Honda Pioneer 520 utv trail riding

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Ok. I know this has zip to do with Olivers, but a number of us do  enjoy trail riding.

We are looking at a side by side  Honda Pioneer 520 vs Honda Pioneer 700, because we can load it into the pickup bed, as we have done with our Honda Rancher many times. 

The 520 is definitely smaller, with a 50" width, than the 700, which is 59.9 wide. Price difference isn't the deal (even though not a lot), it's the flexibility of being able to take it up the ramps to the truck bed and go.

Any of you have experience with the Pioneer 500 or 520? Or, fans of the 700?

My husband and  I sat in a 500 today (same cab, basically), and thought it would probably be fine. ( We're average sized folks, 5'11 and 5'4).

We use the utv a lot for property maintenance on our camping acreage on WNC. The dump bed on the 520 is tiny (say 25" x 35"), but it's still a dump bed, and can carry some tools.

We have a bunch of trails that we've made on our mountain property,  and the narrower width is kind of appealing.  As is the Honda badge, as our over 20 year old Rancher has never given us issues, with regular maintenance. . 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I know this has zip to do with Olivers,

Well, I’ll make it about Ollie’s for you!  Can it move your Elite?

Mossey

• Haha 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

No, i don'tthink so. . Tow rating on the pioneer is 1000 pounds. So, ...

What we can do, is tow the Olliel,,and take the utv in the truck bed, as we've done in the past with the Rancher. At least,  theoretically. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

So, we bought the Pioneer 520. Got lucky that one popped up with our sales rep in Florida.  (Original guy ordered it, decided too small, bought a bigger CanAm)  We lucked out. Towed it up to WNC.

This weekend,  we added winch, bumper,  windshield, mirrors, and roof over the rollover cage. Swapped wheels and tires from the Axis, bigger and badder, but same bolt pattern, just to check the ride with bigger tires.. (Slightly different offset.). 🤣

Fun little machine. We'll put it to work. 

20230603_171525.jpg

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4