Transition from the outback to the Oliver world

Apreski

image.thumb.jpeg.f64d0ce3511a6de9d6e4e1ee1c52bdd5.jpeg

Hello Oliver World

I have spent the last three summer and shoulder seasons either tent camping out of my Land Cruiser or towing the pictured UEV 490, a South African overland camper. This setup has allowed me to cross many “gatekeepers” in search of remote camping locations. These solo excursions have been awe inspiring  and on a more recent trip, harrowing.

But alas, a greater power has intervened. My wife and a neighboring doctor friend has commanded this 74 year old kid return from the abyss to a civilized camping life. Today, I sold my beloved 490. I will toast her tonight with some Tennessee whiskey.

In a couple of weeks, I will begin a 1,400 mile trek to Howenwald to attend an egg hatching on April 24th.

SPOILER ALERT: I have never been within 50 feet of an Oliver. Yes I hear you. “The guy must be an idiot”.

My defense: 20 years of camping in fiberglass eggshell Bigfoot campers, five months of perusing u-tube videos and the Oliver forums. As any IH8MUD member or Oliver forum member knows, if it passes the John Davies Seal of Aproval, it must be gold.

The purpose of this posting, is to apologize in advance for the heavy load I will no doubt become to the Oliver family. I am more intimidated by the technological advances of this camper than some of my gatekeeper crossings. If alarm bells go off the first night, I will retreat with sleeping bag to my Land Cruiser and fall fast asleep in the fetal position. Deal with the educational curve the next day.

For the record, I will not blame John if he blocks me.

Looking forward to safe camping with both my family and the Oliver family.

Steve Corzette

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

2023 Legacy E2:#1377 twin bed, Platinum Lithium: Delivery 04/24/2023....2017 Land Cruiser, 2nd & 3rd row delete, skid plates, sliders, roof rack,  ARB drawers

image.jpeg.21514e67ee7f748dba2cdb703409759f.jpeg

Hey Steve, Thanks for the fine and interesting introduction. You will be right on our heels as we will be checking out of DCSP on the morning of April 24. Who knows, if we have any unforeseen need to swing back by the factory we may get to meet and get acquainted. I'm like you with much of the tech on board. It will all become second nature but the first few nights may be interesting. But hey, it's all about the adventure, whether sleeping through rough weather like other new owners did last night or dealing with alarms we don't know yet how to cancel. All stories to be told around the campfire down the road. Congratulations and hopefully see you in Hohenwald!

Chris Neuhaus

• Like 4

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

Welcome, Steve! We chatted earlier about the LC/E2 owners spreadsheet. 

I was in your shoes last summer, but our Hiker squaredrop had no plumbing, HVAC, or electrical. So I also inundated the forum with questions. At least you are used to towing a similar load. Our Hiker is 680 pounds empty and maybe 1200 loaded with too much stuff. So no brakes before, either. 

I didn’t realize that you were one of MUD’s Conquerer owners. David’s shop was in Bellefontaine, my home town. We visited a few times. That’s where I bought my steeply discounted National Luna 90 Twin, when he was changing over to snowmaster or what brand. 

Now, he’s the importer for Kimberly, and we looked at and seriously considered a Kruiser. But that was in 2020, and with shipping increases and higher costs everywhere, the $100k Kruiser quickly turned into a $150k plus trailer. A vast majority of where we’d go can be reached with the Oliver, so that sealed the deal. 

Enjoy the experience! After a whopping three days of ownership, we are thrilled!

• Like 6

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

1 hour ago, Apreski said:

I have never been within 50 feet of an Oliver.

Welcome Steve! 
Carrie and I bought our E2 the same way. We also had considerable experience with camping and bought our Oliver without ever seeing one in person. I didn’t have any concerns with making the down payment and waiting the many months for our trailer. We picked up on December 5th 2022. Everything has gone fantastic! We leave for another quick trip (to St. George, Utah) in 5 days. Still feels new and exciting. 
Good luck! 

Kirk

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

@Apreski, you'd be surprised at the number of folks who've bought an Oliver sight unseen. Most have been very happy. The ones who weren't often had zero camping experience. 

I hope you love your Oliver as much as we do our 2008 little Elite.

I'll look forward to your comments. 

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Apreski said:

. Today, I sold my beloved 490. I will toast her tonight with some Tennessee whiskey.

You'll treasure those memories for the rest of your life, I'm sure. 

Now, you can make new ones. With a new trailers, in different places.

We're here to help. Ask away.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Welcome to the group Steve.  I don’t think you’ll regret your decision!  I would be a little intimidated by the tech that is on the new trailers, too.  There was much less tech on 2016 models.  There will be lots of help here when you need it.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks everyone for the great support. The apparent quality of construction and amenity package on the new Oliver line seems almost decadent. I am ready for it!!

Some timing questions:  When are hull and vin numbers normally available? Has the weather and or supply line issues delayed any recent production dates?

No doubt, April will be a very LONG month.

• Like 2

2023 Legacy E2:#1377 twin bed, Platinum Lithium: Delivery 04/24/2023....2017 Land Cruiser, 2nd & 3rd row delete, skid plates, sliders, roof rack,  ARB drawers

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Apreski said:

Some timing questions:  When are hull and vin numbers normally available? Has the weather and or supply line issues delayed any recent production dates?

You should call your sales rep, I think your number should be available by now.  Your delivery is on my birthday so I’m sure it will be a good day!  I haven’t heard of any recent supply chain delays, you should be on time.

We have friends in Steamboat Springs, we’re usually there in July when our grandson (in Durango) goes to the hockey camp there.  Nice town!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks Mike,

I will call Phil on Monday. Need to start pricing insurance…need a VIN.

I spent much of my childhood in the late 1950s-1960s on the Box S Ranch in the small Post Office town of Kerrville. The old ranch is now a subdivision.

I have a 70 x 25 foot driveway six blocks from downtown Steamboat. The camp fees and electric are free for Ollie owners. However the home toilet flushes are expensive.

Steve😆

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

• Moderators

We found a good deal with good sams, 15 years ago, and have used them ever since. We get credit for layup , once a year, which is nice. 

Check a few. We got a good deal for our boats, with progressive,  this year.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 10:00 AM, Apreski said:

The purpose of this posting, is to apologize in advance for the heavy load I will no doubt become to the Oliver family.

@Apreski: Greetings, Steve and, welcome aboard!  OBTW:  "You ain't heavy, you're my brother"!

As long-time L/Cruiser owners and car campers, backcountry skiers, and almost as "long in the tooth" as y'all, we feel your pain in making this transition.  But.... that said, I'll make a prediction:  You will not find yourself in the fetal position on Night-1; or at least not in the Cruiser!   Just say'n...

Keep us posted on the "hatching operations" later this month, brother.

Safe travels!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Welcome, you are probably fully aware that your Cruiser is already pretty darn heavy, with the offroady stuff, so if you do not already have it, install an OME HD suspension kit. Try to keep the LE2 light (no cargo on the tongue, OK on the back). Rear airbags for leveling “may” not be needed with the stiffer springs. The stock LC suspension is pretty cushy - comfy but not especially great for heavy loads. Keep the gear off the roof of the Cruiser, it gets really tippy.These trucks are super stout and you can safely go over the GVW with suspension work. But it isn’t really advisable, legally speaking, in the event of a collision that causes injury, so publicly I am saying don’t do it.

I purposely avoided falling into the bottomless financial pit of overland accessories. Been there, done that with my LX450.

Do not be like this Tacoma, he probably has a negative reserve payload for essentials like food, wife, and firearms…. 🙂

4D05DFDD-BB85-45D2-B725-FC740CA19D77.thumb.jpeg.8f16f328d43b502ef6ed19396ffa9637.jpeg

PS, the LE2 is great if you have company, but for *solo* camping the LE1 will be a far FAR better choice behind an LC200 in any form of modification. 

PPS I don’t have the authority to block anybody, nor would I wish to.

WELCOME WELCOME.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

I already installed Firestone airbags per your instructions. In an effort to reduce overland gear weight, I removed the 270 awning (54LBS). Remember, I have deleted the second & third row seats which offsets the ARB drawers. I will delete (for this trip) my foldable e-bike which sits behind the driver. So in essence I have only the armored belly & roof rack.

also took your advice on tire size. LT285/60R18 ...General Grabber A/TX

Needless to say, I will not have a need for my roof mounted overland gear, extra water, no genny, etc. The 30LB propane tanks will add an extra empty wt of 12LBS but as a general rule only half full, offsetting 10 of the 12 LBS. I wanted the extra capacity to feed my propane fire pit for extended boondocking.

For some strange reason I ordered the front rack, which will be empty.

The BIG QUESTION.... WILL SHE FLOAT?? Solid fiberglass construction...reminds me of my boat.

I will be returning home around May 1st...maximum flood conditions. I want to avoid the Denver/ Eisenhower Tunnel climb. Going north via Poudre Canyon or to IH80 via Laramie/Walton or Cresent/Craig are flood prone areas. Craig is already flooded. The southern route via New Mexico/ Moab may be my only option. Long route with many possible wash out areas. Should be fun.

Just kidding about the boat.

Cheers,      Steve

• Like 3