Solar awning?

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Years ago, our friend Chuck talked about his plans to (maybe) make window awnings from solar panels.

This company is planning to go bigger, and better. A flexible solar awning that can supply 1200 watts when deployed....

Novel idea. Create shade, and use the sun to create power. Wonder how well it will hold up? 

https://www.rvnews.com/xponent-power-partners-to-produce-solar-awning/

• Like 8

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Very interesting.  Imagine two of those (curbside and street side), ~2,400 watts with two (under ideal conditions), but that would power a LOT of appliances & accessories.   No charging while driving though since the awnings would be retracted, but still a very cool product.  Hope it succeeds.  

• Like 4

I've seen this before. Not like a real awning when deployed. More like a pergola because of the gaps between the panel sections. So, it wouldn't keep rain off of you and would provide only partial shade. Of course, with all that power, you could run the A/C...

• Like 4

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Roll-up solar panels work great on the Webb space telescope, so should work on an awning. 😁

Funny that Mossey showed the sliding solar extensions, as I was already going to see if something like that would work on ours. A fellow Hiker trailer owner did something similar. Not extensions to existing panels, but hidden panels that slid out from under his roof top tent. They worked great!

• Like 8

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

I've seen this before. Not like a real awning when deployed. More like a pergola because of the gaps between the panel sections. So, it wouldn't keep rain off of you and would provide only partial shade. Of course, with all that power, you could run the A/C...

I went to their website for better photos. As you said, more like a pergola.  Looks like thin, slender panels that somehow stack up when not deployed.

https://xponentpower.com/

Watching the two videos on their site explained a bit. Especially the comparison video of a standard awning, and theirs, in windy conditions.  The "pergola " design offers a lot more time to use in somewhat windy conditions.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 10:44 PM, Steve Morris said:

Roll-up solar panels work great on the Webb space telescope, so should work on an awning. 😁

Funny that Mossey showed the sliding solar extensions, as I was already going to see if something like that would work on ours. A fellow Hiker trailer owner did something similar. Not extensions to existing panels, but hidden panels that slid out from under his roof top tent. They worked great!

I follow Escape pages and I like mods done by Johnny Hung.  He made a few with solar panels that slide out from back and both sides.  Not only do they provide more solar power, but they act as exterior shades over the windows.

• Like 4

2019 Oliver Elite II, Hull #550  --  2019 Ram 1500 Hemi 7.4L  Big Horn

spacer.png

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Saw this today. A rollup solar awning has entered the international marketplace. Kind of pretty, too.

https://www.rvnews.com/solar-awning-competition-grows/

• Like 6

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

The belly in their photo is ridiculous. Screenshot_20230629_204344_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 4/27/2023 at 5:28 PM, RoadKingsofGA said:

I follow Escape pages and I like mods done by Johnny Hung.  He made a few with solar panels that slide out from back and both sides.  Not only do they provide more solar power, but they act as exterior shades over the windows.

I camped near a Living Vehicle last year. The LV has two levels of solar. One which slides under the other so there is charging capability while underway. When you set up at a site, the lower array slides out on rails from underneath the fixed array to form a shade structure over the fold down deck. This would be interesting for someone to do with their Oliver

https://www.livingvehicle.com/2024-options#solar-awning-option-open-2

• Like 3

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

19 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

The belly in their photo is ridiculous.

Great idea, but it's bulky and ugly as sin.

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CRM said:

Maybe. But so are are fixed panels. 

The advantage of fixed panels are that they charge as you travel. Rolled up solar does zip on the road. I'd want at least a combo.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Regarding this topic, the following video was just posted today.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

• Moderators

I agree.  The more options, the better.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 5 months later...

May be a good idea as we have basically hijacked the solar awning one.

The Lightweight Solar Farm concept is valid now that the panels can be stored in a compact way, and cost wise appear less than ridged, not to mention being more eco friendly from a materials perspective.

However, with the type of chemistry the CIGS are using, they operate so well in shade, and can be mounted on our entire available roof with NO AERO DRAG (My objection to the OTT and RV industry design so far anyway), the solar farm looses out to the LSF concept in a lot of ways.  That's why I suggested adding this to the flexible solar panel thread.  Either that or we patent the idea!  

Sorry Awning Solar Guys for this invasion......

🙂

JPR

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

I moved the hijacks to this thread 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I wanted to add more capacity to my factory 340 watts because you have to remember those are rated watts not what you actually get to use, and the amount you actually get to use depends on where you are located and weather conditions. What I ended up with was additional Zamp panels, three 90 watts and two 45 watts equaling 360 watts. I went this route because it was the easiest way to fit them on the roof and merge them with the existing panels. Another consideration is when parked in partial shade the individual 12 volt panels wired in parallel  that is shaded is the only one that is affected by that shading unlike when you have panels wired in series. So I have a total of 700 rated watts on the roof and in prime conditions here in Minnesota I can harvest a little over 500 watts. With that said it makes it harder for me to justify a dc to dc  charger for when traveling for it has no problem keeping my 400 amps of Battleborns charged up. So far I'm happy with the outcome of the upgrade.       

IMG_1280.thumb.JPG.0e4e93c96eac1b55f535254f1ef11bd9.JPG

IMG_1270.thumb.JPG.5dfc793d78108089abb5c72e3ed57ba1.JPG

• Like 9

On 4/2/2023 at 4:44 PM, Steve Morris said:

On 6/30/2023 at 10:13 AM, CRM said:

I agree with both of you, in a way.  As per CRM, yea for sure.  Heavy too!.  As per Steve, yea great idea especially if your TV is a 3/4 ton or higher because such a design to be wind resistant/proof it would sure add PSI to your Ollie Tires.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

But, our OTT's are designed to be aerodynamically minimalists.  Hence why I don't like and will not install ridged flat solar panels poking up into the airstream and obvious visual distractions from the elegance of Mr. Scott's design.  Especially so to our audience with a minimalist's perspectives of architectural beauty.  

On the other hand, when we have proven, flat laid, Lightweight, efficient, flexible solar panels, that can last a long time directly adhered to the roof surface;  that becomes a game changer for some of us. 

GJ Note:  Can you believe that this pea brained Mechanical Engineer can use so many big architectural concepts and words in a row?   OMG I may be turning into an Architect in my ole age.  OK REDEMPTION  is now necessary:::::

It will be interesting to see how the CIGS panels actually pan out in direct sun, as well as the possible impact on the heat transferal through the skin of an OTT roof system.  

GJ Note:  Whoo, that was close.  Looks like I'm back to being a M.E. again.  That rabbit hole could have been my demise.  😞

Its Friday GIF

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

Whoo, that was close.  Looks like I'm back to being a M.E. again.  That rabbit hole could have been my demise.  😞

Don't bet the ranch on that - once down the rabbit hole the rabbits tend to take over!  rabbit funny s GIF

• Haha 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

16 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

On the other hand, when we have proven, flat laid, Lightweight, efficient, flexible solar panels, that can last a long time directly adhered to the roof surface;  that becomes a game changer for some of us. 

In watching a video wherein two CIGS panels (each 14”x85”x100W) were applied to a sailboat deck, care was taken to avoid adherence of these panels directly in contact with the fiberglas gelcoat; reason being difficulty of removal and potential damage to the gelcoat in doing so. Rather, the panels were positioned in select areas where a non-skid surface treatment was already applied, the thought being that removal of that surface treatment along with the affixed panels would be easier and lessen any chance of gelcoat damage. That said, a similar practice may be of benefit with an Oliver rooftop install. I too like the advantage of said panels, as they can be laid to conform with design curvatures while maintaining a low profile appearance, aerodynamics and “architectural beauty”!

• Like 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

I am putting together some questions for these Yuma CIGS panels.  But have a question for our owners:

Not having access to my Ollie, what is the length and width of the above OTT Solar Package panels?  

Thanks

GJ

Edited by Geronimo John
Picture deleeted..... was an OE, not OE2. My bad.

On 12/30/2023 at 3:13 PM, Geronimo John said:

Not having access to my Ollie, what is the length and width of the above OTT Solar Package panels? Thanks GJ

GJ, I can measure mine tomorrow afternoon. Will update asap.

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Hey @Geronimo John, I measured today as promised. The double panel on our hull measures 58 1/4" long (front to back) and 52 7/16" wide (width of 2 panels).

Our roof layout looks quite different vs. your picture. I know you have an OE2, but your picture looks like maybe it's an OE1. I have the Winegard Sat up front, then about a foot of length, then the panels and 2-3" to the MaxxFAN. The pic above goes from bathroom vent to MaxxFAN all the length of the panel.

I noticed a serial # Z2015071020403 on mine today, so thinking it's a Zamp panel. The measurements of the panels are within an 1/8" of these, two 170W panels, 340W total: Amazon.com: Zamp Solar Legacy Series 170-Watt Roof Mount Solar Panel Expansion Kit. Additional Solar Power for Off-Grid RV Battery Charging - KIT1009 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Solar Panels Front.jpg

Solar Panels Rear.jpg

• Thanks 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Chris and John:

Thank you!  Roger I snipped the wrong picture from OTT.  Have deleted it above.

I went deep into my pictures and snipped this one of our roof line.  We just have up front the Omni Antenna, vent stack and bath fan.    

image.png.270d9a5bf866e0702fa1032304e91ece.png

The Yuma Copper Iridium Gallium Selenide (CIGS) panels are rated at 200 watts and are roughly 26" X 80" in size.  Ollie is 7' wide with two puff up/downs along the width of the roof.  As such, dimensionally they will easily fit on our roof running starboard and port (S/P) direction with room to spare. 

With your measurements in mind:

• Without moving the antenna we can easily get two each 200 watt  panels laid S/P.
  • If I relocate antenna, it appears that we may be able to get three of the 26" wide panels laid aft of the bathroom fan and vent stacks.

Granted laying the panels over the vertical roof section and their run up/down curved sections will reduce the outputs of the panels likely in the 8% range.  "ASS of U & ME" such would de-rate the panels to 184 watts (maximum calculated) output.  One of the significant benefits of these panels in partial shade is that they only de-rate by the shade over the sections shaded.  Unlike many other systems, partial shade impacts the entire panel.  For planning purposes, I'm going to assume only 175 watts max output.

So, conservatively we are looking at getting maybe easily 350 watts or maybe 525 watts of power if we relocate roof penetrations.  Point is go get what we can with virtually zero aerodynamic drag, and far less visual pollution to boot.

I have sent the MFG Rep a series of questions about their panels, and will update this thread with their responses.  

GJ

Edited by Geronimo John
Clarifying hopeful expectations.
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2