Oliver vs Escape

ozbarry

We were planning to buy an Escape 19 but recently started looking closer at the new Oliver. We've never owned a camper but having owned several sailboats, the Oliver interior has a certain appeal. How many of the new 22's have been built, would there still be bugs to work out? Do we need anti sway bars because they are pretty narrow and seem to sit high on the axles.

The 22 is about 1500lbs heavier, I wonder how noticeable the extra weight would be with our 2014 Grand Cherokee/tow package.

Anyone out there I can speak to for a referral?

Cheers

Barry

• Moderators

Which engine do you have with your GC towing package? I see it may pull from 6200 to 7400 lbs trailer weight, depending on engine configuration.. What does your owner's manual specify for your vehicle? The dry weight on the 22 footer is 4200 lbs, but with two 3500 lb axles, if you liked to haul a bunch of rocks, theoretically, it could weigh up to 7000 lbs ( very unlikely ).

Chances are good that you would be fine . . . Check your tow vehicle's manual!

Personally, I prefer a little overkill in the potential towing capacity. But that's just me.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Pete, we are fine with the tow capacity, 7200lbs and we have the new eco diesel. Not having owned a camper I guess there is this unknown factor between pulling a heavier trailer vs the Escape - I don't know how they build them so light. I'm figuring that the Oliver is a bit more aerodynamic so mpg would be the same.

Barry

• Moderators

Ozbarry,

(Sorry about the slow post approval...after a few, then your posts will appear immediately when you post them)

Eco diesel! You must have the new Ram 1500 diesel truck. Wow! That would be a most excellent tow vehicle for the Legacy Elite II with plenty of torque. Did you get the Ram Box option for storage space? I'd love to hear what sort of gas mileage you achieve when pulling a sleek 22'' Ollie down the road. 8-)

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Pete no we got the Grand Cherokee, it's the same as the new Ram, a sweet engine but all new with the tranny so fingers crossed we don't have any issues. Looking at the 22' next Thursday, if we buy one or an Escape we will post milage for sure, we get 29 now so hoping for at least 18, the Oliver is 1500lbs heavier but more steam lined so I think milage will be a wash.

Barry