Jump to content

Protective Edge Strip for Spare Tire Cover


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

After replacing the protective strip around the “dog house” LPG tank cover, I realized I ordered enough for the spare tire cover.  So after removing the cover when accessing the tire, I can place it flat on any surface without dinging the edge on sharp rocks or debris.  It may seal the compartment a bit better now also.

C0B7017C-B57C-4BF6-A984-E076E8C4695F.jpeg

 

Nice job!
Here is a where you can ordered the edging off Amazon. 😊I used this on the edge of the dog house aka propane tank hood as well. And decided to use it on the fiberglass edges of the twin beds. 

7C035AC6-6785-453D-A303-FA1A7318485B.thumb.png.d11b6016e757cf7e9d409c52a79d3e6a.png

  • Thanks 5
  • Like 5

ALARCOCTFLGAILKSKYMEMDMAMONHNMNYNCOKPASC

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka- “Beauty & the Beast” - 2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are a few pics of the mod mentioned above -

753E39C5-250B-42A2-A711-1230B6703E6E.thumb.jpeg.5b3b694ccba997cb4164087bbc07d020.jpeg

Dog house 

 

Edge of bed rails. 

03B67472-80A7-41F2-8B23-5EEBE322B9B9.thumb.jpeg.e7a13146eae33058e9edc7e1349b67de.jpeg3F5FDF52-8ED8-4746-A42D-08C836BD524C.thumb.jpeg.f76a7575e136b762caa2d95248587d74.jpeg

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 9

ALARCOCTFLGAILKSKYMEMDMAMONHNMNYNCOKPASC

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka- “Beauty & the Beast” - 2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MAX Burner - Nice job, neat and tidy. I guess Oliver has to skip small visual detail improvements due to cost and the extra labor involved.

I protected my cover edges by wrapping the entire unit in stretch wrap, and storing it permanently on a garage shelf 😉

I love your shop floor.

John Davies

Spokane WA

  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Stevon said:

Did you use any adhesive with this or just a friction fit?

You won’t need adhesive, this trim grips extremely well. No issues with it coming loose at all. 

  • Like 5

ALARCOCTFLGAILKSKYMEMDMAMONHNMNYNCOKPASC

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka- “Beauty & the Beast” - 2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Stevon said:

Did you use any adhesive with this or just a friction fit?

This type of edging has a spiral steel spring inside, no glue needed unless the material being edged is too thin.

John Davies

Spokane WA

  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Patriot said:

You won’t need adhesive, this trim grips extremely well. No issues with it coming loose at all. 

How many linear feet did you use for the beds, dog house and spare tire cover?  I am guessing something like 30 feet.  Thanks.

John 

spacer.pngJohn and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. 

2022 Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, John Welte said:

How many linear feet did you use for the beds, dog house and spare tire cover?  I am guessing something like 30 feet.  Thanks.

John 

Hi John,

It’s been awhile since I did this mod, I think I ordered 20 or 25’. I did not put this edging on the rear spare tire cover only the bed rail edges and dog house. It would seem that 30’ would get the job done. 
 

Partriot🇺🇸

  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

ALARCOCTFLGAILKSKYMEMDMAMONHNMNYNCOKPASC

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka- “Beauty & the Beast” - 2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Immediately got on Amazon and ordered it. I love this forum. In addition to helping me fix problems I have, it teaches me about problems I didn't even know I have. Yea!

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, this plastic edging treatment is very useful.  Now that I've read Patriot's post, I wish I got more - I will anyway this stuff is cheap from Amazon.  Totally a friction fit, FYI.

Ollie On!

  • Like 4

spacer.png

Art, Diane, & Magnus (Aaarrf!)

  • 2022 TUNDRA/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", Twins; 3x Battle Borns; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2023 at 5:21 PM, Patriot said:

Here are a few pics of the mod mentioned above -

753E39C5-250B-42A2-A711-1230B6703E6E.thumb.jpeg.5b3b694ccba997cb4164087bbc07d020.jpeg

Dog house 

 

Edge of bed rails. 

03B67472-80A7-41F2-8B23-5EEBE322B9B9.thumb.jpeg.e7a13146eae33058e9edc7e1349b67de.jpeg3F5FDF52-8ED8-4746-A42D-08C836BD524C.thumb.jpeg.f76a7575e136b762caa2d95248587d74.jpeg

 

 

Patriot - just curious, what material are you using for the mattress vapor barrier?  We are looking for something that really works well, haven't been successful yet.

  • Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, & Magnus (Aaarrf!)

  • 2022 TUNDRA/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", Twins; 3x Battle Borns; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The product Oliver sells as an option is called Hypervent.  We've had it for 3 years and it's keep our mattresses dry from any condensation.

It's sold directly from HyperVent but you might be able to get it through Oliver Service.

Not cheap -  you'll need 14' to do 2 twin beds... ($189.00)

https://www.hyperventonline.com

Hypervent is only sold by phone. Call 206-783-1696 to Order.
Genuine Hypervent is $13.50 per linear foot.

image.thumb.png.08bd55c98adbb843df9938f50f2b83b8.png

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

Amazon Oliver Outfitters Guide:  https://amzn.to/2mAAgPO

ALAZCAFLGAIDILINKSKYLAMIMNMSMOMTNENMNCOR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Yeah, this plastic edging treatment is very useful.  Now that I've read Patriot's post, I wish I got more - I will anyway this stuff is cheap from Amazon.  Totally a friction fit, FYI.

