Ford Tremor and LEII

Rolind

Hello all,

We have a delivery date scheduled for our LEII in the third week in May.  We obviously very excited.  Our tow vehicle will be an F250 Tremor, bone stock, no cap, and several hundred pounds in the bed and 300 pounds of occupants. What drop and shank size are those of you with Tremors running. I also ask, with some trepidation, whether Tremor owners are using the Anderson Hitch or not and if you are happy with your choice.  I understand the controversy over WD and sway control vs not, and really want to be careful not to stir that pot with my very first post.  Thanks in advance and happy trails!

• Like 5

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum.  I am not a F250 Tremor owner so I’ll let those members speak up at their opportunity.  I will say that I do not know for sure but we may have one member with a 3/4 ton truck that uses an Andersen WD hitch.  Most of the members using an Andersen do so because they are required to by the manufacturer in order to not exceed their tongue weight limitations.  It all depends on your Tow Vehicle’s limitations and each vehicle may be different.  And if you haven’t heard, there will be an Oliver Travel Trailer Owners rally at Lake Guntersville State Park in Alabama May 17-21.  If you are still in the area and have time to visit, please do so.  The campground may or may not be full at this time, but nearby State Parks may have availability.

Mossey

• Like 5

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Even though this topic of hitch height has been covered many times before here on the Forum - your best bet is to call or email your Oliver Sales Agent and ask - "how high off the level ground should my hitch ball be?".

Ford does not require you to have a WDH with the 250.  And, Olivers do not sway.

Bill

• Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

This is the ball mount and ball I’m using on my F-250.   I do not use the Andersen hitch.  It is not required or recommended for my F-250 specs.  I have used the Andersen hitch on previous tow vehicles that required it, and I’m much happier now having a truck that does not need it.  A “3/4 ton” truck like an F-250 is a great match for the Elite II.  Specs for my F-250 are 12,600 pounds towing, 1,250 lbs tongue weight, 3,334 lbs. payload rating, so a very nice safety margin with the Elite II.  My F-250 isn’t a Tremor edition though so your specs may be different.  My F-250 has a 2-1/2” receiver socket. The 3” drop ball mount puts the Oliver nice and level when towing with my truck.  

Draw-Tite 45322 3" Drop Ball Mount https://a.co/d/1tvHOA8

CURT 40056 Stainless Steel Trailer Hitch Ball, 10,000 lbs, 2-Inch Diameter, 1-1/4 x 2-5/8-Inch Shank https://a.co/d/5zjdsM5

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rolind said:

Hello all,

We have a delivery date scheduled for our LEII in the third week in May.  We obviously very excited.  Our tow vehicle will be an F250 Tremor, bone stock, no cap, and several hundred pounds in the bed and 300 pounds of occupants. What drop and shank size are those of you with Tremors running. I also ask, with some trepidation, whether Tremor owners are using the Anderson Hitch or not and if you are happy with your choice.  I understand the controversy over WD and sway control vs not, and really want to be careful not to stir that pot with my very first post.  Thanks in advance and happy trails!

Hello @Rolind and welcome to the forum. We are scheduled to pick up our LE2 in April. I too have a Ford Tremor and I asked salesman Josh White that question. He said the ball should be adjusted to approx. 24" from the ground to the top of the ball. 

I have the WeighSafe 6" adjustable drop hitch and with the ball adjusted to 24", the ball mount is about in the middle of the adjustment range.

https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/steel-weigh-safe-drop-hitch/

• Like 5

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

7 hours ago, Rolind said:

Hello all,

@Rolind

Hi Rolind,

First congrats on your delivery date and a big welcome to the Oliver forum and family. I think @Ollie-Haus did a fine job answering  your questions about drop and shank size. Our TV is a 1 ton 6.7 diesel F350 Tremor and we do not use or see a need for the Andersen WDH. The Ford Super duty trucks are extremely more than capable of handling, towing and most importantly safely stopping a OLEll fully loaded and ready to camp. We really like the diesel engine brake as it works amazing on long down hill mountain passes. It significantly reduces brake wear on our truck and our Oliver trailer brakes. Ford nailed it with the diesel engine brake in my experience.
My wife and I find our F350 Tremor extremely comfortable and very safe on long trips. The higher stance from the cockpit provides a really nice view when touring.
And please know you are not stirring the pot as you have a really fine more than capable powerful tow vehicle. You don’t want the dog ever wagging the tail, so personally, I think you chose very wisely.

