic failure happens in a couple dozen micro-secs.  On a smooth secondary road in good WX, didn't hear anything - but we felt a slight tug and pulled over to inspect.  What was left of the tire looked like a "ghost" - only belts and chunks of tread rubber, totally see-through.  Fortunately, the relatively slow speed (25-30mph) may have helped to save the wheel well and we didn't experience any significant secondary damage.  Limped over to a Discount Tire a few miles away and bought 5 Michelin RIBs.  Thanks to having a spare axle!  

• Like 7

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX