Using a fan to air out the hull - An UPDATE and Suggestion for everyone.

I thought I had posted something about airing out the hull using a fan, but that was nearly two years ago and I can't find the thread, if there is one at all. 

I wanted to update my findings on hull 110 (2016), which I purchased used in 2021.  I had always noticed a "funny" smell from the trailer, especially from within the hull area.  Not a horrible wet smell, but maybe more of a mechanical, glue-like smell.  

Well, even today the trailer still smells MUCH better, even after sitting in the sun all last summer.  The inner hull is still not nearly as bad as it was when I purchased the trailer. 

I think Oliver, or more efficiently, the new owners, should air out their hulls a few weeks after they get them.  Some owners get their new trailers so fast that I bet glue is still curing upon pick-up.

This is what I do.  A 24" fan blowing into the passenger side bed hatch with the dinette hatch open, tyically the one closest to the bathroom (not pictured), along with all windows open and roof fans running at least on low.  Try it, see if it improves the hull smell, even on older Olivers.  Good luck. I ran mine for hours on a nice sunny day the first time.

I'm only showing the electrical hatch open, as that's where I was working replacing the CO detector today. 😉 

ollie-fan-air-out.jpg

ollie-fan-air-in.jpg

• Like 7

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

10 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

I thought I had posted something about airing out the hull using a fan, but that was nearly two years ago and I can't find the thread, if there is one at all. 

I wanted to update my findings on hull 110 (2016), which I purchased used in 2021.  I had always noticed a "funny" smell from the trailer, especially from within the hull area.  Not a horrible wet smell, but maybe more of a mechanical, glue-like smell.  

Well, even today the trailer still smells MUCH better, even after sitting in the sun all last summer.  The inner hull is still not nearly as bad as it was when I purchased the trailer. 

I think Oliver, or more efficiently, the new owners, should air out their hulls a few weeks after they get them.  Some owners get their new trailers so fast that I bet glue is still curing upon pick-up.

This is what I do.  A 24" fan blowing into the passenger side bed hatch with the dinette hatch open, tyically the one closest to the bathroom (not pictured), along with all windows open and roof fans running at least on low.  Try it, see if it improves the hull smell, even on older Olivers.  Good luck. I ran mine for hours on a nice sunny day the first time.

I'm only showing the electrical hatch open, as that's where I was working replacing the CO detector today. 😉 

ollie-fan-air-out.jpg

ollie-fan-air-in.jpg

Brilliant, Chris!  This should be SOP prior to a trip after a long storage period.  Thanks for the heads-up, brother!

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators

Don't forget that the area between the hulls gets a "natural' flow of air via the scupper holes in the bottom and the fresh air grill in the cabin.  Certainly, Wayfinder's suggestion would speed up the process for new hulls and/or for those of us that need to really get the air flowing in this area for one reason or another.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I’m surprised you are still noticing any strong “glue like smell” on a 6 to 7 year old trailer.  Everything should have outgassed long ago.  The “new Oliver trailer smell” of fiberglass resin & adhesive was gone from our Ollie after about 6 months or so.  You may want to thoroughly check all the systems (plumbing leaks, electrical/batteries, etc.) and make sure there isn’t something still generating that odor.

If you are using any type of chemical treatment in your black or gray tank it could be a leak & odor from that.  We had an odor issue under the dinette seats that ended up being a broken toilet mounting flange that was leaking very slowly onto the top of the black tank and between the hulls.  Thankfully we don’t do #2 in the trailer bathroom, #1 only, so cleanup and installing a new toilet flange wasn’t too bad of a job.  #2 is done at roadside rest stops and at campground bathrooms.   Never had any other odor issues since then. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Interesting…
This June 16th we will have our owned our Oliver 3 years. We have not experienced any unusual glue, resin or strange orders in our hull or interior since we took delivery. At delivery we had a very faint odor of resin which dissipated or off gassed pretty quickly within the first few days. Oliver really did an amazing job of cleaning our interior. 

@Wayfinder I hope you can locate the source of your issue. 

Patriot🇺🇸

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Oh, don't misunderstand me, most all the smells have remained "gone" since I did that initial blow-out nearly two years ago.  I only mentioned it because I too found it strange that a 5 year old TT (then to me) still had some "funky" smells.  No, not really glue or resins, or poo or pee, just, well, something, and not horrible, just a bit noticeable. 

The smells are mostly all gone since I did that initial air-out.  Just wanted to bring it up as a possible solution and to state how surprised I have been that they remained gone since.  Now that I think of of it, it might be good for people with bad allergies, although, they may not elect to go camping in the first place.  LOL

Cheers,

Chris

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia