Truma A/C leak

John Welte

Hi all, we have #1290 and as far as I know, our hull was the first to get the Truma A/C.  We picked up on November 7.  No leaking until last week.  We live in Oregon so we have had rain since pick up.  We had about 6-7 inches of snow last week.  It's at the RV service center as I had a propane leak on the Truma heater.  After the snow melted, the service center went inside to check the propane leak and discovered about a pint to a quart of water that had leaked onto the floor.  None on the mattresses.  OTT is working on it.  The service center said there wasn't a foam seal between the roof and the A/C unit.  If you have a Truma A/C, you might want to check your trailer.  Hopefully an easy fix.  Our camping trip this week won't happen.  

John

• Like 2
  • Wow 9
  • Sad 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

8 hours ago, John Welte said:

After the snow melted, the service center went inside to check the propane leak and discovered about a pint to a quart of water that had leaked onto the floor. 

John:

We had a roof leak in the area of the Truma AC unit the night after we took delivery of Hull #1291, the second Elite II to have a Truma AC installed.  We found the leak after towing it to David Crockett State Park in Lawrenceburg, TN.  We reported the leak to the Oliver Service staff the following Monday, when we returned to Hohenwald for repairs.  They resealed all roof penetrations, which seemed to solve the leak issue.  We drove through a couple of snow and rain storms on our way home to Idaho, and found no further leakage.

It concerns me that there is no reported "foam seal" between the Truma AC unit and the fiberglass roof on your Hull #1290.

Notably, I have learned that Truma is now providing longer installation screws for the AC units to Oliver than the ones that were supplied with the early units.  I recommend you submit a ticket to Oliver Service requesting that the longer installation screws be sent to your RV service center so your Truma AC unit can be re-installed with those longer screws, and then resealed. 

I asked Oliver service to send to me a set of the longer installation screws, should I need them if later leaks appear.  I was advised that Truma will allow Oliver to send repair parts only to authorized RV service centers.  As a workaround, I asked Oliver Service to email to me a photo of the longer screws, with a description of dimensions and thread pitch, so I can source similar screws elsewhere (like Tacoma Screw).  I like to be prepared.

I look forward to your report on how the leak issue with Hull #1290 gets resolved, including whether a foam or butyl seal gets installed between the Truma AC unit and the roof!

• Thanks 3
  • Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Rivernerd said:

As a workaround, I asked Oliver Service to email to me a photo of the longer screws, with a description of dimensions and thread pitch

Did Oliver email you the info, if yes can you share it with us? 

• Like 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

1 hour ago, rich.dev said:

They are 5mmx120mm T30 flathead wood screws.  Photo below shows the bag they come in.

TRUMASCREW1.thumb.jpg.f7986e33fa752449f80e3f62335070fc.jpg

Next photo shows the length in inches.

TRUMASCREW4.thumb.jpg.b261560677c39667628e30e6c142aeeb.jpg

A Google search so far has revealed no sources for 5mmx120mm wood screws.  But, the approximate size in Imperial screws is #10x5".  Those are readily available in the USA. 

I figure if I have to address a leak around my Truma AC unit, I will buy some #10x5" screws and carefully try them. 

I do wish that Truma would not be so compulsive about providing repair parts only to authorized service centers.  I believe I am more capable, and careful, than most "knuckle draggers" employed by RV service centers these days, particularly in consultation with the excellent Oliver service team...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Oliver was made aware of the leak on Friday, so hopefully they're working on a solution.  The service center sent 10 pictures to OTT after they removed the inner A/C cover.  I also created a service ticket, which may be redundant as it's still in the shop after they fixed the gas leak to the Truma heater and OTT was made aware of it when someone was checking the gas leak and saw the water.

John

• Thanks 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

rich.dev:

FYI, you should not need the longer screws.  Your 2023 Elite II scheduled for delivery in mid-May will have the longer screws already installed.  The short screws were only used for the first few Truma AC units installed back in 2022.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

They are 5mmx120mm T30 flathead wood screws.  Photo below shows the bag they come in.

TRUMASCREW1.thumb.jpg.f7986e33fa752449f80e3f62335070fc.jpg

Next photo shows the length in inches.

TRUMASCREW4.thumb.jpg.b261560677c39667628e30e6c142aeeb.jpg

A Google search so far has revealed no sources for 5mmx120mm wood screws.  But, the approximate size in Imperial screws is #10x5".  Those are readily available in the USA. 

I figure if I have to address a leak around my Truma AC unit, I will buy some #10x5" screws and carefully try them. 