Please do confirm the number of feet to do them all.  

Thanks

GJ

  • Like 2

Tug:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker    ///   2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed, DYI LiFePO4, Houghton 

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been looking for something similar to this to put around the upper interior cabinets, I’ve gouged my fingers so many times on the fiberglass edge taking things in and out of the cabinets. 
I think this would be too thick for the doors to close??….. but I’m going to definitely grab some for around the bed rails, dog house and spare tire cover. 
 

  • Like 6

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Please do confirm the number of feet to do them all.  

Thanks

GJ

I ordered an initial 20 feet for the spare tire cover and only needed 13126165938_Screenshot2023-03-29at09_22_01.thumb.png.c40310c9b86165471df1626a01142cea.png feet for the job.  The "dog house" LPG cover edging was in good repair, so I actually had enough for that if it was necessary.  The bed edges (which is a brilliant idea on Patriot's part, IMHO) will take 12 feet to cover -  I've ordered 10 more feet from Amazon.  Hope that helps...

  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, & Magnus (Aaarrf!)

  • 2022 TUNDRA/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", Twins; 3x Battle Borns; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Katjo said:

I’ve been looking for something similar to this to put around the upper interior cabinets, I’ve gouged my fingers so many times on the fiberglass edge taking things in and out of the cabinets. 
I think this would be too thick for the doors to close??….. but I’m going to definitely grab some for around the bed rails, dog house and spare tire cover. 
 

Good idea, Katjo!  I'm on travel now, when I get home this weekend, I'll check the cabinets to see if it might work there and let you know...

  • Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, & Magnus (Aaarrf!)

  • 2022 TUNDRA/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", Twins; 3x Battle Borns; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Katjo said:

I’ve been looking for something similar to this to put around the upper interior cabinets, I’ve gouged my fingers so many times on the fiberglass edge taking things in and out of the cabinets. 
I think this would be too thick for the doors to close??….. but I’m going to definitely grab some for around the bed rails, dog house and spare tire cover. 
 

I don't know the exact type of tape that they use, but on fiberglass boats I've seen a cloth tape applied to the raw edges of fiberglass openings. It would need to have a substantial adhesive backing. I'm thinking possibly a fiberglass cloth tape. To find the right thing may be a trial and error process. 

Quick search found this. It's not cloth but is designed to hold up to moisture exposure and permanent use. 

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Decorative-Sealant-Bathroom-Protection/dp/B0BC4NL2XJ/ref=sr_1_70_sspa?crid=3QUZHKFMEOTNV&keywords=edge%2Btape&qid=1680097392&s=industrial&sprefix=edge%2Btape%2Cindustrial%2C96&sr=1-70-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQUEwQzNZWDdBVkFQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTU4NTIyM04xMjFYVFI4Qkw5TiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODgyMTg5MlkzV0lZS0UzNEpXOCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

  • Like 5

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2023 at 2:28 AM, MAX Burner said:

Good idea, Katjo!  I'm on travel now, when I get home this weekend, I'll check the cabinets to see if it might work there and let you know...

That will be great, thank you! 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2023 at 9:47 AM, Ollie-Haus said:

I don't know the exact type of tape that they use, but on fiberglass boats I've seen a cloth tape applied to the raw edges of fiberglass openings. It would need to have a substantial adhesive backing. I'm thinking possibly a fiberglass cloth tape. To find the right thing may be a trial and error process. 

Quick search found this. It's not cloth but is designed to hold up to moisture exposure and permanent use. 

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Decorative-Sealant-Bathroom-Protection/dp/B0BC4NL2XJ/ref=sr_1_70_sspa?crid=3QUZHKFMEOTNV&keywords=edge%2Btape&qid=1680097392&s=industrial&sprefix=edge%2Btape%2Cindustrial%2C96&sr=1-70-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQUEwQzNZWDdBVkFQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTU4NTIyM04xMjFYVFI4Qkw5TiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODgyMTg5MlkzV0lZS0UzNEpXOCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

That’s a good idea. It does have to be thin like this so it might work. Thank you 

  • Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2023 at 12:28 AM, MAX Burner said:

Good idea, Katjo!  I'm on travel now, when I get home this weekend, I'll check the cabinets to see if it might work there and let you know...

KATJO:  See pic below.  The edge guard would totally work for your application.  The cabinet door closes without obstruction.image.thumb.jpeg.8622c19181e2738c6876bbf290b32da0.jpeg

You may need to heat up the edge guard material with a heathen to make it easier to go around the corners.  Good luck - post pix of your upgrade!

 

Cheers,

  • Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, & Magnus (Aaarrf!)

  • 2022 TUNDRA/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", Twins; 3x Battle Borns; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The protective tape Oliver uses around the pantry edges would be a good choice - haven't looked for it but I bet it's available on Amazon.

Charlie.

  • Like 4

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...