Your delivery day will be here before you know it! So may I suggest you hit the books and learn all you can in Oliver University. This is a great resource provided by Oliver and will be a huge benefit to you when your special delivery day arrives.
Feel free to PM me if I can assist you in any way with other Tremor towing or Oliver ownership questions. 

Welcome!

Patriot 🇺🇸

• Like 6

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

20 hours ago, Rolind said:

What drop and shank size are those of you with Tremors running.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/tow-stow-adjustable-ball-mount

Hello - F-250 Platinum (non-Tremor) but I do have the 10,000 pound GVW package. I picked up on 3/8 and was worried my lowest setting was going to be too high but actually had to raise it one notch.

See the link above for the hitch I have. I chose the 2.5” shank so that there is no need for an adapter and I also chose the 5” drop with the dual-ball 2” and 2 5/16” inches. I chose the Bulldog 2 5/16” hitch on our Oliver.  Tows like a dream (no Anderson) and very happy with the setup.

Welcome!

Brian

• Like 3

On 3/16/2023 at 2:37 PM, Rolind said:

Hello all,

Congratulations, your pickup date will be here in no time. 

I'm also towing my LEII with a 2022 F250 6.7L Tremor.  I had Oliver upgrade my bulldog coupler to 2-5/16" went with the B&W Tow & Stow 3" shank and 7" drop.  You could get away with less drop for an Oliver but I've never had a problem with that being too much drop.

Here is a picture a grabbed this morning with both truck and trailer loaded to give you an idea how this combination sits.  

image.thumb.jpeg.ffcf39fe12e4bc1eea536bac4d6b4fec.jpeg

• Like 5

2022 Legacy Elite II  #1247 "Surface Interval"

2022 Ford F250 Tremor 6.7L

ALAZARFLGALAMSNMNCTNTXUTsm.jpg

52 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Congratulations, your pickup date will be here in no time. 

I'm also towing my LEII with a 2022 F250 6.7L Tremor.  I had Oliver upgrade my bulldog coupler to 2-5/16" went with the B&W Tow & Stow 3" shank and 7" drop.  You could get away with less drop for an Oliver but I've never had a problem with that being too much drop.

Here is a picture a grabbed this morning with both truck and trailer loaded to give you an idea how this combination sits.  

image.thumb.jpeg.ffcf39fe12e4bc1eea536bac4d6b4fec.jpeg

Beautiful! 😊👍🏻

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

We are towing with 2019 F250 6.7 Lariat , short box  4x4 18" wheels / slightly oversize tire 275/75/18. 

We have a 2" receiver and use the B+W height adjustable two ball option (2 and 2 5/16).  This hitch as served us very well because we also tow utility trailers and need the two ball sizes and height adjustability. The B&W has held up very well. No rust. You do need to service the adjustable pins with a bit of grease so they remain easy to slide out/in for adjusting height. This is especially needed if you spend time off paved roads. 

The very top position is perfect hight for our Oliver...  I believe this position has the top of the ball at 24" with the weight of the trailer on the hitch. 

We used an Anderson with our 1/2 ton but no need for the weight distribution hitch with the f250. We have towed thousands of miles without the Anderson in all conditions on and off paved roads. Our Anderson has been holding down the shop floor since we purchase the F250. 

(https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/B-and-W/BWTS10037B.html

• Like 2

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

On 3/18/2023 at 2:11 PM, Rolind said:

that is exactly the image in was looking for!

Cool hitch.  Could I use it to plow up my asphalt driveway?

🙂

GJ  

image.png.d1ab9406cec234d2e83fa05174361ac6.png

• Haha 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

🙂

I cut three inches off the  bottom of my Andersen mount, I knew it would be an issue but I kept putting it off, until I nailed the pavement hard at a steep driveway, that shook the frame badly and jarred my fillings. That sort of extension is pretty common on HD trucks, but ideally there should be minimal steel hanging down so low.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, Geronimo John said:

🙂

GJ  

I suppose if you have a low clearance truck you could.  Since that OP asked about a Tremor that isn't really an issue but thanks for your $0.02.

2022 Legacy Elite II  #1247 "Surface Interval"

2022 Ford F250 Tremor 6.7L

ALAZARFLGALAMSNMNCTNTXUTsm.jpg

6 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I cut three inches off the  bottom of my Andersen mount, I knew it would be an issue but I kept putting it off, until I nailed the pavement hard at a steep driveway

Yea, me too.  Mine was a sheet of recycled military PSP (Perforated Steel Planking armoring a ditch crossing.  Thank God Ollie was not under tow that day.  Needless to say I got out the hack saw and significantly increased my hitch clearance.

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg