Ash grove

trumpetguy

Has anyone camped at this CG near Brevard, NC?

We are going to be in the Asheville area again this Summer and are looking at several locations.

Already set for Lake Powhatton and Mount Pisgah.

Any suggestions for the Boone, NC area?

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

• Moderators

Have not camped at Ash Grove, so can't help you there. Brevard is such a lovely little town... but we have mostly done day trips to visit.

As to the Boone area, there is a Blue Ridge campground at Linville Falls, not that far from Boone. Boone is the regional center, the University, and very busy for its size. (Very hospitable, and often very crowded, if anything is going on at the U.) We have stopped at the Linville Falls cg for a walk, but not stayed in the cg. The sites are pretty much the same at all the Blue Ridge government campgrounds. The Viaduct, the last part of the Parkway to be built, is very close by, and certainly scenic. Lots to do and see and eat in Banner Elk, which is just a beautiful little town. I love the Lowes grocery store there. Good wine selection, too.

Quite a few years ago, several of us camped together at Vance Toe River Lodge, at Plumtree, some thirty or forty miles from Boone, and maybe 15 or 20 to Banner Elk and Grandfather Mountain, another favorite. It's family owned, has a restaurant, and like many in the area, kind of built on the side of a hill. The employees were great. The cg itself was quite nice, lots of trees, but some of the sites were really small. The six of us camping together didn't mind being side by side by side, by side... as that's why we gathered there. Other larger sites were a little bigger.

Haven't been there in five or six years. The bathrooms were very clean, but older, then. And unheated, in October, which was a bit chilly that year. The owners and staff pretty much bent over backwards to make sure everyone had a good time, and for that reason, I'd recommend them, not necessarily for the smallish sites. At that time they had Sunday brunch at the restaurant at the lodge, and it was awesome. Check out their recent reviews. They used to have a zip line, and it was fun to watch the kids flying from tree platform to tree platform, above our heads.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

trumphetguy,

We should talk in more detail while in GA next month. I know nothing about Ash Grove, but Davidson River is not bad and there are a number of free spots (boondocking) not far up into the National Forest just off 276.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

A good source of campground reviews can be found at:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com

It gives you a general idea of good and bad things about the park. it is easy to sport the delve serving, over-the-top reviews by owners, etc and to spot the disgruntled individuals that require everything to be perfect. I find most reviews useful, though.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Thanks all. Sherry I did see Davidson River and we plan to take a look while near Brevard. The gorge is our main reason for camping near Boone so that is all good information.

Topgun, I look forward to visiting while in Hiawassee for the rally.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

We enjoy camping at Pisgah Campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) during the summer to get out of the heat in the lower elevations. They don't have electricity on the sites, but have nice showers.

Please forgive me for taking too many photos.

Taken from the BRP while camping at Mt. Pisgah:

Shrimp on the Barbi at Mt. Pisgah:

Also enjoy camping at a privately owned campground close to Linville Falls NC. Their rest rooms/showers are very clean and most sites are shady.

Linville Falls NC:

Grandfather Mountain NC:

If you stop in Blowing Rock NC, this is a nice place to visit, too:

Christa's make fresh bread daily, but not open on Sunday. Located at intersection of NC Rt. 181 & BRP, between Linville Falls and Boone.

Stone Mountain SP NC at Roaring Gap is another nice campground:

Bill #75 LE2

Here's another place to visit between Asheville & Boone NC, not far from the BRP and Linville Falls Trailer Lodge Campground, took these shots last week from Wisemans View NC and Old NC 105:

Linville Gorge NC (Grand Canyon of the East):

Shortoff Mountain NC, part of Linville Gorge:

Hawksbill Mountain, part of Linville Gorge:

Bill #75 LE2

• 2 months later...

Mount Mitchell SP NC between Asheville NC and Boone NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway. There is tent only campground there, but still a nice place to visit with a restaurant close to the summit. When it's hot in the lower elevations, great place to cool off.

Took these shots today:

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2