I do wish that Truma would not be so compulsive about providing repair parts only to authorized service centers.  I believe I am more capable, and careful, than most "knuckle draggers" employed by RV service centers these days, particularly in consultation with the excellent Oliver service team...

How are these screws used?  I can see a bolt and nut being used, but there's no wood in the trailer except in the drawers.

John

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

rich.dev:

FYI, you should not need the longer screws.  Your 2023 Elite II scheduled for delivery in mid-May will have the longer screws already installed.  The short screws were only used for the first few Truma AC units installed back in 2022.

I wonder when they noticed the need for the longer screws.  It looks like at least #1290 and #1291 got the shorter ones.  We hadn't noticed any leak until the half foot of snow melted.  We have had plenty of rainy days with no problems.  Is your trailer under cover in Idaho?

John

spacer.png

Just now, John Welte said:

How are these screws used?  I can see a bolt and nut being used, but there's no wood in the trailer except in the drawers.

I have no idea. 

I have not had a reason to examine the installation of our Truma AC unit because we have had no leaks since the Oliver Service team re-sealed the roof penetrations back in November. 

I note that Oliver installs many things to the fiberglass hull using wood screws, like the portholes.  Maybe the 5mmx120mm wood screws go through the outside housing of the Truma AC, screw into holes in the inside housing, and thus draw the two housings together, sandwiching the hulls between them?

I plan to figure out how it works if and when a problem arises.  But, if your experience educates you about how it all goes together, please share!

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

5 minutes ago, John Welte said:

Is your trailer under cover in Idaho?

Yes, since we returned home from Hohenwald last November.  It will not be out in the weather until mid-April, when we will be camping on the Oregon coast.  That could be a good test for the roof.

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Rivernerd said:

rich.dev:

Ah ok great thanks! 

• Like 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

2021 LE2

Below is another thought from the Aventa operation manual.

Not sure if iced up condensation drains would allow interior water leakage under certain circumstances.

When Truma installed my Aventa at Lakeland Fl, I asked if they would perform a water leak test. The answer was "NO". They relied on their installation practice to insure water tightness and had no reported problems.

Since December installation I have not suffered any leak issues.  It has not be subject to snow/ice.....just the liquid stuff.

I believe a Truma installation manual came with my unit.

I'll look for a diagram/parts list and post if found.

Steve

image.png.8745b4493f25450da1d5f7a3cc47dbc2.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• Moderators

The highlighted text makes me wonder if an internal drain system similar to the Dometic or a variation of it is used by the Truma, as well as condensate dripping onto the roof.  Is this a correct assumption?

Mossey

76B842CE-5CB9-4453-99C3-D48E22900EC8.jpeg.e37cd5d8aba021516e962820e20a3788.jpeg

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

@SteveCr

Thank you for answering my question!  So now I have more questions.  You may have already stated who did your installation or I may have forgotten who did it.  I’m guessing it was Truma in Orlando or Elkhart.  You have a 2021 LE2 which I assume came equipped with a Dometic A/C and the Dometic drain kit.  Did the Truma kit tie into the Dometic kit Oliver installed?  Thank you for your patience with my questions, but I will say that condensate draining onto the roof was/is more of a concern for me than the noise so many complain about.  And I think that’s why Baskin Robbins has so many flavors of ice cream, there’s something for everyone!

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, mossemi said:

@SteveCr

Thank you for answering my question!  So now I have more questions.  You may have already stated who did your installation or I may have forgotten who did it.  I’m guessing it was Truma in Orlando or Elkhart.  You have a 2021 LE2 which I assume came equipped with a Dometic A/C and the Dometic drain kit.  Did the Truma kit tie into the Dometic kit Oliver installed?  Thank you for your patience with my questions, but I will say that condensate draining onto the roof was/is more of a concern for me than the noise so many complain about.  And I think that’s why Baskin Robbins has so many flavors of ice cream, there’s something for everyone!

Mossey

Hello Mossey,

The Truma service center in Lakeland Florida installed my Aventa Eco last December.

It did replace the Dometic ac which had a Dometic drain kit.

The Truma drain kit connected to the existing Oliver drain hose so that Truma drains the same as the original Dometic design.

Water draining on the roof was a concern for me also....along with the noise.

On low fan speed the Truma much much quieter.....about 60 decibels on my inaccurate iphone app.

I jumped on the Truma installation discount and then ended up selling the Dometic (with the easy start removed) for $400.

So I tell myself I came out ok but time will tell....one thing is for sure....won't miss the Dometic.

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• Moderators

@SteveCr

10 hours ago, mossemi said:

You may have already stated who did your installation or I may have forgotten who did it.

My bad!  The answer was only 4 postings up.  Thank you once again for the information.

Mossey

Gald to hear you got a Truma installed . I made a appointment at the Elkhart Service Center back in when the install coupon can out for a March 13th install. Drove 5 hrs

down on Sunday to make the 9am on Monday and backed my trailer into the garage and went to the waiting room. Now I filled out the forms Ii first sighted up confirmed my date (twice) . Twenty minutes later i was told they won't do the installs only Oliver will do when and is should call Oliver service. At 3:20pm that day i get a email me telling me they won't do the installs on Olivers The next day I get a email saying they are doing aftermarket installs on some Rvs. I understand they don't want to undercut the clients (Oliver) but what bad deal for me, 10 hrs of drive time and fuel burn for a sorry. They made no effort to correct the problem other then saying sorry. Glad you got your installed , I was told they only have done one in Fl. that must be you.

• Wow 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, jim sroka said:

They made no effort to correct the problem other then saying sorry.

One of my concerns when opting for the Truma water heater, AC and furnace package in our Hull #1291 was service.  I knew that Truma will sell repair parts only to "authorized" RV service centers, including the Oliver "Mothership."  Living in the Idaho mountains, I do most of my own auto and RV repair work.  I figured that in the event of a failure, if I can't get Truma parts, I can just replace the entire Truma unit with, for example, a Fogatti water heater or RecPro air conditioner.

But, the way Truma "whipsawed" you by withdrawing the AC install offer after you had towed your Oliver 5 hours one way, takes customer disservice to an entirely new low. 

Thanks for posting about this outrage.  Anyone considering anything Truma, beware!

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

I had a water leak from my Truma AC in LE II #1304. It was right after our pick-up of our new trailer. It rained hard in TN at that time. We took it back to Oliver and they waterproofed the screws of the Maxxair fan and it fixed the problem. Water was running from the Maxxair between the hulls and to the Truma and drip, drip in the trailer.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Wow 2

Robert Youens

2023 LEII Hull #1304

TV 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi e-torque with tow package

1 hour ago, RustyMD said:

I had a water leak from my Truma AC in LE II #1304. It was right after our pick-up of our new trailer. It rained hard in TN at that time. We took it back to Oliver and they waterproofed the screws of the Maxxair fan and it fixed the problem. Water was running from the Maxxair between the hulls and to the Truma and drip, drip in the trailer.

#1290 is still in the shop.  It was in the RV dealership lot for about a month, so moving into the shop area is progress.  They will look at the MaxxAir too, in addition to the Truma AC, to hopefully move this trailer into usable condition instead of a decorative yard display.  They plan to remove the AC and try to figure out where the water was coming from.

John

• Sad 1

spacer.png

2 hours ago, RustyMD said:

You have precisely described the leak we found in our Hull #1291 the day after delivery.  When we took it back to Oliver, they also sealed the roof penetrations, which seems to have solved the leak issue.

I wonder if Oliver has yet figured out that all screws that penetrate the roof must be sealed during manufacturing to avoid leaks from the Truma AC unit?

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

The issues some owners are having with the Truma AC leaking is concerning. We are scheduled in May at Oliver Service for the swap out of our Dometic Penguin and install of a new Truma Aventa. Hopefully by the time our install happens these details will be corrected. We will need to be assured by Oliver Service that they have addressed any and all issues regarding the installation of the Truma Aventa. I have a call into Mike Sharpe.

Followng….

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

You have precisely described the leak we found in our Hull #1291 the day after delivery.  When we took it back to Oliver, they also sealed the roof penetrations, which seems to have solved the leak issue.

I wonder if Oliver has yet figured out that all screws that penetrate the roof must be sealed during manufacturing to avoid leaks from the Truma AC unit?

There are six screws that hold the Truma AC cover that don't have any rubber washer or sealant.  The screws sit in a small cup indentation about an inch across so any water on the roof will leak inside.  That's the first area leakage.  Seems crazy not to have some rubber washer under the screw head.  The MaxxAir screws weren't sealed either.  It's still in the shop waiting for Oliver to give guidance on how it should be remedied.  Frustrated that a new trailer first had the gas leak, then this water leak.  Hope to have it fixed before 2024.

John

• Wow 2
  • Sad 1

spacer.png