Walk-in Door Seal - leaks like a sieve

The main walk-in door is, and likely has been, my big leaky issue this hold time, not the window on the door.  The window is good now for sure since I re-sealed it.  Now to tackle the real issue.  Here's some picks of the leaks.  I had someone spray water outside while I looked inside, without the screen door attached (pain to remove). 

Screen Door Removal

The screen door was kind of a pain to get off.  Those Roberson square head screws were in TIGHT and with a tough angle at which to get to them, with the main door in the way a bit.  I need to get new screws now since two of the heads were a bit damaged getting them out of the screen door mount. Not sure if Phillips screws would do any better and not sure I could find machine torque screws in that form-factor & length.

Has anyone changed those screws out for something better? 

Door seal replacement

Has anyone found a good replacement for the door seal (strip)? 

The way the current strip is placed on the door, at least as it sits on the side of the hinges, it's a horrible placement, I think. It gets "pushed" out of the way unlike all other sides of the door. Maybe I can simply augment that seal with one that's on the core of the door itself and not just on the outer overlap of the door.  Not sure that's too clear.  Maybe these picks will help?  But, that will certainly affect how the door closest.  It would have to be a very thin seal for sure.

Basically from top to bottom on the hinge side the door leaks.  I've head to keep the canopy extended more than I'd like to so I'm not cleaning up puddles of water after rainstorms.  I'm trying to get & keep #110 in perfect order, especially before the rally in May.  🙂 

PXL_20230324_185155405.jpg

PXL_20230324_185141667.jpg

PXL_20230324_185720833.jpg

PXL_20230324_185715998.jpg

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

I have not messed with the door screws, but I have upon occasion replaced other screws with torx heads so they can be tightened without camming-out the phillips head.

Two good sources for stainless sheet metal and machine screws/bolts in both inch and metric sizes are Bolt Depot ( https://www.boltdepot.com/ ) and Mcmaster-Carr ( https://www.mcmaster.com/ ). In some cases you can specify the quantity; in others you can only get the pre-packaged quantity. For small orders, shipping ends up costing more than the product 😞

• Like 1

Tom & Holly

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite I #409 - 2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3L Gas, 4x4 Z71, Dbl Cab, Std Bed

2023-10-16OliverCampedStates(medium).jpg.8e9964c26c7927a0077806565b9dcfc2.jpg

• Moderators

Pretty sure the door normally arrives from the manufacturer (likely Lippert)  with the screen door and door as one unit. We've never tried to remove our screen door.

If you were in Tampa Bay/pinellas, I'd suggest a visit to my local Ace hardware, or Tri-city bolt and screw, or Pinellas Fasteners for quality screws. You probably have a distributor like that near you. 

Tri-city is always crowded with the trades early morning,  lunch time, and after three. I avoid their busy times, and they're super helpful in locating a few odd bits for me. Probably less than big box stores, and better quality.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I put this on the wrong thread, but here it is again. 

I found out tonight that the door is leaking between the door frame and the hull. The entire door and frame needs to be pulled and resealed. Not looking forward to it. 

Also need to order the big seal/gasket under the awning from Oliver. Again, a pain and will take two people to remove the awning

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

I just called Oliver. They just use the grey Butyl Tape on the walk-in doors, so I'm good.  They did say I'll need to go thru Lippart for a new door seal.  I think that's another spot that can be a problem, although for now I have augmented it with another small, "double-tubed", seal on the hinge side of the inner frame.  It works so well I don't see any more light shining through now.  It's only a temporary stop-gap to get me through to the Rally in May, unless I get the seal before then. 

I'm hoping nothing in life comes up so I can meet more Ollie owners.

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

This little right-angle drill bit holder did okay.  A good space savor for any project.

Lippart used screen door screws that were VERY, VERY TIGHT to get into the holes of the hinges.  

right-angle-drill-bit.jpeg

Chris
Augusta, Georgia