Lovin' it and Hatin' it

Dave Mazone

My Ollie (#1019) was coming up on it's 1-year anniversary and I began the annual maintenance routine (diy). I prepared about 3 months for a bearing check and repack, buying parts, tools, watching YouTubes, etc. You see, I ONCE worked on bearings in my high school auto shop...some 45+ years ago! I figured "I got this."

The day came (yesterday) and I laid out all my parts and tools and got to work. After the first 6 lug nuts and tire #1 came off, I came across this strange dust cover that said "Nev R Lube". I immediately got on the forum and searched such a thing I'd never heard of or seen. Lo and behold, Ollie apparently went to this system in 2022, the year that gave birth to #1019.

In a way I was relieved...I get half a day back (maybe more). But then, I now have a lot of parts and a few tools I won't, or can't use. I'll be selling them soon in our Ollie classifieds.

So, like buying all the wrong stuff for a newborn that gendered differently than expected, I'm still happy, yet saddened. I still love Ollie.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Dave Mazone said:

So, like buying all the wrong stuff for a newborn that gendered differently than expected, I'm still happy, yet saddened. I still love Ollie.

So - paint your hubs pink or blue and call it a day?šŸ˜‰

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

If that is all that happen your good. Job done! Ā Iā€™m a old school type of guy and donā€™t mind inspecting or repacking the bearings. I always feel the hubs at stops to make sure they are not getting hot witch can be a sign of a potential problem. Safe Travels

• Like 5

John & Chris Dehne Manchester, MD. Ā 2021 Elite II twin Hull# 901

ā€œFiberbeergrassā€ 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 Ā Life is good!

Ā 

55 minutes ago, John Dehne said:

I always feel the hubs at stops to make sure they are not getting hot witch can be a sign of a potential problem.

Even with Nev-R-Lube bearing cartridges installed (which we also have on our Hull #1291), it is still a good practice to check hub temperature at gas stops.Ā  Nev-R-Lube cartridges do sometimes fail.

I use a Klein infrared gun.Ā  If one hub is consistently hotter than others, I know I have a problem that must be checked out sooner rather than later.

• Like 7

Ā 

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:Ā  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• 2 months later...

Not the same thing, but I was going to have some outdoor speaker wires installed in my house that was a spec house we bought new. Ā The guys came out and looked around a bit and asked me what a plate that was hidden behind a downspout was for. Ā I had not noticed it before. Ā Turned out the house was already wired for outdoor speakers. Ā I embarrassingly paid them $50 buck for their time and laughed about it later. šŸ˜€

• Like 3
  • Haha 1